Which USB audio interface with 4 XLR inputs??

greengyozaman

Hi - I'm looking to get a USB interface primarily to record myself on piano with/without another solo instrument or a group of soloists using 4 XLR inputs. Around £200-250 max, and hoping that it would work perfectly with either my Acer netbook or my HP laptop (AMD Athlon x2 with Windows Vista) and needs to be as compact as possible. Also easy to combine 2 channels (1 and 2, and 3 and 4) to record stereo...

Mics I own to choose from: Matched pairs of Rode NT-55, Rode NT1-A, AKG C214, and SE Electronics SE4400a

Please let me know which one would be a best investment in terms of ease of installation, sound quality, ease of use, and overall performance:

M-Audio Fast Track C600
AKAI EIE Pro
PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL
Tascam US-600 or US-800
Alesis iO4

Many thanks.

I'm using the Presonus 44VSL and I'm relatively happy with it. As to it's sound quality versus others listed I have no idea, I've never A/B'd it against anything else.

You didn't mention what feature content is important to you, so that is something you will need to consider. My choices were narrowed between the focusrite with 4 inputs, and the presonus. While I have nothing but good things about the focusrite, my decision came down to the 44vsl as it had midi in/out and no SMTPE, while the focusrite was the other way around. I choose midi as more important to me.

The 44vsl begins to generate hiss with the input gain below clipping and usually at 3 o clock on the knob. Zero being 6 o'clock . I'm not sure if that is a noisy gain stage or noise in the condenser mics.

Lexicon I-O | 42 previously called U42S. Great unit that I own and has all the features you listed.

Back