• Vic Firth

Votes: 80 44.0%
  • Zildjian

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters

drummerdoug86

I have been using Pro Mark's 5A oak for my rock band, but they break soooo easily. So now I need to switch to a more durable stick. Feel free to post what model in addition to voting for a brand, and what type of music you play.

Thanks.

5A in a rock band?
IMO, 5A's are better suited for a jazz or soft-rock band.
Have you tried 5B's? And how are your cymbals setup? You may be hitting them at a bad angle, thus shaving wood off your sticks.

I use VicFirth or Zildjian 5B's. Try the Zildjian Anti-Vibe's, they're sweet!

I use the Pro Mark Mike Portnoy signature sticks myself. They're just right for me and durable as hell.

try some corps masters... i guarantee they wont break on ur set.... lol jp

i like the vic firth sticks. I have never broken a pair of 5Bs or 5As... and some of them are pretty shaved

i dont remember exactly..but they were those "flame" series or something...where htey had purple grips at the bottom....they've lasted me since like august, with the exception of one of the tips missing...i need some new ones ;)

Drummer4Life05 said:
5A in a rock band?
IMO, 5A's are better suited for a jazz or soft-rock band.
Have you tried 5B's? And how are your cymbals setup? You may be hitting them at a bad angle, thus shaving wood off your sticks.

Yeah i was using 5A's. I dont know, i guess just liked the feel of them. I'll have to drop by my local store and check out the 5B's. As far as my cymbals go, i have one on the left behind my snare and one on the right between my mid tom and floor tom. Both are tilted toward my thorne.

Vic Firth 7A......

I play rock, blues and jazz....... all with the same band.........

I love the light touch - but i go through a set of sticks a night - and a gerbil or hamster would love the wood shavings - i work the rim of my snare and play the cymbals anywhere from the flat to the edge..........

I couldn't imagine playing with anything as thick as a 5A or B - it would feel like a club in my hands.

Rod

Zildjian 5A nylon tips. Play punk music in my band, don't really have much problem with breaking the sticks, just the nylon tips. They either split or fall off, so I end up glueing the back on. I don't really like the way wooden tips sound like on hihats and rides though.

Vic Firth 7A Nylon or occassionally 5A Nylon tips for me. I own hundreds of sticks although I don't go through them that fast.I eventually retire sticks when they get too chewed up from cymbals or from rimshots. I have sticks from other manufacturers also but I like the shoulders and the tip shape on the Vic Firths the best, they are a bit heavier then 7A's from other manufacturers. I will occassionally
use Regal Tip 7A's when I want an even lighter touch, these are a very light stick with real slim shoulders.
I haven't had a problem with the tips shooting off. That used to happen a lot many years ago, but with all of the manufacturers, they all seem to be made much better now.

There was no selection for all of the above. Well, all except for Vater and Vic Firth. I have a few that are not of a brand name. Just sticks for Rock by The Willis Music Co. and that one seems to be holding up well, by surprise. Though, sometimes I have played them too hard and split them to Nebraska and back or like the ones I had the other night... about to break ... one is bending slightly in the middle.

I love the Vic Firth Buddy Rich model, they are durable, cool tapered end, and most are perfectly straight - no warpage.

Sounds like with Vic Firth, I didn't know what I was missing. I suppose I will be purchasing Vic Firth on my next music shop adventure. No warpage - that's a good thing for sure.

Vic Firth - 5A or 5B (depending on the music) nylon tip

I also use the Omar Hakim signature series

"I love the Vic Firth Buddy Rich model, they are durable, cool tapered end, and most are perfectly straight - no warpage."

That's actually my favorite thing about Vic Firth sticks. A stick of the same length and width and wood made by 2 different companies will sound more or less identical, but things like the quality control do vary between brands.

Also, I own a couple pairs of Pro Mark Hot Rods, which I really like playing with, and I've seen a lighter version (cool rods) and a heavier version (thunder rods) of this type of stick. Has anyone tried those?

I've used the Hot Rods & the Cool Rods - but not the Thunder Rods.

I prefer the Hot Rods to the Cool Rods.

A pair of Hot Rods got me a summer gig a few years ago. I was subbing at a "supper club" gig and we really needed to keep the levels way low.

So I pull out some Hot Rods - the band leader had never seen (or heard anything like that) - he was so impressed with my ability to keep the drum volume low enough, he offered me the gig for the entire summer $100 per night - every Fri & Sat for 4 months.

I always keep a pair in my bag!!!!

Back