Your set lists (Cover band, originals, jam, home player, etc.) any instrument

Aerosmith- mama kin, train kept rolling and other various songs from when they were still a rock band

AC/DC- whole lot of Rosie, night prowler, it’s a long way to the top

Allman bros - whipping post. others but not well

Beatles- get back, come together ( rocked up a bit)

Bowie- Ziggy stardust

Bad Co - can’t get enough, feel like making love

Beach boys- help me Rhonda

BTO -taking care of business

Jeff Beck - going down

Cream - white room, sunshine of your love

Joe cocker- get by with a little help

Doobie bro’s - China grove

Eagles - already gone, take it easy

Free- all right now, mr big

Frampton -do you feel

Georgia satellites - keep your hands to yourself

Humble pie- I don’t need no doctor, others

Jimi- red house, voodoo child, little wing

Lou Reed- sweet Jane

Marshall Tucker- can’t you see

John mellencamp -pink houses

Montrose- Rock candy

Mountain - Mississippi Queen

Petty - good to be king, you wreck me, honeybee, break down, others

Steppenwolf - born to be wild

Stones - honkey Tonk women , wing it on others

38 special - hold on loosely

Tommy Tutone - 8675309

The Who -miscellaneous live at Leeds cover jams

Joe Walsh - Rocky mountain way. (I fake the talk box with a wah pedal) Walk away, funk 49. Attempts at life’s been good. (Not there yet)

Neil young -cinnamon girl, down by the river, rocking in the free world

ZZ Top - la grange, waiting for the bus, Jesus just left Chicago, just got paid, others.

Ok. there’s more, but I’m tired of typing.

:D

Disclaimer: not saying we do all these songs well, but we do em :D
OOhh... Mama Kin. Might add that, as I know how to play it! Beauty!

Porterhouse, what exactly are you looking for? Trying to get a list together for your band?

Here are a few that we've played at jams I've done over the years:

Long White Cadillac, Please Please Baby - Dwight Yoakam

Dead Flowers, Honky Tonk Women - Stones

Cripple Creek and The Weight - The Band

I Shot The Sheriff - Marley and Clapton

Cocaine, Call Me The Breeze, After Midnight - JJ Cale

30 Days In The Hole - Humble Pie

One Way Out, Stormy Monday, Elizabeth Reed - Allman Bros.

All Blues - Miles Davis

Nobody Loves Me Like My Baby - Tommy Castro

Sweet Home Chicago

Porterhouse, what exactly are you looking for? Trying to get a list together for your band?

Here are a few that we've played at jams I've done over the years:

Long White Cadillac, Please Please Baby - Dwight Yoakam

Dead Flowers, Honky Tonk Women - Stones

Cripple Creek and The Weight - The Band

I Shot The Sheriff - Marley and Clapton

Cocaine, Call Me The Breeze, After Midnight - JJ Cale

30 Days In The Hole - Humble Pie

One Way Out, Stormy Monday, Elizabeth Reed - Allman Bros.

All Blues - Miles Davis

Nobody Loves Me Like My Baby - Tommy Castro

Sweet Home Chicago
Yeah! That's the deal... sharing what we play in hopes of picking up more gems! :-)
Hmmm... 30 Days in the Hole...

JJ Cale is awesome... a few years ago I worked for a guy who listened to a lot of his music.
Also, Steely Dan has not been mentioned yet?
Steely Dan stuff can be remarkably hard to do, especially if you only have a 3 or 4 piece group without a bunch of good vocalists. 😊

Then again, when I was going to school dances, There was a local 3 piece group that did MacArthur Park. They pulled it off pretty well. Bass, drums and a VERY good guitar player!

Last edited:
I'm in the process of working with a new vocalist to fill a set list for a new project, this is what we were working on last weekend

Like the Way I Do​
Melissa Etheridge​
Maria​
Blondie​
Heatbreaker​
Pat Benetar​
I Touch Myself​
The Divinyls​
Still Got the Blues​
Gary Moore​
The Warrior​
Patty Smythe​
Your Daddy Don’t Know​
Toronto​
D’yer Maker​
Led Zep​
Breakdown​
Tom Petty​

Dirty Work & Pearl of the Quarter were on a past song list. Doable, even with a semi small outfit, and without a steel. You can suck up some Steely Dan, best intentions not withstanding. Often there's just that one element that's out of reach. I mean, why take the risk when you can opt for Keep Your Hands to Yourself(/sarc). Heh. Just kidding, KYHtY can be fun, emphasis on can be.

As far as songlists, much I'm trying to forget. Somebody mentioned Banditos, by The Refreshments. Following the trend in the 90s I was doing the Country Music thing. It's where the money was, and I wasn't into I haz a sad Grunge(find myself in the mood of in The Godfather Vito Corleone slapping Johnny across the face, "be a man!"). So in a country band the drummer and I were longhairs, former R&R guys. At rehearsal before we got started on a few occasions I whipped that one out just for shits and giggles, something to break the ice. Banditos, just the drummer and I. The looks on the faces of the other members of the group was priceless. "United federation of planets"....?..wtf is this song even about, type look. Although I think the young hot female vocalist we had in the group might have gotten a little wet. Yep, fun song, but sadly never made the list.

