Your gain level...

va5ja

Hi!

I finally have my ESI Quatafire 610 now and it works great. Drivers work as it is said in the manual and for now it's great. There is just one problem if I should call this a problem. I have the Shure SM57 mic and when I'm recording the gain must be set quite to the end, almost on full if I want to hear anything. My mouth is few millimetres away from the mic. Is this normal or not? How do you set your gain?

What are you monitoring with?
Do you have level meters in the software you're using to show what kind of level is being passed thru the preamp?
Is there a software control panel that came with the unit on which there is a volume fader?
If you can't find anything wrong with the way the preamp is set up and the setting required to produce the necessary level is not too noisy then keep using it...

I have gain buttons on my external QuataFire. I looked everywhere on my PC to find any software corrections but no good. Well sure I can record like this but I just wondered how do you set your gain level. Maybe to half or to a quarter or I don't know. Is this also a preamp question? Like some have better gain and the other not.

Back