Group buy preamp poll...

Which preamp?

• Rackmount #1(3-band EQ, HP/LP filter, VU meter, no DI)

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Rackmount #2(4-band EQ, HP/LP filter, no VU, no DI)

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Rackmount #3(2-band EQ, HP filter, with DI in and VU meter)

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Standalone - 2-ch., HP filter, VU on each channel?, no DI?

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
and Marik had certain concerns regarding the tube PSU. These aren't trivial issues.
To fill in that data point - the newb who got that 6802T (me) thought it sounded great, and was clearly among the best deals I ever got on a mic :D (not saying too much, I suppose, because I am a newb)

The reason for the whole thing with Marik is that I can never stand in the way of science and progress :cool::D:cool:

I undertook to retension my ACM-2 and ACM-3, and it was scary, but I got through it. The retail chinese ribbon that I picked up around the same time did have the same problem, and was more difficult to retension because the ends of the ribbon had apparently been glued to the motor (not true with the group buy ribbons).

None of this impacts the very good points that have been made -- just the testimony of one newby who could pretty much tell what he was getting into with the last group buy, and has been *exceedingly* happy with the results.

I haven't yet voted in this poll, because I'm fighting my own ignorance as well as following the feed of information that we're getting. I will get two of the most selected unit, likely.

In the $200-$500 range, you've got the FMR RNP, ART MPA Gold (or Digital MPA), Grace 101 (for a few bucks more), Rane MS1B, SP VTB1, M-Audio DMP3, GT Brick . . . and these are all pres with lots of experience out there, they come with warranties, and you can have them at your door this week. And I have seen many PCBs, I guarantee you ART and Rane (and EH too, forgot them) look nothing like that one.

Wait. You've seen the PCB?

I didn't realize the Grace was quite that cheap. As for the others, the brick is nothing special from what I've seen of it. I pick my $20/channel Peavey mixer pres over the brick with regularity.... M-Audio pres are good, but they're hardly outstanding---a little brittle. I'm not that familiar with ART and Rane.

Or if you want to try DIY, there are the Gyraf designs, the Five Fish kit, all the lunchbox stuff . . .

It pretty much goes without saying that you can build something high quality for less than the cost of buying it pre-built from a boutique hardware manufacturer.

To extrapolate from the mic experience, this is my review: the first description of the condenser mics was, and I think this is a near quote, the brightest mics the poster had ever heard. In the sound samples posted, I thought the tube mic sounded nice. The ribbons sounded like ribbons, so no trouble there. I tended to agree with the poster's reaction to the other condenser mics.

Yup. Chinese FET condensers are universally junk, and I'm actually pretty impressed that the tubes tame that as much as they do. The capsules are pretty awful and inconsistent. That's why I only bought tubes and ribbons. As I understand it, with the exception of the first FET LDC on the products page, that was what almost everybody else did, too. :)

At a similar price multiple you claimed for the preamp, do you really think there isn't a better condenser mic? Say up to $300? You're talking Shure KSM27, 109, or SM81, AT3035 (or even AT2020), and their SDCs, the SP C range . . . people seem to like the CADs, and even the MXL tracks I've heard sounded fine in comparison.

There is such a glut of cheap Chinese mics that you can guarantee to be able to get a mic that is almost identical in every way for not dramatically more money. The only exceptions are the custom designs like the ACM-310. I haven't had enough time to track with that to have an opinion of it.

By contrast, I haven't seen a glut of well designed, mass-manufactured preamps out there. The cheap pres that I've seen people analyze have been cloned from designs by companies like Mackie, whose pres are lackluster at best to begin with, IMHO. Then, they cut corners like putting lots of electrolytic caps throughout the signal path. The resulting pres sound like you'd expect.... :D

It's true the group buy was a good deal for ribbons, especially since it seems that some of the "professional" importers aren't doing any ribbon QC either. But if you look to Shinybox or one of the others who supposedly are inspecting or swapping trannies, that could still be a better path (albeit pricey) for those not comfortable with repair..

Agreed. Again, though, that's a problem that's very specific to ribbon mics. I can't imagine we'd find even a 1% defect rate on something involving what I suspect will involve a bunch of components placed onto a PCB by robots and wave soldered....

So from my outside perspective, it's been a mixed bag. That's hardly the kind of basis for the statement you made above.

Yes, it's a mixed bag. It's also a fairly well understood mixed bag with a lot of problems that are specific to microphones. I'm a lot more comfortable buying Chinese-manufactured products that don't involve any complex mechanical work like capsule manufacture. Heck, every computer I've bought in the last ten years falls into that category. :D

I haven't yet voted in this poll, because I'm fighting my own ignorance as well as following the feed of information that we're getting. I will get two of the most selected unit, likely.

I haven't voted yet, either, because I haven't seen enough info yet to make an informed decision. Pretty much just low-res photos so far. :)

I haven't voted yet, either, because I haven't seen enough info yet to make an informed decision. Pretty much just low-res photos so far. :)

I too will reserve my vote till I have a little more info than...
Impedance - Chance says it sounds good ;)
SNR - Chance says it sounds good ;)
THD - Chance says it sounds good ;)

etc. etc.