I'm trying really hard not to be negative! Maybe I should refrain from posting in this thread. Much like a hand carved wooden shovel with a big split along the grain, songlists burn real good.

I'm trying really hard not to be negative! Maybe I should refrain from posting in this thread. Much like a hand carved wooden shovel with a big split along the grain, songlists burn real good.
Isn’t this one of the tamer less controversial threads here? Why the desire to refrain?
Btw, KYHTY is a very fun song to play. People in the audience love it. And that’s what makes it a great song. It’s all about the audience and pleasing them. I don’t think you’d get a lot of gigs doing Frank Zappa songs. Or at least it would take a bit of work and time building up a following for a Zappa tribute band. And then you’d still have a limited audience. :D

KYHTY - I threw this song out there in my 90's gigging band. It got shot down. But later we did end up doing Dan Baird's "I Love You Period". A similarly kinda silly but fun crowd pleaser.

What's there to be negative about? Did I miss something? I think it's fun to see what other people are in to.
Oh - I think I get it now. I misunderstood. No worries Mick. I didn't think you were being negative. It's all good.

But yeah.... I remember at the time my mates weren't interested in a tune like KYHTY because it wasn't musically challenging. Sheesh our drummer wanted to do Rush tunes and take that out somewhere. I had to remind those guys repeatedly that we needed to "entertain" people. People aren't going to dance to friggin YYZ.

Whenever we kicked into KYHTY chicks came flocking onto the dance floor. Same thing with the opening chords of Honkey tonk women.

Doing cover stuff is not about showing off how ‘sophisticated’ your band is, but more so about getting people to dance, which ultimately leads to alcohol sold, which leads to revenue for the establishment, which leads to you getting paid.

Isn’t this one of the tamer less controversial threads here? Why the desire to refrain?
Btw, KYHTY is a very fun song to play. People in the audience love it. And that’s what makes it a great song. It’s all about the audience and pleasing them. I don’t think you’d get a lot of gigs doing Frank Zappa songs. Or at least it would take a bit of work and time building up a following for a Zappa tribute band. And then you’d still have a limited audience. :D

Yeah. It can be a fun song. And yes, it's true, it's about pleasing the audience. Again, I'm not trying to be negative. It's the repetitive uninspiring low hanging fruit that bores me to tears. A lot of these songlists I'm seeing, yep yep yep, done it done it done it. Takes me back, w/ a head in hand not this shit again. Try though I may, I guess I am being negative. I've had opportunities within the last few years. Most often it starts out with, "let's play something we all know". Inevitably somebody pulls Take It Easy out their ass. Oh fuck no, I ain't even. I'm out. Can't do it. Playing in a band alone can be a pain in the ass, and at times the pay ain't exactly fantastic. The ooos and ahs y'all sound great only go so far. There's got to some kind of payoff. I just can't do it.

B sides. There are plenty out there, recognizable, crowd pleasing. "Wow, I've never heard anyone play that" recognizable b sides. I doubt I'll ever run into a situation with a group of guys with the same mindset. It's either too far off the beaten path or the same ol' same ol' uninspiring pap. Sorry. I don't mean to be a dick. Maybe I shoulda been already gone. :facepalm:

My elderly aunt wants to have a get together sometime before Christmas. Wants me[nephew, and brother(s)] to play and sing some tunes. Nephew is a damn good player, brother(s) good singers. Those folks are getting on in age, mom, aunts & uncles, likely won't be here with us too much longer. Discussion, I'm throwing out ideas of things I actually enjoy, and those folks might recognize from their youth. Old timey music, knee slappers & sing alongs, early R&R, Rockabilly. What response do I get, " well we don't have to pander to them. We can play some eagles and stuff, they'll know/enjoy that. I'm thinking, oh gawd, not this shit again. But I keep my mouth shut, dont be a dick. Probably what I should have done here!

Is it just me, or....How many times have you looked down at the songlist to see what's next and thought to yourself not this shit again, just shoot me. However! However, as soon as you gear the song up the entire damn dance floor is packed with people enjoying themselves?! I guess then it is somewhat enjoyable playing the song. I guess it depends what inspires and motivates.

It's a good thread, RFR. Apologies for being a buzz kill.

Oh shit, I was trying...trying to do something, proof read/review my post or something, and somehow I accidentally put Dave on ignore. Heh. You still there, Dave?

Well... spin it positive then. Keep it constructive. Let's see a list of stuff you'd like to do. Crowd pleasing NOT being the point. B-sides, fun challenging, stuff-Mick-would-like-to-do. No holds barred. :thumbs up:

I have to admit.... I have played Fire (jimi) 126,739 times. That's one that I could never play again. But again - people loved that.

I play mostly in bands with original music, but here are some covers I've done in various performances on guitars, keys, or drums:

Hard to Handle - black crowes version
No Quarter - It's probably zeppelin, google it
Houses of the Holy ^^^
That's the Way ^^^
Going to California ^^^
Gallows Pole ^^^
The Crunge ^^^
Night Flight ^^^
Carouselambra ^^^
In the Mood - Robert Plant
Willin' - Little Feat
Down on the Farm - Little Feat