Which desktop package to purchase ?

aloshan

Hi Guys

So Ive read the faq , I know there isnt a specific mic for "rapping" as such, but wanted to know which would be better for me.

I have a laptop with no mic in port , just usb. I am planning on using Virtual DJ Pro to record or mix. I'm doing this purely for fun and am not looking for perfect vocals.

The first one is in my home country (Australia) :

ISK BM 600 Condenser Microphone Desktop Recording Package | eBay

The second one is sold in America but less then half of the one above. Any idea why this is so cheap? Samson seems to be a reputable brand(more so then the Chinese iSK) Does this have everything to plug in and start recording vocals?

Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone Bundle W POP Filter Headphones 410000151877 | eBay

Samson Package @ $106

- C01U Microphone,
- Pop Filter,
- Headphones,
- Desktop Stand,
- Mic Clip,
- USB Cable

iSC Package @ $250

- 1x BM-600 microphone
- 1x SMP-2 shock mount + pop filter
- 1x HP-580 headphones
- 1x UC200 USB to XLR adapter
- 1x 5m XLR cable
- 1x SKSD063 gooseneck mic stand

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
I have no experience with either of the mic kits there but to answer your other question. You need the headphones so you can listen to the music while you rap. You don't want the mic picking up the music in the background. If you were to leave the vocal unedited/mixed it would probably be ok but as soon as you start messing with the sound in the vocal, it will mess with all the sounds that it picked up from the music playing and you will start hearing strange and crappy stuff.

I have no experience with either of the mic kits there but to answer your other question. You need the headphones so you can listen to the music while you rap. You don't want the mic picking up the music in the background. If you were to leave the vocal unedited/mixed it would probably be ok but as soon as you start messing with the sound in the vocal, it will mess with all the sounds that it picked up from the music playing and you will start hearing strange and crappy stuff.

Doh! Makes sense...think I'm over complicating things. In short I need headphones... so the $99 iSK option without headphone are out.

Now its between the $110 Samson setup from America and the $250 iSK setup locally.

I personally am not a fan of those XLR to usb in line adapter things personally but I can't say that it's a bad product as I don't know it.

What is your budget?

I personally am not a fan of those XLR to usb in line adapter things personally but I can't say that it's a bad product as I don't know it.

What is your budget?

I know that expecting to get an decent quality from a bad sound card and usb mic in a bedroom is just not possible. This is purely for fun to record some rap vocals over a beat...thats it...so my budget is about $150 ...didnt think I could get headphones , mic , pop filter and desktop stand for $150 anyway...until I saw the samson one I listed

Yeah.. As long as you know ahead of time you're not paying for quality and not expecting it, I don't see a problem.

I did the same thing when I started, I got a cheap mbox and an AT 2035. I think the interface was $100 and the mic was $150. It took about 2 weeks before I was complaining about the quality not being good enough.

Does anyone have any other advice of whether I should go for the Samson deal for about $106? (aus dollars) or is it worth paying twice as much for the ISC one?

Samson Package @ $106

- C01U Microphone,
- Pop Filter,
- Headphones,
- Desktop Stand,
- Mic Clip,
- USB Cable

iSC Package @ $250

- 1x BM-600 microphone
- 1x HP-580 headphones
- 1x 5m XLR cable

Only difference I see is the UC200 usb to XLR adapter and 5m XLR cable. What are these used for? How is this different from a normal usb cable and the Samson that doesnt have this?

I found this virtually first hit..
Steinberg UR22 Audio/Midi USB Interface - Musos Corner - Buy Online and SAVE

A superb AI for the money. AND it gets you Cubase. Ok, so that only leaves you $30 for the rest of the kit but a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s creams that leaving you with nowt!...But! for another $30 or so you can surely pickup a cheap dynamic mic and set to learning the ropes, staying in, saving money.

In any case, the right mic for YOU can take some time to find.

The interface is the heart of any computer recording system and unless you just want to put out podcasts, way to go.

Dave.

I found this virtually first hit..
Steinberg UR22 Audio/Midi USB Interface - Musos Corner - Buy Online and SAVE

A superb AI for the money. AND it gets you Cubase. Ok, so that only leaves you $30 for the rest of the kit but a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s creams that leaving you with nowt!...But! for another $30 or so you can surely pickup a cheap dynamic mic and set to learning the ropes, staying in, saving money.

In any case, the right mic for YOU can take some time to find.

The interface is the heart of any computer recording system and unless you just want to put out podcasts, way to go.

Dave.

Thanks for the advice will have a look...but I dont even know what this is for...its a completely amaeuteur setup...

to reiterate my last question

Samson Package @ $106

- C01U Microphone,
- Pop Filter,
- Headphones,
- Desktop Stand,
- Mic Clip,
- USB Cable

iSC Package @ $250

- 1x BM-600 microphone
- 1x HP-580 headphones
- 1x 5m XLR cable

Only difference I see is the UC200 usb to XLR adapter and 5m XLR cable. What are these used for? How is this different from a normal usb cable and the Samson that doesnt have this?

Have a google and see if you can find a home-recording-basics website.
These guys are giving sound advice but I don't think it's landing! ;)

Bottom line - Mics output analog signals. Computers expect digital ones. Something in between has to carry out the necessary conversions.
USB mics have this interface built in, usually with some degree of compromise.

'Normal' mics require some kind of external audio interface.
The steinberg mentioned above is a decent example.
An XLR to USB "adapter" is technically an audio interface, but has no gain control or other functionality.

If you genuinely are just doing this for a bit of fun, any USB mic should be fine.

Have a google and see if you can find a home-recording-basics website.
These guys are giving sound advice but I don't think it's landing! ;)

Bottom line - Mics output analog signals. Computers expect digital ones. Something in between has to carry out the necessary conversions.
USB mics have this interface built in, usually with some degree of compromise.

'Normal' mics require some kind of external audio interface.
The steinberg mentioned above is a decent example.
An XLR to USB "adapter" is technically an audio interface, but has no gain control or other functionality.

If you genuinely are just doing this for a bit of fun, any USB mic should be fine.

Understood.Its sunk in. Thanks for the info guys , i know this has been asked many times before. thanks for your patience with a newbie

Back