You can thank me later...

Light

Go do a search on You Tube for Jeff Beck and Ronnie Scott. Watch the results.

You can thank me later.

(By the way, I've got a bit of a crush on Tal Wakenfield's hair - the rest of her is great too, but it's the hair that's messing with me - that, and the fact that I have a bizarre fetish for female bass players. Oh, and I really, REALLY like the fact that she seems perfectly capable of sublimating her very serious chops and actually playing BASS.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light, that's quite a coincidence. Yesterday afternoon I was jonesing for some Jeff Beck and I ended up watching those same clips on YouTube.

Tal's a hell of a bass player, that's for sure, and she ain't hard on the eyes, either. :)

Yeah, Tal's pretty amazing. You should also check out the Jeff Beck clips from the Clapton Blues Fest DVD.

That music is almost as entertaining as watching paint dry. It sounded like they just made it up as they went along. Tal's hair was the most interesting part of the videos.

I'm not a painter either and the girl looks like she's 12. Not as to say there is no merrit in the musicianship its just droll, the one video i watched.

It sounded like they just made it up as they went along.

You say that as if it where a bad thing? To some degree, that is EXACTLY what they were doing, and a damn good thing too! It's called improvisation, and is only done that well by people who are better musicians than most, probably any, of us.

And Jeff Beck is the worlds best interpreter of melodies.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Last edited:
(By the way, I've got a bit of a crush on Tal Wakenfield's hair - the rest of her is great too, but it's the hair that's messing with me - that, and the fact that I have a bizarre fetish for female bass players. Oh, and I really, REALLY like the fact that she seems perfectly capable of sublimating her very serious chops and actually playing BASS.)

Dude she's a hound.

You say that as if it where a bad thing? To some degree, that is EXACTLY what they were doing, and a damn good thing too! It's called improvisation, and is only done that well by people who are better musicians than most, probably any, of us.

Agreed. And that's what its all about.

Improvisation is just a smoke screen used by people that can't or are too lazy to perform with precision. How can you tell if they suck or not when there is no frame of reference. He could screw up all night long and then just say "I meant it to sound that way". Improvisation = Hack Job

Why does he have to interpret his own melodies? Didn't he know what he was doing when he played them the first time? Maybe he is just far too talented to be bothered with small details like actually writing songs and remembering how to play them.

Why does he have to interpret his own melodies? Didn't he know what he was doing when he played them the first time? Maybe he is just far too talented to be bothered with small details like actually writing songs and remembering how to play them.

it not what you play it's how you play it. that's what i think was meant when he said interpreter of melodies. it doesn't mean he's improvising the whole thing. it's about the dynamics and bends man!

Improvisation is just a smoke screen used by people that can't or are too lazy to perform with precision. How can you tell if they suck or not when there is no frame of reference. He could screw up all night long and then just say "I meant it to sound that way". Improvisation = Hack Job

I'd like to see you explain that one to Hendrix if he was around.

Precision? It's about dynamics and feeling. If you want precision, buy a Swiss watch.

I'd like to see you explain that one to Hendrix if he was around.

Precision? It's about dynamics and feeling. If you want precision, buy a Swiss watch.

Hendrix was a drug addict and a hack. The only feeling he had was "high". I just don't understand why people think that he was so great. There is such a thing as playing with dynamics, feeling, and precision. It's called "talent". If I want precision I'll watch Rush, Yes, Supertramp or any of the other bands that don't make up shit as they go along.

If I want precision I'll watch Rush, Yes, Supertramp or any of the other bands that don't make up shit as they go along.

Hahaha. Too funny. I agree the 3 bands you listed major in precision. It also accounts for why they are amongst the most dull and lifeless bands ever to make music.

Drugs? Evil shit man. When I see a junkie, I try to beat him to death with my bible.

Rock on man!!

Tal is also Australian - & she's in great company with this combo - I like songs but I can handle improv & jams as long as they don't get too jazzy & so long as the guitar STINGs as it sings - Jeff does that rather well I thought.
Saw him with Jan Hammer in the 70's - almost too jazzy but way, way cool when he rocked & bit some blue metal.

Last edited:

I was going to write a bunch of other shit, but then I decided not to feed the idiot troll.

I will leave this though, since the music is so cool.

If you want to know what a difference interpretation makes - while playing the same exact notes - listen to ANA VIDOVIC play Asturias, then listen to SEGOVIA[/ual] play the same thing. Sure, I'd rather LOOK at her, but I'd much rather LISTEN to him.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back