X Factor - UK Sound quality 'cheat' in the auditions?

rob aylestone

For any UK members - is anyone watching X-Factor? The sound from the judges sounds like every other programme - you can hear the room sound and the quality is normal. However, when the good auditionees sing, the room sound vanishes and the sound is close miked in timbre - sounds like they are singing in the studio, and some sing really loudly, meaning a speaker based backing track would leak badly into any form of boom mic out of shot - which would appear to be the only possible audio source as they are not miked in any way I can see - and certainly not any close technique. This leaves me thinking they got them to re-record it, as the hopeless ones sound 'roomy', but the good ones sound much, much better? I can't, though, spot any lip-sync issues which I'd expect with untrained people.

What's the secret?

your not the only one,i watched something the other week,not sure what it was,same kinda thing as X-factor,but was like choirs (i never watch these shows,they make me hide behind the couch cringing)... anyhoo,i heard the same as you and alarm bells went off .. so i had to watch more,imo its pre-recorded defo in another smaller room (maybe 18foot x 12 ish,maybe smaller ... defo oblong),as you say the room they in is way smaller ... then the playback is mimed "live" .... gone is autotune (cept maybe on contestants they wanna influence public opinion on :D :P )

only watched enough to confirm the other room and mime thing,could be other things going on,like overdubs,but didn't listen for those .. might be a new fun game "spot the fakery" :D

did also notice that they don't tune the instruments to the vocalists on some tracks,that defo makes some sound better than others ... deliberate or noob recording is another debate ;)

Back