yamaha cpx-5 vs electro acoustic guitar used

ollie99

Hi guys
There this guitar selling on ebay ending in 3 hours and I just need to know if it would be a good buy.

Yamaha CPX-5 VS Electro Acoustic Guitar | eBay

The guy said that he couldn't remember exactly how much it cost new but around £400 altogether.

So would it be a good buy for £200-£205 (providing it doesn't go very high)?

I don't want to be rude but please don't go off giving me other advice on what guitar to buy or what to do, I just want a straight answer.

Any help is much appreciated
thanks

I don't know about UK prices, but that guitar sold for about $300 (200 pounds) when NEW in the US. People always inflate products' worth on ebay.

hmmmmmmm shall I buy it???? I can't decide, I won't need to pay for postage either as it is near me...

hmmmmmmm shall I buy it???? I can't decide, I won't need to pay for postage either as it is near me...

..and you can drop by me on the way back for a setup on it as I'm right near there too...;)

Only joshing, look, I know you've been pushing for answers here and are keen to make a purchase but one of things that has been mentioned a few times by various people that have posted in your threads is that in your budget patience is a real must... If I was you I would wait and see if it sells, if not chuck an email to the seller asking if he still wants to shift it and can you take a look at it and make him an offer.

One thing I am certain of is that there will be other similar deals on ebay in the near future and you need to do some homework on what each is worth and if possible do some leg work too. You may be keen to just buy but hopefully you are going to enjoy playing the guitar for many years so take your time. Having said all that many of us here and elsewhere grew up playing Yamaha as our first "real" instrument.

Good luck in your search.

..and you can drop by me on the way back for a setup on it as I'm right near there too...;)

Only joshing, look, I know you've been pushing for answers here and are keen to make a purchase but one of things that has been mentioned a few times by various people that have posted in your threads is that in your budget patience is a real must... If I was you I would wait and see if it sells, if not chuck an email to the seller asking if he still wants to shift it and can you take a look at it and make him an offer.

One thing I am certain of is that there will be other similar deals on ebay in the near future and you need to do some homework on what each is worth and if possible do some leg work too. You may be keen to just buy but hopefully you are going to enjoy playing the guitar for many years so take your time. Having said all that many of us here and elsewhere grew up playing Yamaha as our first "real" instrument.

Good luck in your search.

you hit the nail on the head there I have to say :) I'm still undecided whether I am going to get an electro acoustic or get an acoustic an put in a pickup on the hole thing (what's the name for that?). And I guess that I could actually wait a while and save up to buy a pick up so that I can buy a better one.

you hit the nail on the head there I have to say :) I'm still undecided whether I am going to get an electro acoustic or get an acoustic an put in a pickup on the hole thing (what's the name for that?). And I guess that I could actually wait a while and save up to buy a pick up so that I can buy a better one.

I'm on the Herts/essex border. If anything comes up local that you might want a second opinion on just shout. Other than that enjoy the ride, buying gear should be fun. In your price range you can get a keeper but it does take a bit of patience and a bit of an eye...;)

yeah that 'bit of an eye' is something as a 16 year old (as of 29th march! :D ) I don't have to be honest

yeah that 'bit of an eye' is something as a 16 year old (as of 29th march! :D ) I don't have to be honest

We've all been there mate, don't worry. Get as many guitars through your hands as possible, you'll soon work out what works for you and remember, the man that never made a mistake never made anything.. Like I say enjoy the ride.

80 pounds for a case (unless it is a particular GREAT one) is too expensive, too. As advised, slow down and shop (and play) around.

That would explain a lot.:D

I hope things work out regardlesss of what you do,but as others have pointed out,time is your greatest ally.You don't have to buy a guitar this second.Keep checking and comparing prices.Myself I would prefer to try an acoustic hands on.

Most of all I think eveyone wants you to avoid buying a "steppingstone" guitar,one that's kind of,but not quite the guitar you wanted.

I'm biased,I think the first guitar anyone should have is a six string acoustic and work your way out from there.

Personally I'd never buy a guitar I've not played. You've got to see if it fits and feels nice. No 2 guitars are or sound the same.

See if you can go and try it out and have a look at it before you decide to buy. Shop around and find the guitar that suits you, feels nice and has the sound you want.

:thumbs up:

well I'll leave the yamaha guitar alone but it's slightly confusing because about 50% of people are telling me to try before I buy and 50% to buy used and some people even both and I agree with everyone but I can't see how it can work. If I am to buy used but try before I buy then if I go try a guitar I find on ebay and see if I like it then try others I find as well to compare it to then that is an awful lot of travelling especially since I am 16 and cannot drive. But obviously if I go to a guitar shop then most the guitars will be new so will be more expensive - I don't think there are as many places which sell lots of used items like guitars in England as in America.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

I'm sure there are plenty of places in England that sell used instruments - you just have to find them. Find a friend with a car and offer him lunch to drive you places.
In the meantime, get out and mow lawns, do chores, whatever's needed to scrape together more money to buy a better instrument!
If you insist on buying from ebay, make sure the seller will accept returns if you don't like it - then you'll only be out the shipping charges (both ways). You've already shown that you were ready to jump on an overpriced Yammie and case, so research first. Ebay will let you search for past sales of an item, this will give you a better idea of real selling prices. You can also google reviews of any particular make/model.

If you contact a seller on ebay they will nearly always let you view before bidding. I've already told you if you want a second opinion I'd help you out as I'm right near you. Stop imagining problems that don't exist and go on your search. Email and telephones have made this shit a lot easier..:thumbs up:

I'm sure there are plenty of places in England that sell used instruments - you just have to find them. Find a friend with a car and offer him lunch to drive you places.
In the meantime, get out and mow lawns, do chores, whatever's needed to scrape together more money to buy a better instrument!
If you insist on buying from ebay, make sure the seller will accept returns if you don't like it - then you'll only be out the shipping charges (both ways). You've already shown that you were ready to jump on an overpriced Yammie and case, so research first. Ebay will let you search for past sales of an item, this will give you a better idea of real selling prices. You can also google reviews of any particular make/model.

well if I really wanted to I could beg my dad.
I think I will save up a bit more actually given that seems to be the overall opinion :) And hey guess what I just realised I've got another £20 in my bank already for this month's pocket mone! :D
I had no idea you could search for past listings on ebay?

If you contact a seller on ebay they will nearly always let you view before bidding. I've already told you if you want a second opinion I'd help you out as I'm right near you. Stop imagining problems that don't exist and go on your search. Email and telephones have made this shit a lot easier..:thumbs up:

I'm not really disputing that they don't, it is just difficult for me to get to them just to try something out.
And I almost always email the seller to ask about the item if I have any unanswered questions from the description anyway :)

This isn't meant to sound like a "kids of today" post but seriously. At your age I would get to the station on my bike, take a train and cycle the rest when I got there. To do gigs I would take my guitar and amp on the tube and on occasion a double bass. When we went to see a gig and it was a late one we'd ride the milk train home at 4am from Liverpool Street. Seriously if you want it bad enough you make it happen...

This isn't meant to sound like a "kids of today" post but seriously. At your age I would get to the station on my bike, take a train and cycle the rest when I got there. To do gigs I would take my guitar and amp on the tube and on occasion a double bass. When we went to see a gig and it was a late one we'd ride the milk train home at 4am from Liverpool Street. Seriously if you want it bad enough you make it happen...

The effort and money to do that would be more than what I would need to persuade my dad to take me places. But to go to 3 or 4 different places, most likely not that close to each other, on the train and bike is quite impractical, especially since the trains cost a lot more now I'm 16, because according to the train companies in england, being 16 is an adult.

Back