Votes: 28 12.3%
  • They Both Rock

Votes: 63 27.6%
  • They Both Suck

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
Haha, this poll is 2.5 years old! How was this dragged up again?

Regardless, I voted for all 5 choices at once. Cool.

Peter Criss is Much better than either of them!

Peter Criss would wail on either of them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
pratt said:
how 'bout Bun E. Carlos? what other drummer out there can play 'Dream Police' with a smoke dangling from their lips?:D

And he's just at effective playing left handed. Cheap Trick is my wife's favorite band. I've seen them a bunch of times, and sat at the bar and drank with Bun E. and Tom.

tim

i don't know who is better, or how that would even be determined. the way i see it, if the drumming doesn't distract from the music, the the drummer is doing a good job.

i used to work with a guy that went to high school with dave grohl. he said dave was really good, even back then, on pretty much any instrument he picked up.

Its not Dave Grohl on new QOTSA album

cka73 said:
Taylor is good, but Grohl is great drummer.He's freaking awesome on the new Queens Of The Stone Age cd.

I,m not sure of this dudes name but he is awsome??? Definitely not Dave Grohl. He played on the 2nd last QOTSA album not the latest.
cheers

Dethska said:
As far as showmanship, Tommy Lee gets my vote.

Dave vs. Taylor, I go with Taylor. At least he doesn't play guitar, and sticks behind the skins where he belongs.

Taylor does indeed play guitar and sing. I went and saw Foo Fighters during their In Your Honor tour and Taylor plays guitar and sings for "Cold Day In The Sun" whilst Dave got behind the drum kit.

I love Foo Fighters but I love Nirvana better. Dave gets my vote

Samhain said:
David Grohl said in an interview way back in the Nirvana Days that he was a better Guitar Player than he was a drummer. And personally I believe that... he is an excellent guitar player and his drumming style to me reflects the way a guitar player would want to hear the drums to sound. Real fat and to the point.

Taylor is more of a drummer's type of drummer, in as far as his technique, his fills, his chops, and just his approach to playing is just infinitely more interesting to me. Although both rock my vote is for Taylor, because he keeps me more involved in the song.

Cheers
Samhain

It's funny you would say he sounds like a guitar player playing the drums. To me, it's the oposite. I started as a drummer but I have also picked up guitar over the years. I see the same traits in his guitar plying as myself. He's a lot more rythmic with his up/down stroking and a lot more basic with little leads/solos (than other guitar players who DON'T play drums).

As for who's better?...nah...their both very refreshing rock drummers to listen to. Taylor is one of those drummers who it would be hard not to recognize. Even if I heard him playing with another band, I would know right off the bat that it was him, or at least a drummer who loves Taylor Hawkins. He's very powerful, and hard-hitting, but he can also demonstrate a great level of control. A very dynamic modern rock drummer.

Grohl, well. To me he sounds a lot different of a drummer now than he used to be. He was a very loud, double-crashing, heavy-handed drummer in Nirvana, which his style left a hefty dent in the time line of the heavy rock and grunge era. On the Queens of the stone age album "Songs for the Deaf" he completely blew my mind. Very creative, explores differents timing in some musical situations where he completely seperates himself from the band. I would say he was acting like a percussionist on the drumset at times, being, not the first, but one of the first drummers to incorporate a drumsolo while the band is still playing with him. Jimmy Chamberlain has also demonstrated this in Zwan.

badassmak said:
I'm sorry, but comparing two diffrent people like this is like comparing apples and oranges...its moronic.

Hey, does travis whatshisface drum on a set of hydraulics or stage dive?...showmanship wise, slipknot pretty much wins hands down on ANY band I have EVER seen. And I will also tell you that is the only reason I have ever bought any of their cd's.

I'm not throwing the guy from slipknot in their because I think he is absolutely the best drummer, but to show how absolutely moronic this kindof poll is.

I saw them at the heineken music hall in Amsterdam, Holland. Slipknot is without a doubt the suckiest band I have ever seen live. I have and continue to see punk ass garage bands playing in local bars that are better than Slipknot. They really suck. The Heineken Music Hall out there though has fantastic sound. Thank god you can smoke weed in Holland because you will need it (and a few heinekens) to get through a SkipKnot show.

They had the 'number of the beast' lit up in lights and the dorks in the overalls on their barrells and they did that annoying "now everybody on this side of the room yell, now the other side, you all are a bunch of pussies let me hear ya screeeeeeeaaaaaammmmmm!"

Fags with a capital F.

i like Dave Grohl's playing. the stuff he did on the Tenacious D album was great. i remember hearing the songs on the TV show, and it seems that dave made the perfect drum arrangements to fit the songs. shows that he's more interested in making the song as a whole sound good than just showing off his chops and trying to take over a song by force like a lot of drummers out there.

Well

Taye is more of a technical drummer but still hard core when needed, Grohl Is a mad man, not quite as technical, loved grohl on the Tenacious D album And Hawkins On Alanis Morissetes first stuff, especialy her live DVD. MY 2 pennies. Seen them both play live at the same gig, Taylor played Gig and sang one of his new songs and Dave played drums, VERY GOOD

Being a hardcore and Foo nut since I was 9. I can tell you that Taylor is indeed faster than Dave. Taylor is more into Stewart Copeland kinda stuff,and Dave is more Washington D.C. Hardcore. Dave is fast,don't get me wrong,but after seeing Taylor live on drums last year. He is indeed got one up on Dave. Dave is more into Bonham,and it shows with the speed,and fills,and crossovers. Taylor gets my vote.

Yessss, a topic about Dave Grohl. (is proudly wearing her Rock and Grohl hoddie). Man, DG has drummed for so many different people, it's crazy. He's the D machine, man!!!

On the other hand Taylor Hawkins once drummed for Alanis Morrisette...which is cool to me. But, he can also kick ass. (I think you know how I voted now)

:D

Rich606 said:
Being a hardcore and Foo nut since I was 9. I can tell you that Taylor is indeed faster than Dave. Taylor is more into Stewart Copeland kinda stuff,and Dave is more Washington D.C. Hardcore. Dave is fast,don't get me wrong,but after seeing Taylor live on drums last year. He is indeed got one up on Dave. Dave is more into Bonham,and it shows with the speed,and fills,and crossovers. Taylor gets my vote.

Have you heard his drums on the new NIN album, With Teeth? Man, it doesn't get much faster than that, seems like... I'm talking about the song called "You Know What You Are". Ever heard it?

Grey Angel said:
Have you heard his drums on the new NIN album, With Teeth? Man, it doesn't get much faster than that, seems like... I'm talking about the song called "You Know What You Are". Ever heard it?

Also keep in mind Trent cuts Dave's tracks down to MIDI like. So don't be fooled that stuff isnt tampered with. Grohl's still my hero anyways. Best work is on " Song's For The Deaf " track four has some amazing ending fills.

Back