Not that I don't believe him, I'm just a consummate geek who likes to compare numbers with subjective reviews. :D

I don't know if I missed it, but wat is the estimate price of these Mic Pres?
From an earlier Chance posting on the Group Buy thread.

Just to give you an IDEA of the cost for the flagship (the one with the DI & meter) If I wanted to just buy one, the cost would be around $600.00. To get a quantity of 100, the cost would be around $200.00. for a quantity of 200 around $175.00.
Keep in mind that this is approximate. I was just notified that Fed Up and USPS have raised their rates as of 08. I don't know about ocean freight. I am basing these prices on the freight, dock fees, broker, and duty from the last GB

I think Chance's comment comparing the preamps to Neve means one of the following:

1. They really do sound similar to Neve and the greatest preamp deal in the world is about to go down on this BBS.

2. Chance & his tech think they sound like Neve because they both got caught up in the hype or both have bad ears.

3. Chance is lying to sell more pre's.

My experience with Chance:
Based on the group mic buy, 5 of the 6 mics I ordered are useful without modification. 3 of the mics will get heavy regular use and replace more expensive mics made by AT & Shure. One mic (ACM2 with severly sagging ribbon) is otherwise useless. Considering the money spent VS quality for all five mics I think it was a very good deal & I'd gladly do it again. Chance's follow through was excellent and he made no false claims.

As far as the preamps go, I would be very suprised if they sound as good as a $800 + pre, and will be very happy (and, franky, shocked) if that is the case. I will be content if the sound quality is similar to a RNP or like model. If the pre's end up costing $200 and sound like a Mackie 1202 I will be bummed and won't likely buy with Chance again. Based on the group mic buy I don't expect such to be the case.

As far as the preamps go, I would be very suprised if they sound as good as a $800 + pre, and will be very happy (and, franky, shocked) if that is the case. I will be content if the sound quality is similar to a RNP or like model. If the pre's end up costing $200 and sound like a Mackie 1202 I will be bummed and won't likely buy with Chance again. Based on the group mic buy I don't expect such to be the case.

ROTFL. Mackie 1202. If you don't mean the VLZ model, then that ranks right up there with my 1604. And rank is the word. :D

my ACM 6802 gets more use than my AT 3035. Beats it by far for my vocal mic (with no mods...so will I have to replace the tube soon, or can it handle the stock voltage?).

that's at least partially because the 3035 is not exactly a gem
imo and all that.

but as far as chance, i don't for a minute believe that he would purposefully mislead anyone on any product, there would be no point.

i know the poll is only a few days old, and we're still waiting for the detailed info, but so far it looks like #3 is is much more popular than the rest...

now just curious, but would anyone here be opposed to the GB being for just that one model? i know i would prefer the 1081-style EQ, but could live without it if it means i could save some $$ in the end. i don't know if chance or those who are planning on participating would go for this, but i thought i would toss the idea out there...

I don't know, but there is a ton of interest from the PSW forum as well as word of mouth from those that came and actually evaluated them. There is a strong POSSIBILITY that they all (except the stand alone) MIGHT be available (100 pieces of each model)

well, i guess when it comes down to it, if the number of orders for any specific model falls below 100, you could always ask those who ordered them if they would like to substitute another in its place

one bit of information about the standalone unit that would make a difference for me is whether it's rack-mountable at all, like on a rack tray -- the DMP3 for instance, is just slightly over 1U in height, which makes it not fit (needs to be slightly less than 1U, in fact, to account for the rack tray itself).

we're taking a lunch break and I checked my E-mail. It seems that the people in the electronics division are having a hard time with the English language. I know that the mic pres are transister based not IC. The input and output are transformer based. I know they took and recorded all the measurements/information in their lab. I am finding that I have to play "show & tell" with them. They keep telling me that the circuit is the same as the ORIGINAL 1073. I don't have the time now, but if someone could E-mail me a jpg of a brochure for any pre amp that shows the information everyone here is requesting. This way, I can (using show & tell) let them see what I am requesting.

i know the poll is only a few days old, and we're still waiting for the detailed info, but so far it looks like #3 is is much more popular than the rest...

now just curious, but would anyone here be opposed to the GB being for just that one model? i know i would prefer the 1081-style EQ, but could live without it if it means i could save some $$ in the end. i don't know if chance or those who are planning on participating would go for this, but i thought i would toss the idea out there...

How many of a single unit needs to be ordered to get the MAX discount?

ow many of a single unit needs to be ordered to get the MAX discount?

chance's guesstimate for 100 of a particular model is around $200, with the price dropping to about $175 at 200 orders. i'm guessing that the more quantities ordered of a particular model, the more the price will drop, but i'm assuming that the pricing is on a non-linear scale, and that the price wouldn't go much lower than $175.

Back