Who still listen to CDs?

YanKleber

Retired
I think that this is the same as asking who still uses a club and lives in a cave, but this is my situation...

Around 15 years ago I decided to dump my entire CD collection (it wasn't too big, around 200 discs) and so I converted everything to MP3 and got rid of the physical media. I sold some and gave away others. My justification is that mostly of time I listened to my tunes in my computer office using headphone and also I had a pair of loudspeakers plugged to a stereo for when I wanted to crank volume up. Fast forward to 2020 I decided to mount a stereo set in my house main hall with vintage equipment but didn't want to have a computer with my tunes collection plugged to it because the beauty about old stereos is about the immediate results: you turn it on, press the button and music starts. Then I decided to go back to CDs and had to rebuild my collection. Mostly of CDs I had are nearly to impossible to find and so I am burning my tunes back to CDRs. 😂

How many of you still listen to CDs?

I still have my CD and Album collection. I have two large home stereo systems with floor standing speakers. I can't really listen to music on headphones or I don't enjoy it as much I should say. I even have an audio interface plugged into my stereo so that I can listen to spotify on as good as I can get sound. But rarely MP3s as even I can hear the reduced sound grade. (Quality is a misused term where most people mean grade, long story)

Funny thing, I was reading a good CD player that is not very expensive is a common Blue-ray player, the dedicated CD players are very expensive. The Blue-ray players also play DVD-Audio and SACDs. I will be honest, the DVD-Audio and SACDs, except for the multi channel remastering we not really all that. Yes the stereo version had higher resolution, but I couldn't hear the difference.

I think listening to music on a system with good power and good size speakers is just the best way to listen. Feel the bass, here the stereo mix with both ears.

I still have my CD and album collection, too, although I burned all my CDs to MP3 to pit on USB sticks for my car. Still jabe the Fisher component stereo system I bout in 1987, but the CD player crapped out a couple of years ago, replaced it with a CD changer a friend was getting rid of. Unfortunately, I think the amp is giving up now.

I'm strictly .mp3 these days. My car has a really nice Bose system with CD but I never use the CD anymore. I put whatever I want to listen to on a stick and plug that into a wireless FM gizmo plugged into my car's now socially unacceptable cigarette lighter - IOW, an accessory outlet.

The last home stereo I bought (23 yrs ago) wasn't like the large component jobs I had earlier in my life, it was a tabletop stereo/tape/5-CD carousel. Even then I was phasing out CDs, I only bought 5.. enough to fill the carousel. My new PU truck had a CD player which I never used. All that stuff had/has cassette players too but I never used a one of them.

My next home stereo (should I choose to accept the assignment) will be BT so I can stream from my devices. No CDs. No tapes. No sticks.

I still listen to CD's. I wish they weren't on the path to extinction. Mostly in my truck - the last year/model F150 to have a CD player (2016). I just rolled 103,000 miles - I will have to trade in soon.😞

I still have my CD's but they are in storage for if or when I ever decide I need them. I always liked the CD format but I like the convenience of having everything on my phone even more. I not only have my entire CD collection but everything I ever had on vinyl plus tons of other digital downloads from the past 20 years on my phone. I use bluetooth in my car or with the Klipsch sound bar in my house or a bluetooth speaker outside or in the garage. When I want to use the phone with an old school system I use a cable.

I still have my CD collection, as well as my vinyl collection. Don’t listen to either anymore. I ripped everything to mp3’s and have them stored on my computer. Then I use Plex to stream them from my computer to my home theater system. It’s all too convenient for me to think about having to manually change physical media. I can literally play any song/album that I own without ever getting off my chair.

The funny thing is hard drive space is so cheap these days, I probably could’ve ripped my CDs to cd quality wave files, rather than mp3’s. Best of both worlds. Too lazy now to redo it though. Plus I also use the mp3’s to load on my iPod for use in my car.

Still have CDs, still have records.
Still have and use daily my Kenwood KR9400 receiver@120 watts per channel.
Bought it new in 79 and that beast has gone all over the country with me and is almost always on. Sounds great still.

Weighs as much as a Marshall, but just like a club, it’s still a force to be reckoned with. ;)

I have a large collection I listen to and am always adding more. I have so many now I think I would be dead before I could listen to them all. I listen to them on an honest to goodness stereo system. I went to look at some stereo systems they are selling now, what a joke. There is still a lot out there you can only get on vinyl. Some you can't find anywhere including youtube.

