What video editing software do you use?

For simple videos Shotcut is working as well. Features are somewhat limited, but it is free, open-source and available for Win, Mac and Linux.

Shotcut has worked for me and so has Da Vinci Resolve, but for most things I tend to use the editing built into Reaper. Most video editing software tends to do things in a slightly different way to audio editing software so I prefer the way that Reaper does things. I think Vegas also works in a similar way to Reaper seeing as it started life as an audio program.

Shotcut has worked for me and so has Da Vinci Resolve, but for most things I tend to use the editing built into Reaper. Most video editing software tends to do things in a slightly different way to audio editing software so I prefer the way that Reaper does things. I think Vegas also works in a similar way to Reaper seeing as it started life as an audio program.
Reaper appears to put just the audio tracks in the timeline. To edit a video track, you have to edit the associated audio track. In Vegas Pro, you have audio and video tracks in the timeline, and you can edit them together or ungroup them to edit them independently. When you edit video in Vegas Pro, you get a direct visual representation of the video clips on the timeline. Also, it has a large number of plugins for video transitions, processing and effects. The way it handles video is very similar to the way it handles audio, so most of the skills you learn for dealing with audio clips transfer directly to dealing with video clips.

1649392757633.png

I use Adobe Premier Pro, and dabble/learning After Effects too. But also Photoshop and Illustrator for graphic elements.

I have the Adobe CC (Creative Cloud), so monthly subscription, but I use it all a lot so worth it for me. They do different packaged with different sets of software, but if you use photoshop, illustrator and premier, its much cheaper to get the full creative cloud. Depends on budget as it can feel a bit held for ransom now a lot of software has gone subscription based. They do update regularly though. So if thats important to you and if Premier is the way for you, its an option. Just not the cheapest.

Bonus with adobe CC is access to fonts and a lot of free stock images, good ones too.

I tried for years to try to get started learning how to fool around with audio and video.

finally? "LINUX"
theres a linux called "A/V linux", its a custom redo of "MX" linux...
you run it LIVE, and its loaded with tons of audio and video software.

I learned to do RANK BASIC video and audio with "Avidemux" (limited, but, great introduction)
then? I had to force myself to learn to use (a little bit anyways) the "Cinelerra GG")

it was like pulling teeth, but, at least I got started in the hobby.

there are 2 or 3 other AV editors that seem advanbced like cinelerra GG, but, I can only teach myself "so much" and am kinda hooked on CIN for now.

its FREE
-----------------------------------
I write my own software, to do rolling titles/end credits. Then... use a screen recorder to get them into an editing software...
I fooled a few people, when I "re-did" the end credits to the movie "shooter" with my own music in place of the original otis redding "bad letter" that was trhemusic for the end credits

If you're looking for a professional-level piece of software, go for DaVinci Resolve. The free version is plenty complicated :-) and you can make a really awesome video with that. Of course if you're doing a 5-figure budget music vid, go for the paid 🙃 but at that point you're probably paying someone to do the editing etc.

You didn't quite get Resolve - It is really good pro software, for free and it is as you say complicated until you get experienced the paid for version just adds even more . The point is that it has many features that work with BlackMagic hardware products. Many people use the advanced features for the colour side of things, as it's bundled with their hardware products. They know that getting people comfy with it probably makes their next hardare upgrades more likely to be BM. I have a couple of their switchers and the integration of all their products makes the editor hard to beat. I've been usuing Premiere for years and am simply quicker on it, but I do have resolve installed

You didn't quite get Resolve - It is really good pro software, for free and it is as you say complicated until you get experienced the paid for version just adds even more . The point is that it has many features that work with BlackMagic hardware products. Many people use the advanced features for the colour side of things, as it's bundled with their hardware products. They know that getting people comfy with it probably makes their next hardare upgrades more likely to be BM. I have a couple of their switchers and the integration of all their products makes the editor hard to beat. I've been usuing Premiere for years and am simply quicker on it, but I do have resolve installed
Yeah sure. But if you're like me -- a nerdy laptop-tweaking video editor who 1) only uses free software and 2) never reads manuals yet still has a decent artistic output -- I say Resolve is the way to go.

I'm not sure how revamped relates to editing software for video?

1. What is ReVanced?​

ReVanced is a modular patcher for apps such as YouTube. This project was born out of Vanced's discontinuation and it is our goal to continue the legacy of what Vanced left.

2. How does ReVanced work?​

ReVanced does not distribute any proprietary file but instead provides open-source patches. Patches can be created for any Android app. The ReVanced Manager will use the patcher as its core to apply patches of your choice on your desired app. On rooted devices, ReVanced can mount the patched app over the original application. On non-rooted devices, ReVanced will install it under a different package name.
Care to explain what this actually means?

It sounds like you've got some experience with Resolve. While I understand that it's a powerful pro software with many features, it can be pretty complicated for the non-pros. I'm all about that free software life, so I appreciate your recommendation for Resolve as a good option for us nerdy laptop-tweaking video editors who just want to make some art. I've personally used this one at https://vidpros.com/what-is-unlimited-video-editing/ for my editing needs, and it's been a great experience. But I'm always open to trying out new software, especially if it's free. And let's be real, who has time to read manuals? We just want to dive in and start creating.

Last edited:
The trouble is that the vast majority of youtube videos now feature material edited on software a little bit better than the free stuff. Resolve isn't complicated, it's just rich in features - and most users will scratch the surface with the features they use. BUT, and it's a very important but, they will all be usuing different ones. Exactly the same as DAWs now - what you want to do almost sets the software. While I use Premiere and Photoshop, I really don't like Audition, which for me, is available and I can use it or not use it. I like Sound Forge - it works for me. I don't like Resolve - because I just don't want to put in the effort. If you edit videos a certain way, then you need an editor that fits you. I often have three or four video tracks, and maybe 5 or 6 audio ones - most chopped up into little segments. Premiere makes making space for an insert less easy if you don't want to mess up the sync. Ripple edit sometimes leaves a few orphan clips in the wrong place. There might even me a fix for this I have not yet discovered, but it annoys. I don't know if Resolve does the same things? If your edits build up a clip at a time, then your needs for an editor are different. If you bring in loads of tracks and sync them, and then need to move them about, it gets more tricky. The typical free video editor can edit in and out points in all of them - but it's when you need less common features they fall down. The trouble is also that you don't even know they can't do something till you try to do it. My video needs are different to other people's - so there isn't a one size fits all solution.

Back