Youtube, copyright and how close

rob aylestone

I've had a few Youtube copyright claims - music that I wrote myself and recorded and claimed by various other people - presumably victims of an automated system. A while back I wondered how close you could get - so I wrote a song and used a very well known guitar riff and a couple of chords that went with it - and after a few months, nobody claimed it. The ones that did get claimed were not like anything - everything new, but this gets left alone? Really odd.

It's not hard to guess the song the little riff was pinched from.

I have a few videos of jam sessions on Youtube. The only one that was hit for monetization was a composite that I put together of various videos I've done over the years. It was done since our get-together in 2020 was cancelled due to Covid. I thought putting up a virtual event would be cool. There was one song, Pretty Woman, that got the video flagged. It was marked private, and only available to people that I gave the link to anyway. I think it got maybe 50 views, just from friends. I still can't figure out how it was even seen by whoever does the copyright stuff.

I've been waiting for the police to show and and haul me to jail for a year now.....

There have been some ridiculous copyright claims that were upheld by courts, so "big pockets" do what their lawyers tell them will give them an out. Whether it's right, or make sense, or wrong, does not matter. All that matters is that they have a policy, are diligent in its exercise, that gives them an exit door from the pool of folks being sued. Don't assume there's any real "musical" connection.

Back