Word Clock Sync Question

Jeyan

Hello guys, I have a motu 2408MKIII and a 02R digital mixer in my studio, so far I connected them with Adat light pipes and I had a few problems with the clock sync. So recently I bought a word clock cable and connected it seperately between the mixer and the daw.
My question is which one is the master and which one is the slave. Rigth now I've set the MOTU as master (internal clock) and the digital mixer as slave. It works fine, but usually the device where the analog signals are converted to digital should be the master clock and all the rest receive sync from it right? Any experienced person please clarify this. Thanks in advance.

The external Word Clock should now be the clock master for ALL interconnected digital devices.... everything having an wod clock in (that's in the digital signal path of whatever you're doing at the time) should feed off it....

Blue bear, I hope you misunderstood the question, I dont have a dedicated word sync device, I just bought a wordclock cable and interconnected the mixer and the DAW. Now tell me which one should be master.

Oh - sorry... yes -- didn't see the "cable" part....

In that case, since I don't have that particular configuration I can't be very helpful ('cos I'm not sure of the answer), other than to say maybe you SHOULD consider an external word clock -- then there would be no doubt at all!

Thanks Bear, I have to do it someday soon, my digital daisy chain is increasing in size day by day. How many device do you think I can connect without signl loss in series? Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Jeyan said:
Thanks Bear, I have to do it someday soon, my digital daisy chain is increasing in size day by day. How many device do you think I can connect without signl loss in series? Any idea? Thanks in advance.
That will vary completely from chain to chain... In my case, because I'm using a digital bay, my RME interface crackles if I clock the chain with the BRC, as soon as I engage the Lucid, it's clean!

oh, I get it now, I used to get crackles when I was just using aes/ebu connections to sync teh devices, now after I use the wordclock cables I so far get clean signal. But I really want to get a master sync and digital bay soon. Could you recommend some.

For bays - there's the Z-Sys OptiPatch or a new one by Frontier, I think...

For clocks - tough to beat a Lucid... I use a GENx6....

chris-from-ky said:
What would I use to sync a yamaha 02R and an Alesis HD24 allowing me to have full automation in the 02R?

For that all you need is a Midi cable. Worldclock is nice but it's for synchronizing the samples not timecode or transport controls.

automation is done through midi signals, so if you connect the midi ins and outs, you will get teh faders to move in the mixer when the daw is playing different channels. (I really like the way the faders dance, Nice isn't it?)

So where does the MTC come from- the HD24? I also have an Sr-16 that can send "midi time data" according to the manual. In the 02R manual it says it can automate within itself but not in sync with other devices. So, to get automation, I just run a midi cable from the HD24 midi out to the 02R midi in????

Thanks,
Chris

from what i've heard you set the master clock based on which clock is more stable/jitter free etc...

justa fyi word clocks don't always have to be the master they can distribute the master clock to from another device...for ex. I love my lucid 6-genx96 but i think its a long shot in saying its as good as a lavry A/D converter or a benchmark(maybe close)...the lucid does have an input word clock where it slaves to another device and distributes that devices clock

Teacher said:
I love my lucid 6-genx96 but i think its a long shot in saying its as good as a lavry A/D converter or a benchmark

I can assure you that the gen, being a dedicated clock, outputs more accurate clock signal than a lavry or benchmark converter. Not my opinion, simply measurement. Comes down mainly to the simple design fact that accurate clock needs its own power supply circuit, which "all-in-one" systems do not offer.

sjoko2 said:
I can assure you that the gen, being a dedicated clock, outputs more accurate clock signal than a lavry or benchmark converter. Not my opinion, simply measurement. Comes down mainly to the simple design fact that accurate clock needs its own power supply circuit, which "all-in-one" systems do not offer.

really?!!?...i'm very glad to hear that...:D ..so that word clock sync in is for another word clock?

Teacher said:
really?!!?...i'm very glad to hear that...:D ..so that word clock sync in is for another word clock?

???;)

Sorry, I missread that question (having one of my stupid days it appears).
The sync in is for feeding it another clock, in which case the GEN will balance that clock and transmit it down the line. Not the best option, you'd be better, and cheaper of using a distribution clock for that.

Also, in response to a previous question, it is important to realise that, when you daisy-chain a clock signal, the signal deteriorates significantly with each link added. That is why an independent clock with its outputs feeding each peace of gear individually, is more or less essential to maintain quality throughout a system.

Also in response to a previous question; If you don't have an external clock it is difficult to say what piece of gear should "lead". Mainly a question of trial and error, unless you have a particularly good item in the chain, like for instance a good A/D converter or something like a Genex recorder. But, no matter what, you will always be better of with a dedicated clock, regardless of the kind of system / chain you use.

Last edited:
sjoko2 said:
???;)

Sorry, I missread that question (having one of my stupid days it appears).
The sync in is for feeding it another clock, in which case the GEN will balance that clock and transmit it down the line. Not the best option, you'd be better, and cheaper of using a distribution clock for that.

Also, in response to a previous question, it is important to realise that, when you daisy-chain a clock signal, the signal deteriorates significantly with each link added. That is why an independent clock with its outputs feeding each peace of gear individually, is more or less essential to maintain quality throughout a system.

Also in response to a previous question; If you don't have an external clock it is difficult to say what piece of gear should "lead". Mainly a question of trial and error, unless you have a particularly good item in the chain, like for instance a good A/D converter or something like a Genex recorder. But, no matter what, you will always be better of with a dedicated clock, regardless of the kind of system / chain you use.

thank you for the lesson...i love my lucid that much more now...need me a dac1 and i'm good to go!!

Back