What's your favorite "bridge" in a song?

Cheeky Monkey

There are many songs that have memorable bridges, but some even seem to stand-out over the chorus, and even become the hook. What's your favorite "bridge" in a song?

I'm sure more will come to mind, but I happened to be playing Under The Boardwalk by the Drifters tonight, and the section coined as the bridge is one of my favorites.

Under the boardwalk
Down by the sea, yeah, yeah, yeah
Ona blanket with my baby
Is where I'll be

On yeah...

peopleperson said:
Off the top of my head, The Beatles We can Work it out.

the "life is very short..." part
OH yeah, nice one! I like this question, but sadly can't think of a damn thing off the top of my head. I'll have to come back to this one.

The first things that came to my head upon reading bridge were Better Than Ezra's "Desperately Wanting" and Thrice's "Stare at the Sun."

I guess that means they're the most memorable to me.

The first things that came to my head upon reading bridge were Better Than Ezra's "Desperately Wanting" and Thrice's "Stare at the Sun."

This may be too mainstream for you guys, but Coldplay's "Clocks" has an excellent bridge. It's plowing along with that piano riff, and then it suddenly breaks into this epic "And nothing else compares....." I think it's just magical.

azraelswings said:

Damn, I forgot about that Better Than Ezra tune. I can't remember the bridge off the top of my head, but the song is great.

I like it in Imagine when Lennon goes to "You may say I'm a dreamer...", nothing too complex, but very memorable in my books.

Listened to Revolver (beatles) last nite. I really like the bridge in Doctor Robert. "Well well well you're feeling fine" part. Man that's a tricky one to sing too.

my favorite bridge is in motley crue's "fake". i listen to that song only for the bridge.

and the "it's only rock&roll" bridge.

Skin the sun
Fall asleep
Wish away
The soul is cheap
Lesson learned
Wish me luck
Soothe the burn
Wake me up

(Dumb by Nirvana)

alot of incubus's songs have some pretty sweet bridges. those musicians have some rare under appreciated talent in todays rock world.

Two great bridges:

Dylan's "Just like a woman,"

The part that goes, "it was raining from the first..."

Also:

Harold Arlen's "Stormy Weather"

The part that goes, "I walk around heavy hearted and sad..."

"Someday you might want to run away,
And leave me sitting here to cry,
But if it's all the same to you, Baby,
I'm gonna stop you from saying,'Goodbye'"

Aretha Franklin
'Baby I love You'