What will I do when I go to college?

guitarguy101

I just realized that in 2 years, I will be living miles away from home in a tiny dorm room with a grand total of zero storage space. I've decided that I will probably sell my collection of guitars and upgrade to just 1 acoustic and one electric. I already have a killer acoustic guitar, so that's not an issue.
As far as electric guitars go, I have:
1: 2011 Gretsch Electromagnetic (Les Paul copy)
2: 2009 Ibanez AS-73 (Gibson ES 335 copy)
3: 2008 Squier Strat
4: A really nice nylon string made by my local guitar shop ($550 guitar)
If I get 2/3 price for all of these, I'll have around $850. I'll probably sell all my recording stuff as well (I know, tragic) and, assuming 2/3 price, that would earn me anywhere between 300-600. Assuming I can an scrape together a little extra cash in addition to that, what would be one solid electric guitar I can get? New or used. I play so many genres, I need a diverse guitar. Currently, I'm in a reggae band, a punk outfit, and a blue duo. What can I get that will handle all ends of the tonal spectrum? It's hazy at this point, but my budget will be from $1000 at the low end to around $1500 if I get lucky.
If it makes any difference, I am currently using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 45w tube amp. I'll probably upgrade to a Fender Deluxe Reverb in the near future.

Since it will probably get beer spilled on it, barfed on, kicked around and finally stolen from your dorm room I would buy the cheapest guitar that plays well - Squire Strat...

That sucks that you play so many genres!

I only play classical/flamenco which means I carry a very light guitar around with me. :D

You should take what ido says into account. My guitar doesn't get beer spilled on it and kicked around and it won't get stolen from the college I attend. But then again, I go to a really small private college. So I feel really safe carrying an expensive guitar around with me. Going to a party school may be a different story.

Yeah, idol is right. Totally.
Scope Craigslist for a used Squier Strat. Purchase said instrument.
Replace pickups with EMG single coil set (S, SA, SV, SAV) and install AB (AfterBurner) for 20dB of additional gain.
Play anything you want. That set up will do everything well. I use an older version of it on my Strat.

Duh - he's already got a Squier Strat! You will most likely not get 1/2 of what the guitars are worth selling them. If you truly will have no use for them, and are not 'in love with' playing any of them, by all means sell them. You'll only be kicking yourself for doing so in 20-30 years!

Yeah but when you gotta pay rent, or they get stolen, you have no choice as in my case. Wish I had all my old guitars....lol

I don't sell anything I like because I always regret it. If I don't like it I'll sell it in a heartbeat. So, if you like what you have, hang on to them and just bring one to school with you.

You can get by in a lot of genres with just the les paul copy. I'd take that extra cash you can scrap up and get some nice pickups, pots, and capacitors for whatever you're going to take. For $200 you can make a piece of junk into a pretty nice electric.

Don't take anything you are in love with to college. Don't take anything that will break your heart if it get stolen or damaged, because it will. Find someplace safe to store them while you're away.

Duh - he's already got a Squier Strat! You will most likely not get 1/2 of what the guitars are worth selling them. If you truly will have no use for them, and are not 'in love with' playing any of them, by all means sell them. You'll only be kicking yourself for doing so in 20-30 years!
Actually, any decent guitar he'll regret selling 5 minutes after the deal is done.:spank:

Back