Should I Get A SM7b Or A RE20?

To my ears the e935 and ND767a are pretty close in sound, but just slightly smoother. I'm inclined to think I may be using it more than the ND767a.

I was on the fence for a couple of days watching your ND767a thinking for $50 why not get it as a spare. Having just bought the e935 I couldn't quite get myself to hit the buy it now button.
I figured the e935 had to be better at such a price. ND767a reminds me of russian made technology. It may have some crazy powerful specs and be cheaper but the pricier technology from slightly more advanced countries always pulls ahead. Wireless versions of the 900 series just look slick too. wireless versions of the nd767a look so funny only cool if you know their specs over something like a sm58 lol. im glad i sold it now. i want to hold a wireless 900 series mic. look at that hot girl holding that mic :o

....I got a lot of what I say from other people after I agree with them. quite a few people say shure mics in general are honky and nasal and muddy. Right now I'm horribly disappointed with how much i like the re20. i didnt wanna keep it. :( oh god what if i sell the shiny re27 and keep this old clunker? ooooh god whyyyy oh goooood, lol. some of you advice and questions did just help me. i tilted my speakers towards me just now, lol. i have a lot of mental excuses for why i wont be buying certain mics. i like trying to box myself into a specific mic. like you said my room isnt the best so a at4040 is probably overall not worth it. same excuses i made for an sm7b. i heard it can be nasal when slightly off axis and not as clear as a re20 etc. i also heard plenty of people say the boosted upper mids on the md421 suck and its crappier than a re20 for vocals. like i said ive had many people talk crap about the re27 in comparison to the re20. im slowly boxing myself in. i think im at the final show down between the re27 and re20 and i think i know subcontiously the re20 will win but i dont want it to. i need to read up more on why to hate the md441 i already know it has off axis problems and proximity effect. boom there we go. back to the re20. fuck the md441...

'Shures 'honky
EVs all cut'
Reading about '441's..
;)
You have since seemed to have stepped back away from the abyss.. but if I may
Slow the f**k down
You are not anywhere near the place for 'final showdown
;)
Damn near any one of these mics can sound just fine -given the right context. But then knowing when and where that is actually happening -or not, and why, does take a little ..time.

Geez and one of these days I need to get an SM7 so I can play better in these little 'chats. :D

..hey just to add something actual useful.. I had been fairly ..um let's sat frustrated with with a really great mic called the PR35
Tone and response' for days. A nice step up from some of the standard 'ball mics in some cases (I carry the nd767 in my rig bag) But about every singer (males at least 'cluding myself and some females we've seen it on) it really comes home with the extra foam boot fitted over it to kill the plosive noise crap.
Thank you :D

Last edited:
I just want to throw in the EV re320 into the conversation as well :D I might just be a fanboy of it but I believe it belongs in any conversation involving the sm7b or the re20!

Oh wait...now I see the logical flaw :D

Regarding the RE320 I used to have. I saw some people say that the bass roll off switch on that mic makes the mic sound bad for voice because its designed specifically for kick drums. With the bass enabled i found it to have a lingering metalic and hollow bass sound. I will be honest I only tried the bass switch a few times and i didnt think it sounded good at all. I also saw a shootout where the re320 got rated very poorly in comparison to many other mics when the bass roll off was on.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about because the RE320 doesn't even have a bass roll off switch. There is only one switch on the entire microphone, and that is a low-mid scoop for an enhanced kick drum sound. It is most definitely NOT designed specifically for kick drums (hence the switch). It has a beautiful sound when in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

:facepalm:

Oh wait...now I see the logical flaw :D

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about because the RE320 doesn't even have a bass roll off switch. There is only one switch on the entire microphone, and that is a low-mid scoop for an enhanced kick drum sound. It is most definitely NOT designed specifically for kick drums (hence the switch). It has a beautiful sound when in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

:facepalm:

i know the re320 has a scoop scwitch and not a rolloff. i just forgot because i hate it so much compared to the re20 and 27. they can keep their horrible scoop which is why i said their roll off as designed for kick drum and not good for vocal. i just forgot how horrifically that switch rapes the mic aka a scoop rather than a rolloff

i know the re320 has a scoop scwitch and not a rolloff.

Yeah sure...that's why you called it a "bass rolloff" switch. :facepalm:

i just forgot because i hate it so much compared to the re20 and 27. they can keep their horrible scoop which is why i said their roll off as designed for kick drum and not good for vocal. i just forgot how horrifically that switch rapes the mic aka a scoop rather than a rolloff

It just further shows your ignorance when you state that you hate the re320 but like the re20. They are as close spec-wise and part-wise as any two mics could ever be! You can't hate one and love the other.

Once again, the low-mid scoop is designed to give the re320 that "insta-good" setting when used on a kick. It's basically like an Audix D6 (you probably tried to sing into that too :laughings:) with the switch enabled. Only a retard would try to sing into it with the scoop on.

Back