Wish My Friend Wasn't Such A Slacker

Hell Atlantic

i write music, i don't express myself lyrically nor can i sing. i got a whopper of a song here and i excitedly sent it to my friend to write words and sing. this was 3 days ago. not that i expect him to have something created in a matter of 3 days or so but he hasn't even responded that he's listened to the mp3. he doesn't have a good recording setup (his laptop's sound card is broken even) and he may have a lot of his plate. we're 33 yrs old and we used to think we'd be rockstars when we were 15. i have spurts of creativity so when i get a song idea i soldier on till the music is complete and it doesn't seem he has the same "let's go get this done" mentality. i'm thinking i might wanna share this song with someone who has a little more of a serious recording setup and is a singer with no music to sing on. i've looked at google trying to find places where lyric writers and singers congregate but can't seem to find anything -where does one go when they have music and need someone to sing over it?

i think i heard of that site too. i know its rather presumptuous of me to think i have a song that people would wanna copy off of or steal, but this one is big time. ideally i'd like to comfort of just sharing with my friend knowing he won't screw me, but the sophistication of someone who's serious about this and when they hear a great song they just gotta sing on it. i guess i'm just ranting. too lazy to write the lyrics (lyrically i have nothing to say, i'm a music man) but i suppose i may be a little more serious about making songs than he is. his sound on his laptop has been busted for the longest time now and he records on Audacity using the mic on his headset used for chatting on video cam. now that i think about it i wouldn't want his inferior setup ruining a really good song. i guess i answered my own question. write my own lyrics and get someone to sing them.

for an earlier song i wrote (with lyrics) i thought it'd be easy to just look up singer on youtube and get them sing on it by recording their vocals and sending me the wave file to use as a vocal track, but that went nowhere.

Don't do it... the singer will become famous singing your song and you'll end up rich on royalties but bitter that people don't recognise you, and that it's never you that gets interviewed...

Hasn't someone invented EZSinger yet? :laughings:

ok all is good. he just emailed me last nite with his lyrics and he's fucking pumped about the song. now its time to rock, kids.

You see, patience is a virtue. What you call slacking, he obviously views as 'moving at his own pace'.
Patience, my good man, patience.

i don't even think Autotune can help me. hahaha

in all seriousness when it comes to music i'm the type that holds true to a simple mantra: know what you do well, then do it. know what you don't do well, and have someone else do that thing.

Wish My Friend Wasn't Such A Slacker

i got a whopper of a song here and i excitedly sent it to my friend to write words and sing. this was 3 days ago. not that i expect him to have something created in a matter of 3 days or so but he hasn't even responded that he's listened to the mp3.

it doesn't seem he has the same "let's go get this done" mentality.
When I first saw this post, I was reminded of something that happened to me 20 years ago.
I had written a few lyrics down the years and I'd written lots of music, complete songs, but without melodies or lyrics. I'd always intended to record them 'one day'. Well at the start of 1991, I would be jamming with a friend I'd been playing music with for 10 years. And we always taped our jams. I got lots of great songs down the years that way. But around this time, he would take my chord progressions {he's a drummer/percussionist} and craft lyrics and melodies to them. I thought the ones he initially came up with were really neat. Then he started coming up with these grand lyrics and melodies, to which I would craft the music. I was impressed with his ability to put together concise, attractive words and melodies in a very accessible way.
Anyway, as I was learning the guitar {I was really a bass player}, when I'd learn a new chord or two, I'd shove them into a 'song'. I came up with this progression that I thought was kind of interesting. It was sort of unusual so I recorded it and gave my friend the tape and asked him to come up with something. When he listened to it, he said something like "I can see where you're going with this" and he said he'd have a go at putting some words and a melody to it. That was in mid 1991. Three years on, he'd not said a thing about it or even mentioned it. By the autumn of '94 I thought, "I've had enough of this !" so I decided I'd write some words. By then I'd had some experiennce of writing complete songs. I was on my way up to this theme park for a day's mad riding when I saw this double rainbow in the sky which I thought was quite a sight. And a short while later, almost in one go, these words tumbled out of my head and a melody to boot. A year after this, my friend and I recorded the song, well, we put down drums and guitar {the guitars were so thin and weedy as I'd gone DI with an electro~acoustic; this was how I learned to fix errors of weediness with tight layering} and he never said 'oh, that's that song you gave me to work on !'. I don't think he even recognized it.
That was not the last time I gave someone a tape of something for them to work out a little something. But no one ever came back and said I've got this bit.......so I stopped doing that. In the end it did me a favour because I learned to draw confidence in my ability to come up with the goods even if no one liked it ! With that song, I combined it with another piece that I had and with some Aerosmith "Uncle Salty" round type backing vocals it took on it's own life. Badly recorded in the end but I dug it.
The moral of the story is a three day wait is chicken feed !

I think that sometimes these things reveal a deeper issue. You have a guitar player (or x instrument), maybe work together in a band or something, do a few performances things go really well, people are loving it and asking for more. All of a sudden he stops returning phone calls, then calls or emails back a whole week later. Umm, that's an entire week to be working on more material, gigging, recording, or doing whatever wasted.
It starts to become obvious that certain people don't have the necessary commitment to do anything musically. That's actually most musicians, I've jammed with so many musicians who've been playing for years, yet hardly know any songs, and haven't done anything at all. People like that are on a ROAD TO NOWHERE.
It sounds harsh but you really have to view everyone you work with as disposable. Because someone who seems enthusiastic one week can easily turn into the guy who starts dragging everyone down. A lack of enthusiasm in any band member is going to bring down the whole ship. I'm not saying this applies to the guy who started this thread. Just saying that in my experience there are 2 kinds of musicians. 1. Committed and 2. Non-committed, and you have to realize that at any time a #1 could turn into a # 2 and have to be replaced asap.

Back