When I got an mp3 player, I copied my whole CD collection to good quality mp3.
It is ok if you know you are going to be bored stiff at some far away pace.
I am still buying CDs, and listening to them.

Still have CDs, still have records.
Still have and use daily my Kenwood KR9400 receiver@120 watts per channel.
Bought it new in 79 and that beast has gone all over the country with me and is almost always on. Sounds great still.

Weighs as much as a Marshall, but just like a club, it’s still a force to be reckoned with. ;)
Nice receiver. I had a 9G, unfortunately it was ripped off when back in '83, along with a Dual 721 turntable and Marantz speakers. Still have my reel to reel, for some reason they didn't take it.

Yes I still listen to CDs and no, I don't listen to CDs !
I used to be a vinyl and cassette person. I had loads of LPs, a few EPs and tons of singles. And whatever I bought on vinyl, I'd record to tape and just played the cassettes, on a Walkman, in the car/van or on the stereo at home.
Sold all my vinyl in 2004 when I discovered VSTis and needed to raise the cash to buy some. Also, a second child was on the way so space was a factor. Before I sold all the vinyl, I recorded them onto blank CDs. I had them all on tape so it wasn't until 2007 that I got the shock of my life when I was re-recording one of the albums onto a tape {the previous one had worn out} and found that the disc had this awful scratching sound around the 65th minute {most of the CDs were 80 minutes}. I tried another and found that the same thing occurred. The discs were Hi-Space and I was livid. It later transpired that this particular batch were part of the infamous "Blackburn batch" that were faulty ones that somehow got onto the market.
And I'd sold the blasted albums !
Interestingly, it never affected the 74-minute ones.
By that point, I had a few CDs but like my vinyl, I used to just put them on tape so I never played them. Over the next few years, I rebuilt the collection of the albums that had gotten wrecked by the Blackburn batch, mainly on CD but I did also buy some vinyl and put them onto CD again ~ this time, I'd check each one after I'd recorded it ! I had to do some serious hunting for some of the vinyl because a lot of them were rare jazz and jazz-fusion albums that weren't available on CD or were horrendous MP3 transfers. There was one I remember so well, a song called "Black Vibrations" by a group called Friends from a self-titled 1972 album, I found it on Amazon, it was terrible. I downloaded a pirate, it was terrible. I actually wrote an Amazon review in which I asked if I was the only person that could hear the terrible quality of the MP3 because people kept praising it to the hilt.
Anyway, I digress.
I sold all the re-bought vinyl albums again and had tons of CDs when I found that I was having to replace more and more cassettes and they weren't sounding so great so in 2015 I decided to ditch them altogether, buy a load of old ipods and transfer all my music onto them. It took a while, but I did it. I have 15 ipods, of various GB storage and split into different genres. I sold the cassettes off and made quite a bit of money. I sold them off in 30s and 40s. I decided to take anything I got for them. In some cases I got £7, in others I got over £100.
Life's funny.
So I have probably about 1000 CDs or more.
But I never play them. The only CDs I'll play are of my own recordings when I'm testing them on the stereos or in the car or little CD baby boom box {it's more of a "brm" box}.
But I listen to music every day more or less, while I'm cycling or walking to and from work. Most of my ipod stuff is burned to Apple Lossless or 320 MP3. Really, my CD/ipod configuration has simply replaced my old vinyl/cassette one. In some things, I've remained a creature of habit.
And when Goldilocks awoke and saw the 3 bears standing over her, she jumped off the bed, ran out of the house and never returned to the forest again.

THE END.

I still listen to CDs, Today it was Paradise Theater, yesterday it was Yellow Brick Road. I have a 100 disc changer upstairs so it's almost as easy as dragging MP3s to Media Player. Just spin the knob until the name of the disc you want comes up and then hit the button.
That system has an Onkyo receiver with a pair of Vandersteen 1Bs.

Downstairs, I have the system with my separates. There are several hundred CDs on the shelves, or I can just put one in the computer and play through the JBL 308s.

I also have records, but they dont' get a lot of play anymore. I have to be in the right mood to fool with the cleaning and flipping ritual.

I bought this one just the other day. It has a convoluted history with me that I won't go into 🤐 😍 🤩 🥳 but other than replacing the copy I have on the ipod {which I got from YouTube}, I won't play it. I call it preservative, which is what I used to call my vinyl records.

