Which to upgrade...instrument or interface

andrushkiwt

Hey yo, I went very bare bones and cheap when I started this recording stuff last year. I believe I'm about ready to move up with the goal of achieving a cleaner, higher quality sound. Alternative rock music with Superior Drummer, Sterling ST51.

I use the AudioBox USB into my laptop. I also have a crummy, 20 year old Fender clone that the previous owner modified in some ways that are beyond my ability to relate. He put in "active" pickups which require a battery but also distort the AudioBox when they are "on". They really increase the volume by about 10db or so, just being switched on, so I do not use those.

Anyways, I'm looking for less idle "hum", clearer guitar sounds, and something that will help the guitar "chug" a little more (think Breaking Benjamin). I use the decent amp sim that comes with Studio One 2 Pro.

I've read that no big difference is noticeable in USB interfaces until you move into RME interfaces. So...what would you guys do? Upgrade the semi-trashed guitar or the USB interface first?

here's an example of the sound i'm getting out of the current combination.

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/why-you-called

thanks!

Audiobox is not a bad interface. You might want to try to turn down the inputs on the Audiobox, turn down the pickups. Is Audiobox the best, no. But it does a pretty decent job in the sub $500 category.

I would work on the guitar first, try and get a sound you like. Work on understanding tracking and mixing. When you know what you want, then think about upgrading.

The 51 is not a bad mic, I have one, it will do for a beginner. Just get everything as good as you can for now while you are learning, upgrades can always happen. But once you buy something you don't like, you just lost money.

Work with what you have, maybe look at other guitars if you can't get the sound.

Work with what you have, maybe look at other guitars if you can't get the sound.

I can't. Some people will say it's a good sound, but it's just not what I'm looking for. I was wondering which has a greater affect. Of course, mixing skills are essential, i understand. I wouldn't be surprised if the sound I want is only capable of being produced from mic'ing an amp. Anyways, I think I'll go with a new guitar. This one was a cheapo to test the waters in "home recording".

I can't. Some people will say it's a good sound, but it's just not what I'm looking for. I was wondering which has a greater affect. Of course, mixing skills are essential, i understand. I wouldn't be surprised if the sound I want is only capable of being produced from mic'ing an amp. Anyways, I think I'll go with a new guitar. This one was a cheapo to test the waters in "home recording".

IMO, you can never go wrong with a good guitar regardless of your interface.

Real drums will do a big one for your songs. It's tough because you need a good set, a few microphones and a good room as well as a person that can play and an interface that has enough inputs.
It will sound better.

Real drums will do a big one for your songs. It's tough because you need a good set, a few microphones and a good room as well as a person that can play and an interface that has enough inputs.
It will sound better.

and when someone donates a room and a set to me, I'll be all over it! actually, old band-mate is dying to play drums on my tracks. He has a good space and a very good set, but I have only a single Shure 58 (not 57) and it'd be way too difficult and time consuming. Worst case, he has volunteered to write the parts out in SD2. He agrees with about 60% of what I write drum-wise, haha. The last tune was his most agreeable, particularly the fills. But yeah, I agree with you.

\o/ just butting in to say that track you posted kicks arse :D ...
/ \

I agree. I love this song. What you've been able to achieve here is awesome.

I think you're going down the right path with upgrading the guitar first. The interface doesn't sound like it's the bottleneck to better recordings at this point. For what it's worth though, I upgraded from an Audiobox USB to a TASCAM US-1800. Lots more inputs (you could record a full drum kit with it) and it's pretty affordable and works great. There are a few regulars here who have the same interface.

Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff with the new gear.

I agree. I love this song. What you've been able to achieve here is awesome.

hey, thanks! I've learned most things through this forum, and put in ridiculous hours. that means a ton to me, thank you.

I think you're going down the right path with upgrading the guitar first. The interface doesn't sound like it's the bottleneck to better recordings at this point.

Just what I needed to hear. Thanks dude

Yes indeed, good stuff! Now, if you can do that I am sure you can strip the guts out of that guitar and return it to passive operation! The internet abounds with connection diagrams. Shield it as well and you should have a good instrument. Mind you, this is assuming the action and intonation is up to snuff?

