What's a Harmony Archtop worth?

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Harmony Archtop acoustic guitar, serial number dates it back to 60s/70s.
I've been offered what I think is a good deal, but want to make sure before I go ahead.

What would you pay for it?

Speedy replies appreciated as I'm not the only one wanting to buy this thing.

Mike

Attachments

• harmony.jpg
    harmony.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 145
Check the neck where it joins the body--if there's any separation, it'll need the neck reset, which can be a real pain on some Harmonys (and expensive).

It's worth what it's worth to you...

It's cash value is what it is worth to someone else. I'm afraid not a lot in the case of those. Just enjoy it for what it is if you do swing out for it.

If it's cheap enough, and plays well. Buy it.

I've got an old Harmony. This was given to me after it sat in a closed car during the summertime for a few months. It gets really hot here in Vegas. Hot enough that the hide glue failed. The top, and back were nearly completely separated from the sides. Other than falling apart it was in excellent condition. There was hardly a mark on it or the original hardboard case.

I put it in my friends humidifier for three weeks. It came almost perfectly back into shape by itself. That made the repairs pretty easy. I saved as much of the original finish as I could, and only touched it up with an airbrush around the bindings.

A couple years later I finally got around to doing to it what I had planned originally. It's got new tuners. A re-fret with medium wire. I changed the fretboard radius to 12". Neck mounted mini humbucker. Homegrown pickguard, some old worn looking knobs, and a new gibson style trapeze tailpiece... What's it worth? Not much, but I dig it anyway.

miniinstalled.jpg

Back