Group buy preamp poll...

Which preamp?

• Rackmount #1(3-band EQ, HP/LP filter, VU meter, no DI)

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Rackmount #2(4-band EQ, HP/LP filter, no VU, no DI)

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Rackmount #3(2-band EQ, HP filter, with DI in and VU meter)

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Standalone - 2-ch., HP filter, VU on each channel?, no DI?

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
but if we ordered, say, 400 units of the same one instead of three different units, would the price be even lower?

but if we ordered, say, 400 units of the same one instead of three different units, would the price be even lower?

Not much. Do the math.

100 units: $200
200 units: $175

That means that by spreading the R&D costs out across twice as many units, the cost goes down by $25. That means that half of the R&D cost in quantities of 100 is $25, and thus, the R&D cost per unit in quantities of 100 is $50. Therefore, the minimum the price can possibly reach with an infinite number of units is $50 less than the cost at 100 units, or $150.

This, of course, doesn't take into account other cost savings due to economies of scale, but we're probably not talking about making thousands or tens of thousands of units, so I'd imagine $150 is pretty close to the magic minimum we could ever hope to achieve even if we limited ourselves to a single model.

^^^^yeah that.

i'd rather have 3 models available for $175 or even $200 a piece than 1 model that i don't really want for $150. i mean of course i'll buy whatever is offered, but i think it's much more worth it to give the people a choice.

Just seen this thread!!??

What are these preamps? Where can I find out more info on these? When will they be available? Will they be any good (better than Tampa & DMP3)?

Chance-- I know you've said that you want to get this underway ASAP, but any ballpark estimates for when you want payment to be in? Even rough guesses would be helpful. Thanks in any case (again)!

also, do we know if these guys have line ins for just using the eq?

I've gotten a lot of messages asking this. yes it does. There is a push switch on the lower left side of each pre to select mic/line level.
BTW, I'm still waiting for the specs for everything

I too have the MPA-gold which is quite good. I love the tube plate control. These pres however, are in a different league.

i have a cheapo ART MPA gold with none stock tube, but this looks real interesting :)

Well, let me tell you something about your cheapo MPA. I've had mine for over two years now. It has a five year warranty. Last week I emailed ART because my input gain pots are scratchy. Cleaning hadn't helped. I told them I didn't want to take it out of service, so could they please send me replacement pots, and the VU meter lamps as well. They answered me same day, and the parts are on the way.

Also, having already desoldered the old pots, I can say the PCB and the assembly are immaculate. And all of the circuit details seem nice . . . good opamps, toroidal transformer, excellent conversion (I have the Digital MPA). Good front panel controls. VU meters. Discrete input impedance section. I think the ART has nothing to be ashamed of.

A Neve design is going to live or die on the basis of a lot of custom-wound inductors . . . and the first thing everybody wants to do the ribbon mics is replace the trafos. Food for thought . . .

well at least there's a good track record with the chinese manufacture of neve clones. the chameleon labs 7602 is a low cost neve 1073 clone with a great eq section (many users who have experience with the 1073's report that the eq is far more true to its inspiration than the pre section). i had one and sometimes regret selling it just for the eq, even though i prefer to do anything more than low cuts through mic placement or during mixing.

Well, let me tell you something about your cheapo MPA. I've had mine for over two years now. It has a five year warranty. Last week I emailed ART because my input gain pots are scratchy. Cleaning hadn't helped. I told them I didn't want to take it out of service, so could they please send me replacement pots, and the VU meter lamps as well. They answered me same day, and the parts are on the way.

Also, having already desoldered the old pots, I can say the PCB and the assembly are immaculate. And all of the circuit details seem nice . . . good opamps, toroidal transformer, excellent conversion (I have the Digital MPA). Good front panel controls. VU meters. Discrete input impedance section. I think the ART has nothing to be ashamed of.

A Neve design is going to live or die on the basis of a lot of custom-wound inductors . . . and the first thing everybody wants to do the ribbon mics is replace the trafos. Food for thought . . .

Are we going to see a Naiant Mic Pre anywhere down the road?

Are we going to see a Naiant Mic Pre anywhere down the road?

Nothing that would really interest a studio owner. I'm working on a little battery powered-guy though. It can drive a -10dBV input to clipping, but doesn't have near enough headroom for pro use. But I think there are more opportunities in portable gear, especially for institutional use, so that's where I'm looking.

hey man, with the price i got it for compare to the stuff people buy on here, it's cheap :)... other wise i'm happy with it, it sounded better than the DMP3 IMO but that's two totally different design, plus it's a little bit more expensive. I like it for the fact that you can change the tubes and get some variation in the sound + it's got a bunch of functions that's pretty cool + it looks dam cool :)

Here are the specs Chance got for preamp #3.
tncpreamp3specs1abj0.gif

tncpreamp3specs2ayr6.gif

OK..Thanks!

I'm interested in these preamps. I'm wondering how they'll compare to my current M-Audio DMP3 and Tampa?

Back