I skipped the whole cassette era. Tapes were a pain in the ass. Went from Vinyl to CDs, I like something I can hold in my hand, I don't have a phone and my puter isnt hooked up to any kind of sound system.

I skipped the whole cassette era. Tapes were a pain in the ass
They hit me at 12. It really was love at first embrace. The day my Dad left the country and gave me a cassette recorder was the day I actually bought the first two albums I ever bought with my own money {it might not have been mine actually, I might have stolen it}. Two cassettes. I didn't actually intend to buy those two in particular, {the Bay City Rollers' "Rollin'"
iu
and a compilation of original singles called "Supersonic"
iu
that was named after a TV show that used to have the groups miming to them} but they were the only thing they had that day in the shop
iu
Woolworths that remotely interested me. I barely played Supersonic and as my sister was a Rollermaniac, it was great to have "Rollin'" to use as leverage.
Once I discovered the Beatles, my cassette appreciation and usage went up 712% and that was where I was at for the next 40 years. I probably spent more money on blank tapes in those 40 years than any other single commodity.
Went from Vinyl to CDs
I was a very late convert to CDs. I didn't buy my first one until 1991. It was called
iu
by these 2 Irish guys, one called Dave Callinan {who went on to write books} and Mick Flynn {who didn't}. I was going through an Irish folk music phase at the time, on the back of my jazz/fusion journey of 1990 and the way the album was described in a free Tower Records mag
iu
really piqued my interest. They described it as "Irish folk played on rock instruments" and as I was on a Horslips kick at the time, having discovered their brilliant first 6 LPs, I went searching for it on vinyl as at the time I just did not want to get into CD.
But the record was £400 ! 😲
I looked for a few weeks and had to admit defeat and I went and bought the CD in some sleazy back street record shop that was trying to modernize. I had to get a friend to record it onto tape for me but I loved the album eventually.
Very little of it was really "Irish folk played on rock instruments" but there is some of that and even 30+ years later, it's glorious.
While originally looking for the LP I had bought a copy of Record Collector
iu
and in it, I read of the Mothers of Invention's live album "Piquantique"
iu
which was described as jazz-fusion and having George Duke and Jean-Luc Ponty on it. The previous year, I'd gotten into some of Ponty's stuff and one of the albums was with George Duke so a couple of weeks after buying my first CD I relented and bought my 2nd one
iu
which I got the same friend to record onto tape for me. It wasn't until towards the end of '93 that I actually bought a CD player {I think I bought a DAT the same day or the day after} and that was mainly because by then, I was multitracking and decided that instead of having the final result on vinyl, I'd put it on CD and in those days, one had to get it mixed to DAT then take it somewhere to be transferred.
I bought a couple of CDs around '95 {one was Black Sabbath Vol 4} but it was '96/97 when I really started buying them in earnest although it wasn't really until the episode with the Blackburn batch that I really started going to town.
I would never have thought, even at the start of 2004 that I would ever be in a situation where I had no vinyl and a thousand CDs. Same with cassettes, even at the beginning of 2015. There isn't a cassette in my house. It's like the children left home in one fell swoop.
I like something I can hold in my hand
TMI dogooder, TMI !! 😅
I don't have a phone and my puter isnt hooked up to any kind of sound system.
My computer has a couple of quite good speakers hooked up it, a couple of Altecs. They handle bass pretty nicely and are an important part of my mix listening. If my mixes translate to those, then I have no worries about how they'll sound on a computer.
I'd never put my music on my phone {I barely use the phone actually}. There again, I felt that way about vinyl and cassette not too long ago. But I think the ipod was one of the greater musical inventions, dare I say it, even better than cassette ~ which would have been sacrilegious to me even when I entered my 50s.
And when the prince saw that the glass slipper fitted the foot of the dirty cleaning wench, he knew he had found his dream woman and true love and he went home to arrange a huge wedding and he and Cinderella lived happily ever after.

