What would make a good, economical set up from tape to pc?

Sorry, I actually meant an IMPEDANCE balanced output (old y'know and on meds) see...
impedance balanced output wiring diagram - Google Search

Since you know the source 'impedance' really a physical resistor most likely, you can put the same value in the pin 3 to earthy path.

There are swings and roundabouts to both systems. Pseudo gives good protection from ground loops but can be open to RFI. Impedance balance keeps the screen intact both ends. Would be needed for instance if phantom power was being used.

Transformers give both good ground loop protection and can give the very best RFI protection especially if good quality output traffs are used with 10k bridging transformers at the input end. They will of course be expensive if the very best sound quality is to be preserved.

Dave.

thanks to the balanced outs of the M-512, it is a perfect match to the ICE16D in's.

the issue i am dealing with is the exact opposite - Taking the balanced outs of the ICE16D and getting 'em back to a console that lacks balanced line level inputs.

Do you recommend to use the psuedo-balanced cables, just the other way around?
or taking the balanced line level signals into the mic inputs?

ICE16D MANUAL - https://www.prodance.cz/data/attachments/AllenHeath/AP9216_1_ICE-16D_UserGuide_A5.pdf

M512 Back picture is attached

Attachments

• ezgif.com-webp-to-png.png
    ezgif.com-webp-to-png.png
    400 KB · Views: 9
thanks to the balanced outs of the M-512, it is a perfect match to the ICE16D in's.

the issue i am dealing with is the exact opposite - Taking the balanced outs of the ICE16D and getting 'em back to a console that lacks balanced line level inputs.

Do you recommend to use the psuedo-balanced cables, just the other way around?
or taking the balanced line level signals into the mic inputs?

ICE16D MANUAL - https://www.prodance.cz/data/attachments/AllenHeath/AP9216_1_ICE-16D_UserGuide_A5.pdf

M512 Back picture is attached

Yes, go into the balanced mic inputs but you will need attenuators. Now I have tried to find the input specifications of the mixer but no joy. I need to know the maximum input level it can cope with because you don't want to attenuate so much that the pre amps add noise.

The ICE16D comes out on Dsubs and so you will need Dsub to XLR breakout cables and then a set of XLR attenuators.

Twere me I would make up a box with a flying cable out to a D conn and a Dsub out. Inside the box would be the attenuating resistors which could be chosen to give the best noise/headroom performance.

But then I LOVED building things like that!

Dave.

I have the same question, except I want to be able to send 8 tracks via the tape or pgm buss outs of my 388 to an interface/converter and then to my laptop.

What would be good for that?

Also... Must be Linux compatible.

Back