Naiant X-S

kip4

Nainant X-S.jpg

Omg My new mic arrived today. First of all i'd like to thank all those who helped me choose this mic. You know who you are.
It's too late in the day to try it, I think I'd wake the wife from her slumber but guess what i'm gonna be doing in the morning.
I'll let you guys Know how i got on and post a clip as soon as i have tried it on my acoustics.
Superbly engineered product. Well packaged and a great price too .
Thanks Jon.

Told ya! ;)

Man that's got to be the worst - just looking at your new microphone and not being able to use it yet. :guitar:

Ordered on 26/1 arrived on 7th/2 brilliant shipping. Right on time mate and Yes i did have to claim it. They offered me the chance to turn down paying the value added tax haha Like that was ever going to happen. It's still a steal.
It's so little its unbeleivable. How does he manage to make a condensor mic fit into a body sized about the same as an average 1/8th plug.
well packaged too. Smoke a little kipper I wont have much time for breakfast. I expect to be playing with this baby tommorow.

I'm VERY curious to hear what you think about these. I haven't bought a mic in a real long time and I have severe GAS.

First impressions
I hooked it up to my trusty preamp and opened my daw (bearing in mind it's now 2 am and the wifes asleep in the next room) while i finished restringing a guitar. Just to test the noise floor. Nada not even registering. I moved half way across the room and clicked my fingers with the mic pointing in the opposite direction and the gain hardly set at 9 o clock and it's registering more than half way up the db scale. I am blown away. think i might go to bed soon and inspect the back of my eye lids so i can get up even sooner. Night jon boy.

There's a whole lot of Naiant love out there! The X-S is a real surprise package.

I'm putting aside some coin for more Naiant's. I like Jon's U-series modular concept, and my next buy will likely be a pair of U-O's (the low noise 10mm omni).

Enjoy the X-S (and start saving again!)

Paul

i'm putting together a full backing track with all the acoustic guitars tracked with the xs
so you get a better idea. I have to say it sounds great on spanish guitars.
stay posted

Im looking at Naints right now, eberybody seems to love them and I could use a pair of those. Ill take a listen to your clip later. Let us know your impressions over time.

Cheers

View attachment 69683

Ok guys I just threw the mic up in front of the guitar any old how about 10" from the soundboard. No effect just the dry recording as is.
This is what I got. See what you think.
I love it.
Very nice. It's as if my ear is 10" from your guitar's soundboard, heh. That's what the Naiants do... give you back exactly what you played. Tune that sucker up next time, haha.

you're welcome sir.
You wont have any trouble getting a great guitar acoustic sound with this microphone in my opinion.
I've yet to try it on other sources but im confident it's a great all round mic.
I tried it with an on board bracket on a 12 string and i liked it. Not as much as when the mic is on a stand.
However for live work on acoustic this would absolutely slam any onboard pick up.
I even tried singing just to see while doing the onboard bracket test and to be honest it only just picked up a whisper of the voice.
I dont know why i expected it to pick up the voice too, I guess i figured its an omni mic it will pick up anything in the room.
This has the advantage though that in a room where a full band play together i could get a good sound from an acoustic without too much bleed from the other instruments with NO proximity effect also. Great news.
This is a fantastic microphone for the purpose i bought it for which was a no nonsense no fuss mic for recording acoustics.
I would like to take this opertunity to thank mrH and moresound for the reccomendation and all the other contributors to my previous thread.
Plus it's a great price for a descreet little beast.
I dont think you will regret getting this mic.
I will continue to experiment with using it in multi mic situations and on other sources and push it's envelope to find its strength and weaknesses.

Oh i did try it on a cab but imo i cant get a better sound from a mix of ribbon mic and a dynamic.
I was accurate but not as nice as a combo mic option.

For anyone in the UK interested in buying these mics, I ordered some Naiants in bulk a few years ago with the intention of being their main UK retailer, but it never quite worked out as I'd hoped. I found my stock again recently and am now selling the X-S on ebay at £19.95 + £4 p&p (£1 each additional). I have included a 5M 3.5mm minijack to male XLR cable for connection to standard professional microphone amplifiers and a lapel/tie clip.

I will soon sell the X-Ts as well, which were discontinued in 2009, which are cracking wee mics with internal switches. These will be £25.95 + £4 p&p (£1 each additional). I have both the flat response and tailored response versions available.

Last edited:
Back