Who has never heard analog before?

Have you ever heard a true analog recording?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thegatekeeper

Hey just posting to see who has never heard a true analog recording before. Be it on vynl, tape etc. No cd's, no mp3's a true analog recording from the source. I am 21 years old, and me personally I don't even know what a 2" tape machine looks like. I"ve been working with sound since I was 16 and I even worked as a studio intern, but everyone was straight into pro tools. Never heard what tape sounds like, so when people talk about emulating the analog "warmth" I'm like I wonder what it sounds like? Any way leave your messages.

thegatekeeper said:
I don't even know what a 2" tape machine looks like. .
It looks like THIS

thegatekeeper said:
when people talk about emulating the analog "warmth" I'm like I wonder what it sounds like?.
It sounds like THIS

thegatekeeper said:
Any way leave your messages.
My message is:
In today's world where and when the way it sounds means no sh*t it's all about watching hypnotizing motion of the needle
Now for the "mystery". If you search google images for "VU", the first image you get to find is???! ... - THIS ONE ! heh heh - Go figure. :p

Attachments

• MaytagMan.gif
    MaytagMan.gif
    61.5 KB · Views: 188
Hey Doc, the above looks remarkably like the Ampex 300 model. What gives ? :D

Attachments

• 300_3.jpg
    300_3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 184
cjacek said:
Hey Doc, the above looks remarkably like the Ampex 300 model. What gives ? :D
Ha-ha :D
Maybe Mr Maytag needs to make a note from this thread... and start designing something ala "Bake 'em or spin 'em all-in-one unit" :D

Dear thegatekeeper,
You'd really have to define analogue & then create a set of recording methods & a subset of acceptable analogue formats to get a ral answer to your querie. If you mean a non digital recording - something that doesn't use 0's & 1's to represent the movement of air as a response to vibrartion then read on....
If you are involved in audio then you should, as amatter of proper backgrounding & professional development, seek out the very things you speak of & expose yourself to them ( No , not flash at them).
Get some serious time under your belt listening to, contrasting & comparing with wire recordings, Library of Congress direct to disc cuttings, 8 track cassette, compact cassette, mono tape, stereo tape, multitrack tape, vinyl, heavy vinyl, 1/2 speed masters, gate fold sleeves etc and get to know what analogous means, then analogue, then RIAA EQing etc to CD, CDR, DAW, Digital remastering, and finally that nail in the coffin of HI FI - MP3.
Then you can develop a personal INFORMED position on the topic to agree with or argue with luddites, lowlights & tapeheads.
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
Get a turntable and some old vinyl. I've heard that a lot of the newer vinyl is pressed off of 16-bit CD's nowadays. :eek:

sometimes that happens, labels that don't know any better will just send a cd-r in to get plates cut. its kind of tough to release a 100% analog record nowadays.

FALKEN said:
Get a turntable and some old vinyl. I've heard that a lot of the newer vinyl is pressed off of 16-bit CD's nowadays. :eek:

You know, I was thinking about that when I listened to re-released Love on Sundazed vinyl :D Sounds terrible to me

FALKEN said:
Its a far cry from the 80's when I remember New Zealand's first CD top 40 compilation CD coming out. They had complaints - they couldn't get a number of the tracks on tape so had to dub off the 45s. Even on the tape version you could hear rumble and surface noise!

Also this site refers to one of the tragedys of NZ music from the 70's-80's era - a number of recordings were lost completely and many survive from old vinyl. I remember when "Jumping Out A Window" was in the NZ top 10 in the early 80's; I have it on a complilation CD complete with pops and clicks. If you think sticky shed is bad then having no copies at all has got to be worse.... :eek:

NZ Musician said:
Only one song, Jumping Out A Window, has appeared on CD before and this was a dub from vinyl scratches and pops included. This is the first time the rest of their catalogue has been seen or heard on disc. All tracks have been painstakingly restored and mastered.

thegatekeeper said:
what is the standard tape machine used in studios? Looking around to pick one up

IMHO, unless you plan to open a busy professional recording studio with special requirements, it doesn't really matter if you choose an MCI, Studer, Otari, TASCAM, Fostex, 8 tracks on 1/4" tape or 8 tracks on 1" tape or 24 tracks on 2" tape or countless other configurations. All will get you "noticed" IF you know how to record and have good musicians. "If you can’t make a hit record with a Tascam or a Fostex, then you’re not going to do it with a Studer or Otari !" (David Mellor, Sound on Sound)

Back