Will Karaoke Disc Recording Ruin Anything?

lga5824

It's Just My Opinion
Hi - I have a small home studio set up and have been recording keys and vocals and some guitar. I have a karaoke machine that we use for parties, etc and about 1000 karaoke discs as well. If I were to take a karaoke song and run it through my firebox and into garageband as a track, and then record vocals on another track, would that a) work and b) harm anything? I don't even know if my mac and garageband would be able to do that. It'd be just for fun and just for demo type recordings.

Advice?

If I were to take a karaoke song.............and then record vocals on another track, would that a) work and b) harm anything?

I don't know.

What I do know is that you could then call yourself a "Producer". :D

Hi - I have a small home studio set up and have been recording keys and vocals and some guitar. I have a karaoke machine that we use for parties, etc and about 1000 karaoke discs as well. If I were to take a karaoke song and run it through my firebox and into garageband as a track, and then record vocals on another track, would that a) work and b) harm anything? I don't even know if my mac and garageband would be able to do that. It'd be just for fun and just for demo type recordings.

Advice?

Will work no problem. Treat the karaoke machine as you would any other line input.

Okay, so now what?

Thanks. Okay so now I don't know how to get it to work. The karaoke machine only has RCA jacks. When I use it for parties, I run it through my fender PA with the RCA jacks, then out to speakers. There's no 1/4" jack output on the karaoke machine. So, I am trying to run it through my PA head with the RCA jacks, then run a line out of my PA head to the Presonus firebox (1/4"). FYI I use garageband and I put this track as a "real" instrument. But I'm not getting anything. I'm only getting sound from my PA speakers, nothing into the headphones and nothing into the system. I'm new still at this, so bare with me please.

How do I get it to work?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

TReat it like any other thing you would put through your PA head, e.g. a keyboard. It sounds like you might need to get a set of RCA to jack leads.
You can also go straight into the interface.

FYI to those who responded. I did get it working. It was as simple as unplugging the speakers from the PA. The sound was there, it was just going to the speakers instead of the interface. I ran the RCA jacks from the karaoke machine to the PA, then the main out to input 1 on the firebox. It was simple, and of course the easiest thing to overlook!

Thanks to those who responded. :)

Back