Will Naiants be a pain in the ass?

wallystripes

Ive been getting some equipment and experimenting for a while, and now I am looking for a pair of SDC to record drums and acoustic guitar as well. Im on a budget, while rode nt5, shure sm81 and oktava mk012 look really nice they are out of my range at the moment.

I was looking at NAIANTs X-O and lots of people seem to love them, they are great priced, etc.

Since they are omnis they are supposed to accentuate any room sound and I am planning to build some gobos in order to tame my not so great sounding room.

Will these mics be a pain in the ass if my room is not FULLY treated? Im am planning to build 2 double gobos (2 oc 703 attached together) and 2 corner bass traps

They are great microphones! And if you think they are going to be a bit wild ... They do sell a few non-omni microphones.

I actually like the fact that they are omnis, but Im afraid they could accentuate my room issues. I mean, I AM going to treat my room, but some guy said they will still sound bad if my room is not completely covered with fiberglass

they will still sound bad if my room is not completely covered with fiberglass

A gross oversimplification. As overheads they will be fairly far from the sources and so bleed will be a bigger problem than when close micing. Your room will definitely matter but it's not just a matter of completely covering it with fiberglass. You should identify specific problems and treat the most serious ones first. That probably means bass traps of some sort.

You should identify specific problems and treat the most serious ones first. That probably means bass traps of some sort.

And how do I go about that? I am a total noob as far as acoustic treatment goes, Ive been reading Ethan's stuff and I understand main problems are bass in corners of rooms, comb filtering caused by reflections on paralell surfaces and flutter echo. I just dont know how to identify these in my room.

Also, at this moment im not able to place permanent treatment, thats why I was going for gobos. The fact that they are moveable makes them ideal for me

As a side question....how high are your ceilings and how high will you have the OHs? Just wondering :) That's my biggest peeve when using omni's as OHs...that awkward "ceiling reflection" I get sometimes.

the bleed shouldnt be such a problem. Because it's omni you can close mic and eliminate a lot of room noise. The good thing is because its omni you shouldnt get the proximity effect that other polar patterns will. At those prices personally i think you will always find a use for it once you have played with the mic and found its strengths and weaknesses. I have the x-s and i love it just my two pence.

the bleed shouldnt be such a problem. Because it's omni you can close mic and eliminate a lot of room noise. The good thing is because its omni you shouldnt get the proximity effect that other polar patterns will. At those prices personally i think you will always find a use for it once you have played with the mic and found its strengths and weaknesses. I have the x-s and i love it just my two pence.
Just to inject another dose of relative' here, true no proximity effect but at 'kit/overhead distances that won't play into it.
Either cardioid or omni you likely will want some room control (if not on one project where splashy' open roomy vibe is on, the next where tighter and drier is called for.
It really is a matter of degree. I get by very well with QTC-1's in a medium-small room with typical 9'ish foot ceilings here. Along with some general patches of treatment I've made a set of three 4x7' gobos, one stands out in the room the other two are in a open V' on either side of the kit (one lays down, other side stands up typically), and a pair of 2x4'x2" slabs in a cloud' over the kit.
You'd likely try to work a little closer to compensate with omnis. I stay low on either side typically but that is also largely for isolation as well as dryness'. But I'd think low ceiling--clouds either way.

@moresound

LOL

@guitaristic

well my ceilings are about 8' tall, room is 15'x10'

@kip4

actually I have seen your review, it was very helpful! Thats why I decided to go for them. I think you're right, at that price I can find a use for them.

On drums they would be used as overheads. I like dynamic sounding kits, not too tight, so most of my sound would come from OHs, but I will close mic snare and kick

And hey chicken, that recording sounds nice! Naiants deffinitely seem to be very good mics . My only concern is their pattern given my room conditions

As a side question....how high are your ceilings and how high will you have the OHs? Just wondering :) That's my biggest peeve when using omni's as OHs...that awkward "ceiling reflection" I get sometimes.

A cloud would help that problem out some.

and lol @ moresound :D

And hey chicken, that recording sounds nice! Naiants deffinitely seem to be very good mics . My only concern is their pattern given my room conditions
I recorded this in a fairly large room with a high ceiling that slopes down. Next to a wall full of bookshelves. In other words, floor and ceiling are not parallel, the wall full of books are my diffusers. But generally from my experience with different rooms and mics(some might disagree) closed miced sources are not effected by the room they are in. But close is a function of the room and amplitude of the source. For example recording vocals in my bigger room, singer positioned 2 feet from the mic wont introduce room issues. But in one of my small boxy rooms 2 feet is a huge issue. (My rooms are not treated)

Back