Opinion on quality - possible issue?

famous beagle

Hey y'all,

So I moved recently and have set up the studio in and started recording again, and my wife and I are noticing that the vocal tracks aren't sounding as clear/pleasant. Here are the factors that have changed:

I replaced my old Tascam US-1800 interface with a Presonus 1824c.
We're recording in a carpeted basement (7 foot ceilings) instead of a hard floor room with 10 foot ceilings. However, we're still using the same hanging portable vocal booth (made from three 2ft x 2ft panels of 2-inch thick Owens 703). The one difference is that, in my old place (with 10-foot ceilings), I also had a panel hanging on top of the booth as well. I haven't done that yet in this new place.

Just about everything else is the same that I can think of. We're still running this signal chain:

Mic -> Warm Audio WA273EQ mic preamp -> interface

I would think that, with using the portable vocal booth, any changes to the sound from the room would be fairly negligible - I suppose the hard floor could make a little difference - but I would think that would just be limited to more of a frequency difference. But the issue we're hearing seems to be one of clarity more. Like ... just a poorer quality overall. I don't know ... it's hard to say.

Anyway, I was just hoping to get some objective ears on this to see if we're crazy.

Here are two songs - "Highwayman" and "Ivory Black" - one recorded at the old place and one at the new. I won't tell you which is which, because I don't want to bias you one way or another. But if you could please tell me which vocal recording sounds better to you (just the sound, not the performance), and any specific thoughts if you have them, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Highwayman mix9.mp3
    7.8 MB
  • Ivory Black mix5.mp3
    5.4 MB
HIGHWAYMAN is more 'forward' perhaps a touch more clarity and brightness - ivory is a little less crisp, but it fits the song. To my ears, just different EQ - within a knob twiddle. Either I'd listen to without wanting to fiddle with it. I'd be happy to call it a draw - just a bit different? Neither has a tag saying worse. Both very good to be fair.

HIGHWAYMAN is more 'forward' perhaps a touch more clarity and brightness - ivory is a little less crisp, but it fits the song. To my ears, just different EQ - within a knob twiddle. Either I'd listen to without wanting to fiddle with it. I'd be happy to call it a draw - just a bit different? Neither has a tag saying worse. Both very good to be fair.
Thanks very much for the feedback!

Highwayman has a more integrated mix. Ivory instruments are spread further apart and further back in the mix.

Vocal quality is pretty much the same.

Both sound really nice.

Back