Should I Get A SM7b Or A RE20?

the owl banned me cause i trolled his re320. i sorta wanna buy a brand new re27 cause i want to believe the ones i had were all old and failing but im pretty sure the good one i had was sounding the way its suppsoed to which was almost but not quite. had the same fail as the re320 a weird sound attached to it that only the re20 doesnt seem to have in this class of mics but the re20 is airy and slightly bassier than id want it to be.

the owl banned me cause i trolled his re320. i sorta wanna buy a brand new re27 cause i want to believe the ones i had were all old and failing but im pretty sure the good one i had was sounding the way its suppsoed to which was almost but not quite. had the same fail as the re320 a weird sound attached to it that only the re20 doesnt seem to have in this class of mics but the re20 is airy and slightly bassier than id want it to be.

You got banned for being a denigration early on. Now, if you had been nice and contributed a lot, teh mods would be more lenient on you when you do decide to degrade. :D

Measurements by me, from my blog post...
Xaudia: ElectroVoice EV RE20 vs RE320
No wonder you don't like the 320. That presence boost between 4k-7k really makes any mic sucky, if you ask me. The RE20 doesn't have that. It's is very difficult to find mics nowadays that do NOT have the presence boost. You pretty much have to pay extra to get the more "vintage" varieties, like an SM7b or a SM57 Unidyne, a EV BK1, I think I would even say an E906 does not sound like it has a presence boost either. I hate presence boosted mics.

.... I hate presence boosted mics.

I'm inclined to agree with you there Soundchaser. The RE20 was more immediately usable on bass guitar. I haven't yet done an AB on kick, which is the intended use for this one.

I tried out an AKG D5 recently. That also had a presence boost, which I did not enjoy, but it did find use on some backing vocals, and dropped into a mix quite nicely. If you used it for everything it wound sound horrific.

Back