Your set lists (Cover band, originals, jam, home player, etc.) any instrument

I thought of asking the same question. PHouse answered "Excel"
Excel is/was the program/format I used to keep a record of all my recordings.
Due to a major computer crash....I no longer have Excel (operating) on my pc, but, at the very least, I had printed hard copies of the Excel files.
Unfortunately however, aside from losing my recording info, the worst of the PC crash was because I hadn't backed up my Excel files and formulae that I had developed. Engineering stuff.
Can you try Open Office, or Libre Office? I know that macros might not be the same, but at least you could load/create/read Excel files...

I am not in a band now. Do you want me to list all fifty five years?
If you can manage to remember all 55 years go for it. Mental therapy so to speak.
Just joshing with you, Jerry!

You're 70 years old now? I'm a bit older.

Do you remember watching The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show? I do. I was in a phone booth (remember those?) on the phone talking to a girlfriend. I kept telling her that I needed to hang up the phone and go home to watch The Beatles. I raced home. I watched The Beatles. The following day...she broke up with me. A day later....she had a new boyfriend.
For the longest time (months) afterward, I didn't have a new girlfriend, but I still had The Beatles, and then, The Rolling Stones captured my attention.
Irrespective of discussion here at HR concerning the new Beat

I guess if you don't have a need, I get it.... but I cannot imagine living without Excel. The single best software program in the history of mankind.

I've got ring binders with lyrics, but they are a pain. A friend from Chicago had a really nice setup on his 10" tablet. All the songs were listed alphabetically, and with one touch, it popped up the lyrics.

60s guy, definitely grab Libre Office or Open Office.

As for the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, yeah, I remember it. The girl across the street was Beatles crazed. It was like the Swifties of today. I remember sitting in the living room floor watching the Kennedy funeral, and Mitch Miller's bouncing ball.

I can't remember where I put stuff half the time, tho. I had to go through 8 guitar cases to find my string winder yesterday. Somewhere I have a nice watch....

I was about to post (before I fat fingered) that discussion here at HR concerning the last Beatles song has erupted in a variety of opinions. It's all good!
I have no doubt that the Lennon/McCartney signatures were assigned to all rights of their songs, largely leaving George Harrison and Ringo Starr to feel a bit left out. I can't find fault that George or Ringo for having finally recognizing it that Lennon and McCartney considered and relegated it that George and Ringo were hired help on their road to their individual stardom and relevance.

Our friend, TAE, is huge Beatles fan. So am I.

If you can manage to remember all 55 years go for it. Mental therapy so to speak.
Just joshing with you, Jerry!

You're 70 years old now? I'm a bit older.

Do you remember watching The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show? I do. I was in a phone booth (remember those?) on the phone talking to a girlfriend. I kept telling her that I needed to hang up the phone and go home to watch The Beatles. I raced home. I watched The Beatles. The following day...she broke up with me. A day later....she had a new boyfriend.
For the longest time (months) afterward, I didn't have a new girlfriend, but I still had The Beatles, and then, The Rolling Stones captured my attention.
I'm heading for 72 and I did see them on the ES show. He had a bunch of bands. The Animals, Beach Boys, Association, Stones, Doors, Buddy Holly, Jefferson Airplane just for starters. My parents watched all his shows so we both got to see most of the guests. My folks didn't hate rock and roll and liked some of it. They were old school. Dad was born in 1911 and mom in 1917, I was the youngest and the most trouble. By the time I was twelve they couldn't keep up with me anymore. I couldn't spit out set lists but I could list too many songs for here.

Last edited:
I'm heading for 72 and I did see them on the ES show. He had a bunch of bands. The Animals, Beach Boys, Association, Stones, Doors, Buddy Holly, Jefferson Airplane just for starters.
Elvis Presley also, the only tv shots allowed were only of Elvis high above his gyrating legs and hips that might have caused too many women in attendance to go completely orgasmic, not to mention just much harm it could have done all across America.

That was then.

Now is now.

Elvis Presley also, the only tv shots allowed were only of Elvis high above his gyrating legs and hips that might have caused too many women in attendance to go completely orgasmic, not to mention just much harm it could have done all across America.

That was then.

Now is now.
Those were the days...

Now that's interesting! Wish there were a worthwhile equivalent to the Ed Sullivan Show today...

It was like the Swifties of today.
The Swifties and those who follow her every movement annoy me to no end. And that includes my oldest daughter who has taken her two daughters to every Taylor Swift concert here on the East Coast for more than ten years. I understand the attraction, but I don't understand the addiction.

On a personal note, it's well known that Taylor Swift now owns a house in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. Once upon a time, Frank Sinatra considered buying the property. He decided not to buy it.

Prior to that, the house that Taylor Swift resides in the summer months was formally called the Harkness house, inhabited by an heiress of Standard Oil.

