Who in the UK has dealt with Terry?

jpmorris

Tape Wolf
I'm struggling to organise the arcane form of payment he requires and my bank has not been terribly helpful about it.
I'm pretty sure some UK folks here have managed to pay him, so I'd be interested to know what they did, how they did it and who they used.

Is this terry the r2r man from brum?
What is an arcane payment?
not sure i get what your on about ? pm me if you want.

i've sent about 5 rollers to him, but i am in california. He should have like paypal or something. If you dont find a way i'll be happy to help you and buy the money order for you or something. But there should be a way from the UK.

I think he just takes Money Orders.

Don't you have *International* Postal Money Orders in Wales?

Maybe 30 years ago. Everyone uses Paypal now.

There are still people that won't pay the PayPal fee...and they takeonly Money Orders or checks, but with checks you have to wait for it to clear, Postal MOs or better, and they do have International ones.

When I looked on Terry's site...his order form says "Money Orders" as payment.
Of course, his site is a little "stale" to say the least :D so if Alan says he now takes PayPal, then I guess he does...though the OP mentions "arcane" form of payment...so I'm wondering what Terry does take these days. :)

I bought stuff from Terry and I and in Australia, just paid with paypal no problems. Top Guy.

alan.

Alan (and any other Aussies),

Do you know about Ames here in Perth? Welshpool actually. I've always used them.
I think John Galbraith initially put me onto them many years ago. He does rerubbering for the printing trade. Big stuff. Pinch rollers and idler wheels are just a sideline. But he has all the gear and experience.

I had Ames details mentioned on Get Reel vintage tape recorders website and now they get pinch roller orders from far afield.

Cheers Tim

Alan (and any other Aussies),

Do you know about Ames here in Perth? Welshpool actually. I've always used them.
I think John Galbraith initially put me onto them many years ago. He does rerubbering for the printing trade. Big stuff. Pinch rollers and idler wheels are just a sideline. But he has all the gear and experience.

I had Ames details mentioned on Get Reel vintage tape recorders website and now they get pinch roller orders from far afield.

Cheers Tim

I did not know about Ames, but I do know big John, he is my main tech for getting me out of trouble. Should be seeing him in the next 2 weeks.

Terry's site is a bit stale, when I purchased the last roller he wanted a money order and I said I was overseas so he aggred to paypal as long as I paid the paypal fees. Just drop him an email.

Alan.

I bought stuff from Terry and I and in Australia, just paid with paypal no problems. Top Guy.

alan.

Really? That's interesting. The very first thing I did was ask him whether he could take an "electronic form of payment such as Paypal", and what the total would come to. He answered every part of the email except the Paypal question. Which in my book usually means 'no'.

though the OP mentions "arcane" form of payment...so I'm wondering what Terry does take these days.
When a straw poll around the office of "Has anyone here ever needed to send a money order?" returns blank looks from people older than me, when even the bank can barely remember what a money order is and don't want to do it, that might be a sign that it's a little past its sell-by date. Heck, we're phasing out cheques soon and people still use those fairly regularly.

I dunno, maybe it's because a relatively small island can easily have a completely integrated banking system and the US is big and fragmented enough that it still needs to rely on things like that to function? In my experience it does seem to have a lot more in the way of local banks, which are considered kind of quaint and/or dodgy where I come from.

Either way, if Terry can take Paypal, I'll have to ask him about it again. So far it's set things back by about a month. What I'm desperately trying to avoid is sending him the rollers and then have the payment fail because he can't accept it.

Last edited:
If your banks don't money orders...have you tried the Post Office...?

Not yet. I was going to try that today, but forgot to bring the order forms.

Also...what about Western Union? They should do something similar to a hardcopy money order for international transfers.

If it will work, I can try that. Here they're kind of synonymous with scams, so it wasn't exactly my first choice, and again, I wasn't sure if it would require extra effort on his part to process (or not work at all).

What I don't want to do is sink the money into something he can't process. I knew this was going to be a hassle so I waited until I had four rollers to send, and I want an MSR24 spare as well, so it'll get very expensive, very quickly if the money disappears into limbo-land and I have to pay for it several times.

Back