which MXL is like a TLM 103?

maddrummer said:
I heard that one of the $80 MXL mics are very similar in design and sound to the TLM 103. Just curious to know if this is a general veiw or not and which MXL it is. Thanks

The Marshall mxl 2003 and/or V93 sounds a lot like a TLM103.

I don't particularly like the sound of either, btw.

Dot said:

Dan, with all respect, but I haven't read so much crap in a long time.

The guy says the V69 sounds a whole lot better than the M149.
Well, it could have been a bad M149, but I doubt that.

He doesn't know what tube is in the Neumann, can be found all over the net (the 6111 triode) and a little further he says that the V77 sound a lot better than the V69.

Now that's very funny, because the V77 sounds really close to the M149, very neatral.

He also says the M149 is based on the U47, which isn't correct.

And speaking about coloring sound? The V69 has a colored sound.

Nevertheless the V69 is a very nice mic, but better sounding that a M149? c'mon!!

I did listen to the MP3's and IMHO the sound of the M149 fragment sounds much more balanced and less hyped than the V69 fragment.

Now Dan, why did you post this? I mean, what's the point?

Peace, Han

Richard Monroe said:
I wonder which Volkswagon is most like a Ferrari?-Richie

OK, let's see how this goes:

Advertisement:

Looking for a serious race car driver. Must have wins under your belt. Serious race team needs a world class driver to drive a Volkswagon. Our car looks just like a Ferrari.

Hehehe............

Driver calls "Hello, does that VW DRIVE like a Ferrari? Hello? Hello?" I think he hung up on me.

Han said:
...I did listen to the MP3's and IMHO the sound of the M149 fragment sounds much more balanced and less hyped than the V69 fragment.

Now Dan, why did you post this? I mean, what's the point?...
Well, I agree in that MHO of what an acoustic guitar should sound like doesn’t line up with dm-gremlin’s, but I DO appreciate him posting the clips!. Most Neumann LDCs (TLM-103 not included) seem to have that “airy”, smooth 3-D sound where Chinese mics are more 1-D and sort of “in your face”. In other words, there’s a lot more going on here than EQ.

In this example the V69 and M149 clips are no exception to the rule. Unfortunately for me, I prefer the M149 on acoustic guitar hands down.

BTW, if the MXL V77 gets anywhere close to the M149’s smooth, 3-D sound for $300 -$400, please let me know and I’m THERE, baby! :D

Han –
Dan’s probably just pointing out where we can hear examples of those two mics.

acorec said:
OK, let's see how this goes:

Advertisement:

Looking for a serious race car driver. Must have wins under your belt. Serious race team needs a world class driver to drive a Volkswagon. Our car looks just like a Ferrari.

Hehehe............

Driver calls "Hello, does that VW DRIVE like a Ferrari? Hello? Hello?" I think he hung up on me.

Let's see, the W12's top speed is 217 MPH, with 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. In this VW I wouldn't be too worried about Ferraris.

Flatpicker said:
BTW, if the MXL V77 gets anywhere close to the M149’s smooth, 3-D sound for $300 -$400, please let me know and I’m THERE, baby! :D

Han –
Dan’s probably just pointing out where we can hear examples of those two mics.

Yep, I guess you're right about Dan, I was a bit harsh, sorry about that Dan!

And the V77, well, it ain't a Neumann, but it sure comes close to the German sound. I prefer it over the TLM103 for many occasions.

Peace, Han

Sorry for the off-topic VW posts...

I listened to the samples from the M149 and V69. To my ears, the Neumann has a more balanced overall sound. The V69 exhibits a fair amount of treble boost like many of the Chinese condensers.

A recording engineer friend of mine once told me that "the Neumann sound is in the mids", meaning that the midrange body is what sets them apart from other microphones.

I have an MXL V77S, V67G, 603S, and 2003. They are nice mics for the money. I find my V77S to be really bright sounding compared to the V67G and 2003 (my 2003 sounds quite dark, which seems odd given that most people describe it as rather bright). The V77S does have a nice sheen to it, with some serious sub 100 Hz low end, making it IMO the closest MXL to the TLM 103.

--

kevin

http://www.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca/~ab752
(my own home page.... imagine that!)

12bass said:
A recording engineer friend of mine once told me that "the Neumann sound is in the mids", meaning that the midrange body is what sets them apart from other microphones.

That's probably a pretty good assesment.

I happen to think the same way about B.L.U.E. mics. They pretty much own the midrange.

Richard Monroe said:
I wonder which Volkswagon is most like a Ferrari?-Richie

Is that supposed to insult me? I didn't say I believed him about the mic, I just wanted to know which one it was. Thanks for the replies.

Rich- what kind of work do you do near Boston?

Actually Mad, I'm a Registered Nurse and an archery coach, and no, when I insult someone, it's lots more obvious than that. But frankly the comparison of an MXL to a Neumann is pretty laughable.-Richie

Actually Mad, I'm a Registered Nurse and an archery coach, and no, when I insult someone, it's lots more obvious than that. But frankly the comparison of an MXL to a Neumann is pretty laughable.-Richie

Well, it wasn't a real Neumann after all, just a TLM103...:D

(I know, I know what you're thinking... stop wasting time on these damn bulletin boards and mix those damn songs ...)

Congrrats, LD, if you ever give up music, there's a future for you as a certified psychic! LOL And yeah, a TLM103 is more of a BMW, and a two-seater at that.- Richie

Congrrats, LD, if you ever give up music, there's a future for you as a certified psychic! LOL And yeah, a TLM103 is more of a BMW, and a two-seater at that.- Richie

12bass said:
Let's see, the W12's top speed is 217 MPH, with 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. In this VW I wouldn't be too worried about Ferraris.

Let's see, Ferrari GT565

Bore & stroke 3.54 x 3.09 in

Unit displacement 499.75 cc

Total displacement 5997 cc

Compression ratio 12.9:1

Maximum power 444.67 kW (596.53 bhp) at 6,300 rpm

Maximum torque 730 Nm at 5,200 rpm

~600 HP. Well over 219MPH. By by VW

TLM103 Lowest self noise of any mic out there, great sounding and very versitile. By by MXL.

Back