When should I master??? please help

After the mixing process is finished, the mastering process adds the final polish....

Just don't expect to get commercial-sounding results from home-mastering...

Bruce

Nah...that guy didn't mention T-Racks did he? I mean, you can't use "mastering" and "T-Racks" in the same sentence can you?

"butchering audio" and "T-Racks"? Sure....I think my highschool english teacher would allow that in the same sentence....:D

Errrrrrrrrrrr, Bruce, ummmmmmmmm, I master at home. Wasn't all that long ago that a client gave me all this money for doing a mastering job for them. Errrrrrrrrr, it got some radio play. Was that all my imagination? :D

Eddie

ed,

did you use t-racks? :-) :-)

lol!

hey bruce,

as long as you know exactly what you're doing, and you didn't mix the track yourself, i think you could do a great job at home, using some good tools. i think "dont know what you're doing" mastering is a better term than "home mastering".

ed, i think we should direct xBod to our previous rant on t-racks and wavelab! :-)

Bob Ludwig Masters at home....I believe there is a Army Surplus Cot under the client listening couch!

I master at home too, if my wife catches me and I might have to borrow bobs cot!

Sorry, I heard T-Racks and just had to post something.

Peace,
Dennis

Errrrrrrrr, ummmmm, uhhhhhhhhh, I also MIXED that clients CD.

I guess it didn't turn out so well. ;)

I agree. There is the "ah shit, that is LOUDER now" type of mastering (here a lot of that in the Clinic), and there is the "dang, that actually helped enhance the sound is a good way" type of mastering.

Shit, I would be dangerous with some cool Manely, GML, Cranesong, Lucid stuff going to Sonic Solutions!!!! :) Maybe one day....:(

Eddie

Ed,

i choose not to master any of the stuff ive mixed. but, then again, i guess if you have a lot of money waved in your face...hehe.

if it's a big project, i send them to a good mastering house. if it's not a big thing, and it's a low budget thing, then sure, ill master it. what was the project you did this for ed?

ed, you still didin't answer my question...did you use t-racks??:-)

I mixed and mastered this CD for probably about what you charge PER DAY!!! I spent almost a week on it....:( It was picked up by a small independent label a year after it's release! :) At least it got some killer reviews!

I agree. If I had a client that could afford it, I would master on my own. There are people who's ears I would value very much in that type of production. They would be sort of covering my back you know? ;)

I only posted it to show that you CAN master at home, with software, and still come out with pretty nice results. Even, eek!!! "professional" or "commercial grade" results, IF, you have a little idea of what the heck you are doing.

Now that is a big subject eh? HOW do you make mastering decisions? HOW do you know just what to apply, and when enough is enough. It is certainly obvious that anybody using T-Racks is NOT ready for that kind of discussion about mastering. They need to get over the "gee whiz, that is louder!!!" phase before we can talk tools!

I should whip up some "mastering" in T-Sucks...errrrr, I mean T-Racks and then something in Wavelab with some Waves plugin's. Of course, I elect to use QMetric as the EQ!!! :D It would only be fair for me to do it with two different songs. Once, "mastering" in T-Racks first, then with Wavelab and Waves. Then the other song the other way around. It would be just to show that no matter how you stack it up, Wavelab and plugin's would win.

I think it is time for that kind of comparison since a rather large T-Racks fan base exists here. People need to hear it for themselves what the POTENTIAL of the two different products are.

To make it really fair, I need to do a Wavelab ONLY mastering, just using it's included tools, no other plugin's.

Eddie

hehe, go for it dude. i cant wait to hear the t-racks stuff. as for wavelab, i know that its capable of some good stuff...in the right hands.

in the right hands and....

...with a decent mix. There are some mixes you just can't fix with any tools out there...

I'm also interested in this "box" vs "plugin" comparison! You gunna put up a post Ed?

atomictoyz said:
Bob Ludwig Masters at home....I believe there is a Army Surplus Cot under the client listening couch!

I master at home too, if my wife catches me and I might have to borrow bobs cot!

Sorry, I heard T-Racks and just had to post something.

Peace,
Dennis

Speaking of Bob Ludwig, have you heard "return of saturn" by no doubt? that's gotta be one of the worst mastering jobs i've heard in a while. He probably did it with t-racks.

Blue Bear Sound said:
After the mixing process is finished, the mastering process adds the final polish....

Just don't expect to get commercial-sounding results from home-mastering...

Bruce

http://www.rodneymills.com

beware...flash pages. But..no one has yet to acknowledge the link I put up in another post.

This guy proves ya wrong (but I understand what you really meant by "home"-mastering....even though he is out of his home). check the credits...

mixmkr said:

http://www.rodneymills.com

beware...flash pages. But..no one has yet to acknowledge the link I put up in another post.

This guy proves ya wrong (but I understand what you really meant by "home"-mastering....even though he is out of his home). check the credits...

That's mastering? Is that really all it takes? A neve compressor, some digital eq's, avalon tube eq, etc. Well shit...I'm gonna get me some of this gear and put Mr. Rodney out of Biznatch.

You guys are killing me....!!!

AND YOU ALL KNEW what was meant by "home-mastering"... so don't give me any fuckin' grief!!!! :eek: ;)

!!!

:D :D

Bruce

Sure ...

With "home-mastering" your hand kinda looks like the above hand pic...

Mastering suggestions

I used MasterMix in Nashville on my first project, but
it cost me both arms and legs in cost. The work was
exceptional however. Any other reccomendations for
mastering studios ?

Thanks
Chuck

Back