Votes: 39 54.9%
  • Amp sims sound really fake, gotta mic a real amp

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I use amp sims just for fun or messing around, but not for anything serious

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I use V-amp/Pocket POD kinda things

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
Guitar Rig aint so bad. I know loads of people who use that. Myself, I like to use NRR-1 or Le456 into KeFIR with a cab impulse. All of them are free, so have a play with them. LePou, who makes the Le456 and KeFIR have some other amp sims too, and another impulse loader called LeCab, which is also really good. and Ignite Amps have another amp sim called the Anvil, but I've not really used it. They have a TS-999, which is a great overdrive pedal sim though. But yes, NRR-1 or Le456 for me with a cab impulse. They sound awesome for the music I do.

Just curious, got any audio clips you could point me to of stuff you've recorded direct using what you mentioned above? I'm really looking for a way to record direct that I can live with. I'm into real rootsy, non-processed type guitar sounds. Think Petty, Stones, Springsteen, etc.

My opinion: they sound fizzy when distorted and brittle when clean, but with work you can get them to sound okay. Even with reverb they sound 2D. I'll use them if I can't use an amp and wouldn't hold it against someone if they use them. In the coming years I think they'll improve and become the norm, which will actually be pretty awesome for apartment dwellers.

Back