THE END

They hit me at 12. It really was love at first embrace. The day my Dad left the country and gave me a cassette recorder was the day I actually bought the first two albums I ever bought with my own money {it might not have been mine actually, I might have stolen it}. Two cassettes. I didn't actually intend to buy those two in particular, {the Bay City Rollers' "Rollin'"
iu
and a compilation of original singles called "Supersonic"
iu
that was named after a TV show that used to have the groups miming to them} but they were the only thing they had that day in the shop
iu
Woolworths that remotely interested me. I barely played Supersonic and as my sister was a Rollermaniac, it was great to have "Rollin'" to use as leverage.
Once I discovered the Beatles, my cassette appreciation and usage went up 712% and that was where I was at for the next 40 years. I probably spent more money on blank tapes in those 40 years than any other single commodity.

I was a very late convert to CDs. I didn't buy my first one until 1991. It was called
iu
by these 2 Irish guys, one called Dave Callinan {who went on to write books} and Mick Flynn {who didn't}. I was going through an Irish folk music phase at the time, on the back of my jazz/fusion journey of 1990 and the way the album was described in a free Tower Records mag
iu
really piqued my interest. They described it as "Irish folk played on rock instruments" and as I was on a Horslips kick at the time, having discovered their brilliant first 6 LPs, I went searching for it on vinyl as at the time I just did not want to get into CD.
But the record was £400 ! 😲
I looked for a few weeks and had to admit defeat and I went and bought the CD in some sleazy back street record shop that was trying to modernize. I had to get a friend to record it onto tape for me but I loved the album eventually.
Very little of it was really "Irish folk played on rock instruments" but there is some of that and even 30+ years later, it's glorious.
While originally looking for the LP I had bought a copy of Record Collector
iu
and in it, I read of the Mothers of Invention's live album "Piquantique"
iu
which was described as jazz-fusion and having George Duke and Jean-Luc Ponty on it. The previous year, I'd gotten into some of Ponty's stuff and one of the albums was with George Duke so a couple of weeks after buying my first CD I relented and bought my 2nd one
iu
which I got the same friend to record onto tape for me. It wasn't until towards the end of '93 that I actually bought a CD player {I think I bought a DAT the same day or the day after} and that was mainly because by then, I was multitracking and decided that instead of having the final result on vinyl, I'd put it on CD and in those days, one had to get it mixed to DAT then take it somewhere to be transferred.
I bought a couple of CDs around '95 {one was Black Sabbath Vol 4} but it was '96/97 when I really started buying them in earnest although it wasn't really until the episode with the Blackburn batch that I really started going to town.
I would never have thought, even at the start of 2004 that I would ever be in a situation where I had no vinyl and a thousand CDs. Same with cassettes, even at the beginning of 2015. There isn't a cassette in my house. It's like the children left home in one fell swoop.

TMI dogooder, TMI !! 😅

My computer has a couple of quite good speakers hooked up it, a couple of Altecs. They handle bass pretty nicely and are an important part of my mix listening. If my mixes translate to those, then I have no worries about how they'll sound on a computer.
I'd never put my music on my phone {I barely use the phone actually}. There again, I felt that way about vinyl and cassette not too long ago. But I think the ipod was one of the greater musical inventions, dare I say it, even better than cassette ~ which would have been sacrilegious to me even when I entered my 50s.
And when the prince saw that the glass slipper fitted the foot of the dirty cleaning wench, he knew he had found his dream woman and true love and he went home to arrange a huge wedding and he and Cinderella lived happily ever after.

THE END
I read that whole thing and the best part was where it said the end!

Funny thing, I was reading a good CD player that is not very expensive is a common Blue-ray player, the dedicated CD players are very expensive. The Blue-ray players also play DVD-Audio and SACDs. I will be honest, the DVD-Audio and SACDs, except for the multi channel remastering we not really all that. Yes the stereo version had higher resolution, but I couldn't hear the difference.

I think listening to music on a system with good power and good size speakers is just the best way to listen. Feel the bass, here the stereo mix with both ears.

I am very happy that I am not the only one here! I don't know about Blu-Ray players but I have a few of those small DVD-Players that costed me like $30-40 each brand new in box. They play great. The only thing that bugs me about those machines is that the majority of them doesn't have a display then is hard to move along the tracks (it makes sense they don't have displays because since they are made for DVD playing you expect that they will be plugged to a TV). The other thing that bugs me is that they uses to be very slow to open/close the tray, to recognize the disk, etc. Anyway, they are so cheap that I have purchased a bunch of them to see which one pleases me more and lately I found one with a small display and that is lightning fast. The curious fact is that it is of a mysterious brand "Knup". I should buy another one or two of them to keep here as a backup. :D

Back