which amp?

zwardlaw

i just have a question on which amp i should get if i am going to get a bigger amp. First of all, what is the difference between say, a tube amp and one that doesnt have tubes? and should i get a combo amp or like a halfstack? whats the difference in sound and quality?

thanks

You should probably provide several more details, as this is a huge question.

Things like:

What type of music do you play?

Will this be a practice amp, gigging amp, or both?

How much versatility do you need?

How much do want to spend?

What FB said. Also,

-how large venues do you generally play?
-what kind of music do you play?
-Do you have a car, and if so what sort?
-how volume sensitive are your neighbors?

There's a whole slew of other questions of the sort you'd want to get into before we even make the move from generalities and start talking about specific tones.

my opinion...

I recommend the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (1x12)
Here's why:
First off, I am a tone FREAK and I have suffered too long from the use of cheap practice/gig amps. I finally decided to end my misery one day by purchasing an amp that will last me a lifetime.

That said, If you are looking for a hard rock/metal amp. this isn't for you.

The Hot Rod deluxe houses 40 tube watts and a 12 inch speaker. Even though 40 watts doesn't sound like much, it is as much as you need. (it blows my 160 watt (2x12) fender out of the water!) As far as gigging goes, it will over power anything in the bar (including drums if you want to!) It is a tube amp so the louder the better.

since it has only one speaker it is fairly small and pretty light as amps go (45 lbs.) so it is very portable and doesn't take up too much room in the house.

it features three channels (clean, drive, more drive) and spring reverb to die for.

They run for about $700 brand new but i got mine on ebay for under $500.

I've played out of a lot of amps and the hot rod deluxe is number one in my book. it's the best selling amplifier that fender ever made for a reason!

I think you need to do a LOT of reading before you decide to purchase an amp. You don't seem to be very knowledgeable about the difference between tube amps and solid state ones and stacks vs. combos. Read people's posts, go to a music shop and play as many amps as you can. Educate yourself before you start relying on other people to make your decision for you.

Here's why:
First off, I am a tone FREAK and I have suffered too long from the use of cheap practice/gig amps. I finally decided to end my misery one day by purchasing an amp that will last me a lifetime.

The Hot Rod deluxe houses 40 tube watts and a 12 inch speaker. Even though 40 watts doesn't sound like much, it is as much as you need. (it blows my 160 watt (2x12) fender out of the water!) As far as gigging goes, it will over power anything in the bar (including drums if you want to!) It is a tube amp so the louder the better.

since it has only one speaker it is fairly small and pretty light as amps go (45 lbs.) so it is very portable and doesn't take up too much room in the house.

it features three channels (clean, drive, more drive) and spring reverb to die for.

I've played out of a lot of amps and the hot rod deluxe is number one in my book. it's the best selling amplifier that fender ever made for a reason!

It's very interesting how, out of all the amps in the world, you came to recommend this one even though you have no clue whatsoever as to what the original poster is looking for. It's cool that you like your amp but it's hardly for everyone. I for one do not like that particular amp. I've heard much better amps for the same or less money.

jonnyc,
first let me say that i was only giving my opinion on an amp that i have personal experience with. next time, instead of trying to be helpful, i will be sure to be more vague and suggest reading and homework assignments.

zwardlaw,
i apologize for offering advice when i "had no clue whatsoever as to what you were looking for."
tube amps tend to have a warmer sound but they can also be a little pricy. they also require a small amount of maintenance to keep them sounding their best. Solid state amps tend to have more effects and sound options if thats what you're in to.
as far as the combo vs. half-stack question goes, it really depends on how loud you need to be. a combo amp usually has one or two speakers as opposed to a half stack which has four speakers and a separate head that holds the amp. The half stack will be louder but they can be a real hassle in transportation. If you're not trying to fill a stadium, half stacks can be over the top.
As far as the difference in sound and quality goes, it all comes down to how much money you are wanting to spend. Both combo amps and half-stacks can be good sounding equipment. There is a lot of great gear out there but it all has a price tag. in his rant, jonnyc made one good suggestion: Go to a music store and spend the day playing on different styles of amps and see which one you prefer. once you find something that works for you, save yourself some cash and buy it used.

No Foul, Good Advice

Here's why:

It's very interesting how, out of all the amps in the world, you came to recommend this one even though you have no clue whatsoever as to what the original poster is looking for. It's cool that you like your amp but it's hardly for everyone. I for one do not like that particular amp. I've heard much better amps for the same or less money.

Go for the Hot Rod Delux, no brainer! Unless you can get an old Bassman (like ME!) you'll never find another compact tube amp with the tone and volume.

Go for the Hot Rod Delux, no brainer! Unless you can get an old Bassman (like ME!) you'll never find another compact tube amp with the tone and volume.

I had a Hot Rod Deluxe. Grew to hate it. The Hot Rod Deluxe is a GREAT amp, just not for me. It just doesn't suit my playing style. Tone is personal.

I am very glad that no other amps sound like Fender amps. If all the other amps had Fenders tone and quality, my tonequest would never end.....

If you try a Fender and you love it and cant live without it, then save your money and buy a Rivera instead. The Fender sound everybody raves about is actually the Rivera sound. Rivera took that sound with him when he left Fender and started his own company.

You will truly be one of a kind if the first amp you buy is also the amp you stick with the rest of your life. Nobody has ever gotten that lucky on the first amp purchase. Brace yourself......

Just dont discount the notion of saving your money for a better amp so you dont blow more money on lesser amps that end up not satisfying your tone appetite. I had a chance to buy a Mesa 20 years ago and I passed because it was double the price of the one I could afford. Then I spent 20 years cycling thru thousands of dollars worth of amps......and I ended up with a Mesa. If I woulda saved more money in the first place and bought the Mesa in the first place, I would probably have any extra 10 or 20 thousand dollars in my pocket right now.

Back