Where to use Shure SM58's in the studio

hand in glove

Hey Guys,

I was lucky enough to pick up a shure SM58 for around $40 used and works great. Anyway just wondering, i'm more of a studio person than live, so i just bought this mic because it was cheap... What luck have people had with this mic in a recording situation?

Similar to a SM57

Hi,

The SM58 is similar to the SM57. Same cartridge with a pop filter added and a different shape.

Unscrew the ball and it should work very much like an SM57 often used for snare drums and guitar cabinets as well as vocals.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I usually use them to hold paper in place, and to shim up a desk if it has a wobbly leg.

But seriously, they work great as cab mics and snare mics without the filter(just to support a previous opinion). Also, sometimes it does the trick for vocals when you can;t find a good sound out of your normal vocal mics.

Punk vocals seem to come out nice with a 58.

Simon

Yeah i checked out the patterns on the shure site, they look identical as you said with frequency response. Cheers guys.

myhatbroke said:
SM57 is a cardiod unidirectional mic. 58 has a circular pattern.
Wrong. There essentially the same mic. The 58 haas a built in wind screen to help with plosives. I'd use one where ever I'd try a 57 or any dynamic mic.

The SM58 makes a nice blunt object. With two of them, a cheap 3 foot cord, and an appropriate adapter, you can make a wonderful set of nunchakus out of them. Great for parties.

The SM58 also works very well as a hammer for repairing nails that pop out of your studio wall, particularly in tight places where a full sized hammer is impractical. You can also use the windscreen as a sanding disk.

Finally, the SM58 makes a good microphone to have around in a studio as a loaner. Let's face it, people who know that you have a studio will always ask you for a microphone when they have a gig or whatever. Having a couple of SM58 mics can be great for this. No matter what they do to them, they will still be usable nunchakus, so it really doesn't matter if they get stepped on, dropped, kicked, peed on by the neighbor's cat, or shoved up the backside of uncle Phil after he got a little too rowdy with your friend's teenage daughter. And it's not like the sound could get much worse. :D

The SM58 and SM57 are very similar in design. You are right, you can unscrew the grill on a 58 to get it closer to a source (i.e. drums). However, if you look closely out the FQ response of the two mics, you will see a slight difference in the high end. There is a dip in the 58 around 7kHz - 8kHz. This is ideal for stage settings where the mic is used for the singer, and feedback is a concern, and bleed from other things on stage around 8kHz (i.e. high-hats). Also, silbence is an issue around that FQ. The 57 has more of a response around there to pick up the neuances of instruments.

Use it where it sounds good. It all depends on your ears and the sound you are looking for.

jimmy2sticks said:
Also, silbence is an issue around that FQ. The 57 has more of a response around there to pick up the neuances of instruments.

Apparently jimmy2sticks has an issue around the English language too.

And I don't think the 57 actually goes around picking up instruments, that would be crazy! Maybe it should though...

RAK said:
Apparently jimmy2sticks has an issue around the English language too.

And I don't think the 57 actually goes around picking up instruments, that would be crazy! Maybe it should though...

I hate you. Einstein had a problem with spelling too. And what is that comment about the the 57 not going around picking up instruments? We all know what pick up means you ass.

jimmy2sticks said:
I hate you. Einstein had a problem with spelling too. And what is that comment about the the 57 not going around picking up instruments? We all know what pick up means you ass.

You're right, you are smarter than Einstein. I see your point now.

In this big crazy mixed up world of ours, does anybody really know what pick up means anymore?

RAK said:
You're right, you are smarter than Einstein. I see your point now.

In this big crazy mixed up world of ours, does anybody really know what pick up means anymore?

I didn't say anything about being smarter than Einstein. Not even close. I was pointing out that he had problems with spelling. It is just like you to twist words. You have been pulling this stuff for 25 + years now. I have had about enough.

And to "pick up" on this board is in reference to audio. I know you are a lady's man, always "picking up" girls and breaking hearts, but come on, leave that to the other boards you frequent. This is all about audio. Keep it in your pants.

jimmy2sticks said:
I didn't say anything about being smarter than Einstein. Not even close. I was pointing out that he had problems with spelling. It is just like you to twist words. You have been pulling this stuff for 25 + years now. I have had about enough.

And to "pick up" on this board is in reference to audio. I know you are a lady's man, always "picking up" girls and breaking hearts, but come on, leave that to the other boards you frequent. This is all about audio. Keep it in your pants.

25+ years eh? Joke's on you, I'm only 24. That must be why you're cooler than I am, being 25 and all.

Audio eh? I never thought about that. I guess you're right.
And let's not get into who's frequenting what, or picking up whom.

And finally, to whoever gave me negative feedback for my earlier post, take a look at the subtext under my name, and under jimmy2stick's name, and our location, and you might realize that we're just having a little fun with each other. Of course he never said anything about being smarter than Einstein, that was the joke.

RAK said:
And finally, to whoever gave me negative feedback for my earlier post, take a look at the subtext under my name, and under jimmy2stick's name, and our location, and you might realize that we're just having a little fun with each other. Of course he never said anything about being smarter than Einstein, that was the joke.

It's true. RAK and I sit very close to eachother here at Shure. We are good friends, and we are just playing with one and other. If you see us harping, it's because we have to give each other a hard time so we have something to talk about at lunch.

For the record, I am smarter than Einstein.

Back