You guys wanna laugh?

Tim Brown

Oh man, if you guys want a laugh - look at this picture.

It's a screen capture of a video I found yesterday of me playing in 1985!
I was 17. Here's my "Van Halen" kit. :p
It was a Chrome metal over Maple Slingerland kit with 6 mounted toms (8",10",12",13",14",15"), 3 floor toms (16",18", & 20") and four 24" kicks.

Tim

Attachments

• Van_Halen_kit.jpg
    Van_Halen_kit.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 198
tilinmyowngrave said:
Not even I'm thast crazy. Damn, that must have taken forever to set up. And why 4 kicks of the same size?

Because I had them. :p

They were just for looks.
I actually had a set of Octobans as well to go over top of the toms. These got replaced with a bunch of 6" Chrome rototoms to match the kit, and I just tuned them extremely low.

Tim

drummerboy_04AP said:
haha that would be crazy!

man oh mighty

I used to use monstrocious kits n' all BUT I got gaffed off carrying

I now play 4-5 piece live :) :)

BUT the studio's a different case entirely :D :D :D I got a lot of drums

slidey said:
man oh mighty

I used to use monstrocious kits n' all BUT I got gaffed off carrying

I now play 4-5 piece live :) :)

BUT the studio's a different case entirely :D :D :D I got a lot of drums

These days they've made the stages so small that you almost can't use a big kit.

I miss the giganto drumkits Noawadays almost everybody plays the exact same setup - locally, virtually 90% of the drummers I know use 10" & 12" rack toms, with 14"&16" floors and one 22" kick. It's kind of depressing - they use the same setups, tune the kits to sound the same, and then they wonder why I bitch about them all being cookie cutter bands. :rolleyes:

Tim

Tim Brown said:
These days they've made the stages so small that you almost can't use a big kit.

I miss the giganto drumkits Noawadays almost everybody plays the exact same setup - locally, virtually 90% of the drummers I know use 10" & 12" rack toms, with 14"&16" floors and one 22" kick. It's kind of depressing - they use the same setups, tune the kits to sound the same, and then they wonder why I bitch about them all being cookie cutter bands. :rolleyes:

Tim

True that 100%. It is VERY depressing. :(

Tim Brown said:

Tim

I blame Guns & Roses! I blame them for everything!! Right after the "Welcome to the jungle" video everyone went to 4 piece kits, hard rock became taboo and "alternative" became mainstream. Oddly enough, alternative adapted the whole 4 piece kit idea and if you had a big kit you were labeled.

4 and 5 piece kits suck and are boring as hell!!!! (IMHO)

I'd rather be playing cards.

PhilGood said:
I blame Guns & Roses! I blame them for everything!! Right after the "Welcome to the jungle" video everyone went to 4 piece kits, hard rock became taboo and "alternative" became mainstream. Oddly enough, alternative adapted the whole 4 piece kit idea and if you had a big kit you were labeled.

Agreed. 7 piece tama superstar with double bass and 4 toms.

I like the pic. I remember seeing Van Halen on tour for "1984", when they were still Van Halen. That kit was huge but it looked cool. I feel the same way about small kits. Small kits are like big women: They can be fun for a little while but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one.

I play an 11-piece Premier kit...and I was also 17 in 1985.....hmmmmm.

PhilGood said:

It's True - GNR were the first band to use a small kit back then - Actually Steven Adler wasa killer drummer - I saw them open for Motley Crue on the Girls, Girls, Girls tour, and GNR were simply incredible.

Tim

wow!

Tim, love the pic!!! Ah, the good ol days, huh?

These days the size of kit I use is directly in proportion to load-in time/size of venue. The smaller the better, mostly. What I love (and miss) most about those larger kits was the workout - it kept me in great shape back then!

Phil- sorry to hear that smaller kits bore you. As for me, I don't care how many drums I have -- give me even just one drum and one cymbal and I'm happy.

Cheers, Rez

PhilGood said:
Yeah, except I did that in drum corps and had my fill of it. :p

Oh man - do all drumcorps have to wear those stupid hat's and capes or what?!?!

I felt like I was in the Three Musketeer rejects. :p

Tim

Tim Brown said:
Oh man - do all drumcorps have to wear those stupid hat's and capes or what?!?!

I felt like I was in the Three Musketeer rejects. :p

Tim

We didn't. We wore black Stetson hats and sunglasses!!!

before you knock on small kits TOO much, here's a pic of lars ulrich's kit from the and justice for all sessions

DrumMikingJustice.jpg

Back