Your opinions on these Power Amps

sindawg

Yes, due to $$$ I'm looking on ebay for a power amp for my mixer. I understand the risks of buying on ebay and all that.

I've posted my bands scenerio in a few other threads (under Drums and under Newbies) so I wont go into much detail but for those of you who havn't read them. The band plays small/medium size bars, current uses the bars Behringer PMH3000 mixer w/ 800W mono-bridge output. I bought a mixer (Behringer UB2222) and am looking for an amp. This is a Celtic band so no electric guitars, no screaming singers, no full drum sets.

I really have no idea about what wattage range I should be looking for. I assume between 700W - 1000W. I also understand abou having more watts then we may need as this will provide us with some headroom down the line if we need that. Or am I wrong in thinking this?

Anyways... heres what I saw online, wanted you guys (the experts :) ) to give me your opinions on which I should stay away from (due to a history of problems, etc) and which I should really consider. I'm looking to spend under $200. (Yes yes, I know. save for a little longer and get somehing GOOD.)

GEM SOUND EXA-1950 1200 WATT
http://cgi.ebay.com/GEM-SOUND-RACK-...392199188QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GEMSOUND PA585 1,000 WATT
http://cgi.ebay.com/GEMSOUND-1000w-...392856394QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've stayed away from teh Behringer Amps as from what I've read, they are not realible.

I'm sure I could go through ebay all night and find stuff but quite frankily, I'm just scanning prices within my range and looking for output wattage. Is there anything you can suggest?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. The assistance from people on this board has been incredible!

sindawg said:
Yes, due to $$$ I'm looking on ebay for a power amp for my mixer. I understand the risks of buying on ebay and all that.

I've posted my bands scenerio in a few other threads (under Drums and under Newbies) so I wont go into much detail but for those of you who havn't read them. The band plays small/medium size bars, current uses the bars Behringer PMH3000 mixer w/ 800W mono-bridge output. I bought a mixer (Behringer UB2222) and am looking for an amp. This is a Celtic band so no electric guitars, no screaming singers, no full drum sets.

I really have no idea about what wattage range I should be looking for. I assume between 700W - 1000W. I also understand abou having more watts then we may need as this will provide us with some headroom down the line if we need that. Or am I wrong in thinking this?

Anyways... heres what I saw online, wanted you guys (the experts :) ) to give me your opinions on which I should stay away from (due to a history of problems, etc) and which I should really consider. I'm looking to spend under $200. (Yes yes, I know. save for a little longer and get somehing GOOD.)

GEM SOUND EXA-1950 1200 WATT
http://cgi.ebay.com/GEM-SOUND-RACK-...392199188QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GEMSOUND PA585 1,000 WATT
http://cgi.ebay.com/GEMSOUND-1000w-...392856394QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've stayed away from teh Behringer Amps as from what I've read, they are not realible.

I'm sure I could go through ebay all night and find stuff but quite frankily, I'm just scanning prices within my range and looking for output wattage. Is there anything you can suggest?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. The assistance from people on this board has been incredible!

Honestly, I have heard better things about the behri amps than about the GEM. Go to musiciansfriend.com and read the reviews. I have a friend with a Nady amp and he loves it. Just remember, when buying a cheap amp, you will always get what you pay for.

Save your pennies and get one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Power/Amps?sku=481578

May find them cheaper on ebay, I don't know haven't looked lately. But I have three of them, been running them in my hometheater (I put in new quiter fans). They will put out more power then the amps you listed, sound better, and with a proven track record of Crown to back you up, you can't go wrong.

EDIT: I just looked at ebay, and zzounds, umm musicians friends price looks very good. Almost to good, dang it hurry up and save those pennies now, before the price goes up.

Good luck with whatever you do.

SRR said:
Save your pennies and get one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Power/Amps?sku=481578

May find them cheaper on ebay, I don't know haven't looked lately. But I have three of them, been running them in my hometheater (I put in new quiter fans). They will put out more power then the amps you listed, sound better, and with a proven track record of Crown to back you up, you can't go wrong.

Yes! What he said. The thing may blow apart like the other cheap ones. But They will stand behind their stuff and fix it up if it does. Get it new though. No Ebay. Then you have the warranty.

Thank you all. Yes, most of my research has been on Musicians Friend. Love that place.

I got worring that the Gem Sounds may be the Kia's of the amp-world as opposed to Behringers being the Hyundai's. :)

I agreed with the "you get what you pay for" but its also the differance between buying something cheap to get you up and running or not having the part at all and sitting on the sidelines.

BUT... I did take a look at that Crown. i don't know how I missed that on Musicians Friend.

THANKS! I think I will get that. In the time I've been writing this post (while at work so it's taken me about 2 hours from straight to finish) I've been checking out a lot of sites and reviews from people who own the Crown XLS 402b. They give it rave reviews.

Ok FINE! You've twisted my arm. I shall spend the extra $100 and by this one. But when my dog has to go without food for a couple weeks.... :) heheheeh I'll blame the band.

Thanks guys!

Think of the Crown

as the Toyota Camry of the bunch. If you take reasonably good care of it, you'll still have it 10 years from now.

I don't hear much but praise about Carvin, even from the sorts that like to bash the company. Actually, now that I think of it, I have a pair of their powered loudspeakers (1588a) that have these amps in 'em (triamped, total 900w a side). They have been good to me, though they don't see a ton of use.

my store had stocked a couple of those Gem sound amps, and well, we had to return all 4 that we ordered, none worked for longer than and hour. maybe we just got a bad bunch, but i dont know.

Ah good to know VSP.

Well, since Musicians Friend is owned by Guitar Center, i've called the Guitar Center here in seattle and they have a Crown XLS 402b Amp set aside for me for $249. I'll pick that up and play with it tonight.

Live sound/smaller setup?...Then consider Peavey's CS800S amps. One CS800S amp can drive four 15" stage monitors, or two 600 watt 18" subs, or two average 2 way top cabs.

I've got three of them and they are first of all, bullet proof. Second of all very flexible in configuration, and third of all, they can be had and fixed cheap if what you buy used needs fixed.

The CS800S use a variety of input/out modules that offer you very inexpensive yet flexible configurations...Their X-1 input module is an active Xover that will allow you to run full range or 2-3 way, all just for 60 bucks.

They advertize them to produce 1200 watts bridged into 4 Ohms, but all of mine bench tested to 1350 before clipping and they are five years old. If there is one thing that Peavey makes that is worth the money, it is their amps....If you liked Crest amps, then consider that they are now made by Peavey.

P.S...Buy too much amp...Buy headroom and cool reliabily by buying too much amp...Your horns will sound briter and your bass tighter if you use too much amp.

Back