Group buy preamp poll...

Which preamp?

• Rackmount #1(3-band EQ, HP/LP filter, VU meter, no DI)

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Rackmount #2(4-band EQ, HP/LP filter, no VU, no DI)

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Rackmount #3(2-band EQ, HP filter, with DI in and VU meter)

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Standalone - 2-ch., HP filter, VU on each channel?, no DI?

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters

Ironklad Audio

EDIT: THE EQ ON #3 IS A 3-BAND WITH LOW SHELF, PARAMETRIC MID, AND FIXED HIGH SHELF. UNFORTUNATELY THE POLL ITSELF CANNOT BE EDITED, AND THANKS TO TARNATIONSAUCE2 FOR POINTING OUT MY ERROR!

ok folks, at chance's request, here's the poll for the group buy preamps...and even though it might not be ready this time around, i'm going to go ahead and include the 2-ch. standalone just in case. i'm also not including the picture of the standalone unit since it's not in its final form...but just remember that it's slated to be 2-channels, non-rackmount, and i'm guessing with no EQ other than a HP filter.

here's another copy of the photo from the GB thread as well, just in case anyone missed it

edit: just for those who may ask, chance has stated that all preamps are based on the same circuit - only difference lies in the EQ/DI/metering options

Attachments

• project1b.jpg
    project1b.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
I think this poll may be a little premature. We don't know much about these yet, and how can we indicate if we want multiples of a unit?

Anyway, it's a start. I'm not voting, though, until I have more info.

edit:
edit: just for those who may ask, chance has stated that all preamps are based on the same circuit - only difference lies in the EQ/DI/metering options
I don't think he has flat out stated this. I asked the question but don't think I got a specific answer.

i don't think there's any way with these polls to indicate wanting multiple units; i also left open the option of voting for more than 1, since i figured some people might like to order more than 1 model.

as far as specs go, i'm going to assume that they'll all spec out more or less the same, and i personally know which one i want(assuming i get any of them), but i can understand how some people may want to wait for more info...if that's the case, it's not like the poll won't still be here.

Looking at the EQ's, it's obvious what the top and bottom one are modeled after.
Not sure about the middle one.

• Top one, exactly like Neve 1074 EQ (awesome).
  • Middle one, Looks kind of Neve-like. But I'm not familiar with the EQ set points. (What is this modeled after?? :confused:)
  • Bottom one, exactly like neve 1073 EQ (awesome - but 1074 can't be beat).

My vote is for 1 or 3. Leaning STRONGLY toward #1.
Number 2 may have more "knobs" and EQ points. But that don't mean it's better.
Neve EQs are seriously the best I have EVER used. The frequency points are right at musical spots.
The "N" sound is what I adore and what I'm after whenever possible. :D

I want the DI option and the VU meter, and I dont care much about the EQ's....so I guess that leaves me only 1 option....and Id like to have 2 to 4 of those...or maybe I can get 2 of number 1 and 2 of number 3...

Looking at the EQ's, it's obvious what the top and bottom one are modeled after.
Not sure about the middle one.

• Top one, exactly like Neve 1074 EQ (awesome).
  • Middle one, Looks kind of Neve-like. But I'm not familiar with the EQ set points. (What is this modeled after?? :confused:)
  • Bottom one, exactly like neve 1073 EQ (awesome - but 1074 can't be beat).

My vote is for 1 or 3. Leaning STRONGLY toward #1.
Number 2 may have more "knobs" and EQ points. But that don't mean it's better.
Neve EQs are seriously the best I have EVER used. The frequency points are right at musical spots.
The "N" sound is what I adore and what I'm after whenever possible. :D

Middle one kind of looks like a 1081 feature set:

neve-1081_10x8.gif

Any ideas?

I'm with ThaJeremy.
I'd want 4.
If more than 1 model is offered I might choose a few of 2 types.

* Bottom one, exactly like neve 1073 EQ (awesome - but 1074 can't be beat).

the 1073 is a 3-band w/ HP filter....

1073.jpg

and yes, to me #2 looks a lot like the 1081, assuming the EQ points and Q widths are the same

As for my preferences...

I like the first one as its a classic 1073 design. That would make it great for tracking and general tone shaping in the mix. However, as I do more mixing than tracking... I'm feeling that the middle one would be a better option as for mixing, it would give more options. As for the third... well, its okay, but I think I'd probably only want one of them, whereas I'd buy more than one of the top style. The only instrument I'd probably DI is bass, so I might as well get more general preamps and get a seperate DI.

I'd like to see the two channel version reduced to a one channel with DI, using a stepped gain switch. That way it could be used as a DI infront of one of the Type 1 or 2 (to use the EQ), or the preamps could easily be matched for stereo recording where no EQ is necessary.

Either way - I'll get a pair of whatever is on offer - maybe more!

I would want at least 2 of no.2 and 2 of no.3 but however it works out I'll be happy as long as I'm in on these.

i want to change my answer....I actually want them all.....not 1 of all 4....I literally want every one that is assembled...

:p

I also usually only DI bass...which is why I said 2 with DI and 2 without...but I also use a Preamp when I track guitars with my V-amp....I have caught a little hell about that from other members here because they say that the v-amp is already a preamp....but I have been more satisfied with the sound by going guitar > V-amp > octane > delta 1010....I think these pres might get used in place of the octane here....so the extra DI would come in handy...

First of all, thanks Ironklad Audio for putting up the poll. I voted for number 3 for the following reasons.

Chance told us that the rack mount version of pre-amp was an evolution, a work in progress. What I take from his comments are, he started with a concept and it was good. Had an idea to improve on his original concept, and that was better. Put a little more thought into it, and added additional benefits to the concept, and the #3 was born. Chance himself said that #3 offered the most of the 3 rack mount pre-amps.

I think the one with the meter and the DI would be the most versitile

This is the quote from Chance at thread number 2415

However, if one of the other pre-amps comes away in a landslide, I will gladly order 2 of that particular pre-amp. It is all good, we all win!!!!!!

Charlie

the 1073 is a 3-band w/ HP filter....

1073.jpg

and yes, to me #2 looks a lot like the 1081, assuming the EQ points and Q widths are the same

Yeah, if I am looking at #3 correctly, it does have a HP filter and a Hi shelf.

If that's true, you should edit the poll to say Preamp #3 is a (3-band EQ fixed HiShelf, HP filter, w/DI and VU meter).

Attachments

• tnc_preamp_number3.jpg
    tnc_preamp_number3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 639
I would purchase multiples of #1 or #2... I'd only pick up #3 if it was the only option. I voted for me fav. though... 4 band EQ is too useful to pass up.

Back