XP 64-bit Worth It?

jlizerbram

I'm looking at upgrading to new hardware, and was thinking going the XP 64 route. Is it worth it? Will I still be able to run 32-bit apps on it, or do they all have to be 64-bit? Thanks.

NO NO NO don't do it. I tried and I was screwed, I ended up just buying the 32 bit. Lots of things just don't work the same.

I'm looking at upgrading to new hardware, and was thinking going the XP 64 route. Is it worth it? Will I still be able to run 32-bit apps on it, or do they all have to be 64-bit? Thanks.

yeah, dont bother with 64 bit os's untill we all absolutely have to. drivers arent the same, and many vsts are quirky or just dont work at all in a 64 bit os.

Multiple cores are more important. I wouldn't bother with 64 bit Windows. I've heard far too many problems with it.

XP x64 works fine for me. I bought it to go with Sonar 5 and have been happy for a while now. However, it's no longer officially supported in Sonar 7. I think XP x64 is going to be one of those Microsoft "bastard child" operating systems - abandoned and unsupported long before it's come of age. It's been good to me, and very stable, but 64-bit computing is all about Vista now.

Also, unless you need more than 4 GB of RAM, there is almost no point in running a 64-bit OS.

If you need something rock-solid right now, I'd go for XP (32-bit). If you don't mind living on the edge, you can give Vista a shot.

Back