My grandmother worked for the heiress for many years in that house. Every house has a history and stories told and passed down.

The level of security at that property is astounding!

The difference, I suppose is being rich or uber rich.

The Swifties and those who follow her every movement annoy me to no end. And that includes my oldest daughter who has taken her two daughters to every Taylor Swift concert here on the East Coast for more than ten years. I understand the attraction, but I don't understand the addiction.

On a personal note, it's well known that Taylor Swift now owns a house in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. Once upon a time, Frank Sinatra considered buying the property. He decided not to buy it.

Prior to that, the house that Taylor Swift resides in the summer months was formally called the Harkness house, inhabited by an heiress of Standard Oil.

My grandmother worked for the heiress for many years in that house. Every house has a history and stories told and passed down.

The level of security at that property is astounding!

The difference, I suppose is being rich or uber rich.
Uber rich methinks...
I wouldn't know a TS song if you slapped me with it (please don't) but it is astounding what she has accomplished.

Obviously this type of thing wasn't around for Beatlemania, but I remember Lizzy getting every magazine that had anything to do with Beatles, posters, a Beatles wig, every 45 that came out, and I think I remember a Beatles lunch box (with thermos). You didn't have concerts that you flew to, Youtube and TikTok, or any of the junk that kids have today.

Taylor is smart. She's taking control of her empire. I remember reading something about the Beatles getting ridiculously low return for songs like I Want to Hold Your Hand, that sold 3.5 million singles in the first year. Granted, they made lots of money, but much of it was from touring, not from the songs. Now that McCartney owns the rights to the Lennon/McCartney catalog, he's reaping in the rewards.

As for having set lists, I haven't played out for years. We had a sheet with about 40 or 50 songs on it that we kept. We would write them on our notebooks in highschool.

In the early years, when we had the brass section, we did quite a few BS&T, Chicago, and Buckinghams tunes. You Made Me So Very Happy, Vehicle, More and More, Does Anybody Know What Time It Is, King Of A Drag, Mercy Mercy, Hey Baby They're Playing Our Song. Beginnings. Grand Funk stuff was popular, so we did Closer to Home, American Band, Foot Stompin Music. The brass section broke up when they all left for college.

At one point, we had a girl singer so we did some stuff like It's Too Late and a few others I can't recall. She was just in the band for about a year.

Of course you always had the slow songs, Ventura Highway, Don't Let the Sun, Poor Side of Town. There are lots more that I can't remember right now.

Jumpin Jack Flash, South California Purples, Taking Care of Business, Cinnamon Girl, Crossroads, Sunshine of Your Love, Music Man, I'm A Man, Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo, Walk Away, Funk 49, Sweet Lorraine, Sunrise, China Grove and LaGrange were some of the ones we were playing around 75. By 1977, the band was pretty much history. People either got married and "real" jobs, or a few joined the armed services.

Now when a few of us get together, someone will pull up an old song and we see how much muscle memory you have! When I've gone to jam sessions, someone will pull out a song and off we go. It doesn't take too much for folks who have played for 50 years to just wing it.

Ok , I guess I’ll start typing.

Aerosmith- mama kin, train kept rolling and other various songs from when they were still a rock band

AC/DC- whole lot of Rosie, night prowler, it’s a long way to the top

Allman bros - whipping post. others but not well

Beatles- get back, come together ( rocked up a bit)

Bowie- Ziggy stardust

Bad Co - can’t get enough, feel like making love

Beach boys- help me Rhonda

BTO -taking care of business

Jeff Beck - going down

Cream - white room, sunshine of your love

Joe cocker- get by with a little help

Doobie bro’s - China grove

Eagles - already gone, take it easy

Free- all right now, mr big

Frampton -do you feel

Georgia satellites - keep your hands to yourself

Humble pie- I don’t need no doctor, others

Jimi- red house, voodoo child, little wing

Lou Reed- sweet Jane

Marshall Tucker- can’t you see

John mellencamp -pink houses

Montrose- Rock candy

Mountain - Mississippi Queen

Petty - good to be king, you wreck me, honeybee, break down, others

Steppenwolf - born to be wild

Stones - honkey Tonk women , wing it on others

38 special - hold on loosely

Tommy Tutone - 8675309

The Who -miscellaneous live at Leeds cover jams

Joe Walsh - Rocky mountain way. (I fake the talk box with a wah pedal) Walk away, funk 49. Attempts at life’s been good. (Not there yet)

Neil young -cinnamon girl, down by the river, rocking in the free world

ZZ Top - la grange, waiting for the bus, Jesus just left Chicago, just got paid, others.

Ok. there’s more, but I’m tired of typing.

:D

Disclaimer: not saying we do all these songs well, but we do em :D

Last edited:
Back