Why aren't my vocals cutting through the mix?

kaptainkeys

Hey all, I'm new here, so apologies if this is not the right forum. As an engineer I often get tracks to mix that I did not record and sometimes have issues getting the vocals to cut through the other instruments while also having them sit nicely in the mix. It feels like I've tried everything, different eq curves, different compressor settings, limiting, saturation, parallel processing, and more and I still am not happy with the results I'm getting, does anyone have any tips?

rock n roll? Yell . Use a compressor..then a limiter bricked. Yeah, smartly compress 2 twice.. Make it huge. Stretched. An omni microphone could benefit the track as head movements alter level..less with an omni pattern..

There is a big difference shooting for -6 or some bullshit, or Fuckn zero. Go for zero.

The rule is,

"Simply" find the quietest place in the song and note how far down the signal is (in dB). Plug that number into the threshold of your limiter - and you're done.

if you see any dips in the waveform after that, zoom in, find the low spot and repeat.

When the waveform looks like one solid block of color, you have achieved a perfect modern mastering job."

"Low levels are for wimps."

"Dynamic range is way overrated."

"0 dBFS is not a limit, it's a goal."
-Harvey

Hey all, I'm new here, so apologies if this is not the right forum. As an engineer I often get tracks to mix that I did not record and sometimes have issues getting the vocals to cut through the other instruments while also having them sit nicely in the mix. It feels like I've tried everything, different eq curves, different compressor settings, limiting, saturation, parallel processing, and more and I still am not happy with the results I'm getting, does anyone have any tips?
Post the Vocal Tracks - sometimes it’’s the vocalist and they just don’t have the voice that can cut through - sometimes it’s the arrangement and there is no room for vocals - and sometimes you need to mix acccording to the Vocals - turning everything down until the vocals are prominent.

I'm the absolute opposite to lazer - minimal compression, no limiter, no smashing the levels - vocals are rarely wide in frequency - so mostly between say 300 and 4000Hz - ish? A bit of sparkle maybe above that. The secret is often to just make sure that space is not already full - so if you have loads of other stuff with midrange, you need to sculpt that a bit to create a 'hole' for the vocal to sit in - then maybe add a touch of compression. Of course if it's crazy loud headbanging stuff then fire up lazer's system, but that's not my way. Make a hole, sit the vocal in it.

You think there is a cost or something? Like if you blow air into the microphone you won't get it back? Then they call you weezy...

Umm wait..

Best be safe use a gate..It's got to protect you from it ...anyways paranoia aside.

More signal is more to work with...no?

Back