Re the interface, I am with the others, no need to spend out atmo. If you have any issues such as lack of inputs or more latency than you would like you could move up to my favourite the NI KA6 but I doubt you will detect any improvement in the basic sound quality.

Dave.

Yes indeed, good stuff! Now, if you can do that I am sure you can strip the guts out of that guitar and return it to passive operation! The internet abounds with connection diagrams. Shield it as well and you should have a good instrument. Mind you, this is assuming the action and intonation is up to snuff?

Re the interface, I am with the others, no need to spend out atmo. If you have any issues such as lack of inputs or more latency than you would like you could move up to my favourite the NI KA6 but I doubt you will detect any improvement in the basic sound quality.

Dave.

"Fix" the old guitar....hmm.... Never done this. I may have a new project for the remainder of the summer. Not even sure what to google search beside "guitar sounds like crap". Anyhow, good idea and I'll consider it! And thanks for the comment on the interface; good to know the improvement wouldn't be much. Good answers here.

Instrument all the way!

I had an M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

I bought a Les Paul.

It sounds beautiful tracked through the Fast Track Pro.

I bought an RME Fireface UCX.

It sounds beautiful tracked through the UCX.

A quality instrument made a much bigger impact on me and on the quality of my recordings.

I will have my guitar(s) until the day I die.

The interface will probably be replaced in a few years with something else. That one will probably be replaced as well.

By all means, upgrade your interface at some point, but wait until you absolutely know that it is the piece in your chain that is limiting your progress in some way (which could be never - or until the interface just stops working). I could have happily continued with my FTP. It was more about features for me than a sense of needed better quality (and honestly, my mixing skills are not at the level that the interface makes any difference at all).

You don't play, love, formulate ideas with, express what you want to say, rip out a cool riff with your interface.

By all means, upgrade your interface at somepoint, but wait until you absolutely know that it is the piece in your chain that is limiting your progress in some way (which could be never - or until the interface just stops working)

Got it. Glad the answers here are pointing to one thing. Now to research for the right gee-tar. Thanks!

Got it. Glad the answers here are pointing to one thing. Now to research for the right gee-tar. Thanks!

I shall probably have the luthiers round my house giving me a kicking but! If the guitar is say a Strat it is not rocket science to wire up the pickups and the pots and even if you f*k up badly you cannot possibly damage yourself or any other equipment.

The basic tools needed are a small crosspoint screwdriver for the scratch plate screws, a bigger X point to check the neck bolts are tight (called "bolts" but in reality are big mother woodscrews).

Small, 3" electronics tech's side cutters, 4" long nosed pliers to hold wires while you strip and solder them and for the pot and jack nuts tho it is far cooler to get a dinky 3" adjustable spanner for these!

Solder iron and leaded 60/40 solder if you can find it, an old telly repair shop might sell you the 6 feet you will need. Bit of an investment? Well yes but all this kit will come in handy for fixing/making cables in the future.

Dave.

Dude...I take my car to the shop for an OIL CHANGE.

So do I! Nasty dirty job especially if like me you don't have a garage..THEN you have to take the old oil to the tip.

But wiring pups in a guitar is a clean hands, kitchen table job. If you can't fix a cable of a wet Sunday afternoon your music don't get recorded.

I am a pretty good electronics tech* and a fair dab at recording and a rotten guitar player (bit better on bass) but at least I try!

*Bit tricky now I am one eyed.

Dave.

So do I! Nasty dirty job especially if like me you don't have a garage..THEN you have to take the old oil to the tip.

I'll ask a tech friend of mine for an estimate. I'm probably better off with something new though - i am super lazy and have never been a "gear guy". The intonation does have problems as well. Quite a few cents off between open string and 12th fret.

I've had the same problem with an active bass.
I have to pad the input down to avoid clipping.

I do agree with those before me though. I doubt an interface upgrade would yield a noticeable quality increase when it comes to DIing an instrument.
If you look at anything, look at the instrument. :)

The best thing you can do is mic up a nice amp, but I guess there's a reason you're not doing that?

Back