Yamaha keyboard with MIDI (USB type B connector)

If you haven't yet looked, there may be some settings in the keyboard that affect how MIDI is sent out. Pages 80 and 81 screenshots below.

It appears there are drivers that are compatible up to Win10 both 32 bit and 64 bit if that's what you're using. I just tried installing the driver on a Win7 64 bit PC and the keyboard evidently needs to be connected during the install.
Hmmm, this is worth trying again, I'm not sure the keyboard was connected the last time I tried the driver (yeah, it was the one for Win10 64-bit).

Don’t know what anvil is, but it seems the issue is that the computer isnt connected to any sound producing components, so it’s getting the MIDI but doesn’t know what to do with it. Earlier you mentioned the keyboard to daw then Daw back to keyboard route if you have reaped as you mentioned, it certainly can take in midi and send it out, not sure about anvil, but I suspect it can too. Your problem seems the routing. As I don’t use anvil or reaper I can’t help with that process. If at all possible I’d suggest using only sounds inside the computer, your Yamaha isnt known for unique sounds, so almost everything it can do can be done even better with VSTi type instruments nowadays and simplifies the system so much
Anvil is a MIDI editor. And I am going to check out all my connections and do some screenshots and maybe that will clarify my situation more than I have. I have tried with VSTi plugins and I get a good level, but when I try to record there is no MIDI data showing on the track. And I have the track input set for MIDI. This is all in Reaper. I tried in Anvil as well, and so far no results.

I have also tried sending MIDI from my Alesis SR16 drum machine to my Focusrite interface, and the MIDI light goes on. It is receiving data from the drum machine but nothing shows up in Reaper. I know I am close to the solution, it's a matter of a setting or settings I think. I'm stubborn, so I will get this figured out. You guys are all giving me good ideas to try. So I will report back in a couple hours with some more info.

UPDATE: I have success at last! At least, the first part of my quest. I downloaded the driver for the Yamaha, followed the instructions closely and read the installation guide that came in the driver's zip file. I played my keyboard and the midi notes were recorded, I did this in Anvil. That is huge, because now I can go into Reaper and see if I can get that functioning with MIDI and my keyboard. Thank you to all, because all of your ideas I pretty much used at one point or another or at least considered the options. Now I am going to mess with MIDI in Anvil for a while, and when I am satisfied that all is well, I will try using MIDI in Reaper.

Back