Which is better? Shure SM58 or Behringer B5?

Will the "which is better" threads never stop??? You can't ask "which is better", since it depends entirely upon the very specific voice that you are recording at that time. Some people would sound better through the B5. My voice would sound like crap through it and would be much better served by the sm58.

One is not "better" than the other. They are entirely different.

MrAriel said:
I want to buy the sm58 and get the behringer b5... which is better for studio recording? (vocal)

Didn't you just say you already had the 58?!

Mark7 said:
Two completely different mics. Can't you have both? :confused:

No. If you buy the behringer b5, you HAVE to stop using the SM58! That's just the way it is! :D

I would go for large capsule mic before getting b-5. ecspecially if vocals (singing) is your main concern.

I would go for large capsule mic before getting b-5. ecspecially if vocals (singing) is your main concern.

Yeah, I agree. I would get the Behringer B-1 if you want to use it for vocals. The B-5 is more of an instrument mic.

As far as SM58 vs. a Behringer, who knows?

Me personally, I would get the Behringer B-1 for studio vocals and the SM58 for live vocals, though it totally depends on what type of voice you want to record.

MrAriel said:
I have right now a shure sm58 in my little home studio... im going to buy a behringer b5... should i buy the behringer b5 or stay with sm58?
Those are totally two different kinds of mics... (dynamic vs condenser) so I guess it depends on what you will be using it for. The B5 is Behringer's attempt to copy/clone/compete with the Studio Projects C4... both mics are made at the 797 Audio factory in China (no honor). The Shure SM58 is very close to the SM57... but, I like the SM57 better.

did you know that it's been proved in clinical studies that people prefer mics that are phallic shaped? hence you like the 57 even though it's the same mike(pun intended)

Clinical studies... lol.

They're not the same... the SM58 has the ball and the SM57 doesn't... thus changing the pickup patterns and etc. I like the SM57 better.

I agree that if you're wanting something to record vocals then you're far more likely to have joy with an LDC than an SDC.

If you're wanting one for live AND the studio, then I would suggest the Shure Beta 57 or the Audio Technica AE3300 (same capsule as the AT4033). I love the Sennheiser E series live, but they don't give me joy on tape. :)

my two cents;

you can beat someone to death with a sure sm58
and i think the behringer b5 will fall apart after a while just by itsself

i'd rather get me a "better preamp" or compressor to stick the sm58 in instead of downgrading to berrie stuff

but hey, that only me thinking out loud :rolleyes:

ps, about the sennheiser E-series, i love my 602 on kick,
kicks several other kickmics i used in the ass...nice machine !! but don't know about vocal mics in that serie...

58 is built better and sounds better than the b5. test them out and see for yourself.

there's no such thing as a better mic? well..... when one consistently outperforms another, i consider it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisedude
I agree that if you're wanting something to record vocals then you're far more likely to have joy with an LDC than an SDC.

DJL said:
Why is that?

Sometimes a LDC is the worst choice... I've gotten good vocal results from LDC, SDC, and dynamic mics... so I'm curious why you think "I agree that if you're wanting something to record vocals then you're far more likely to have joy with an LDC than an SDC."?

Back