What video editing software do you use?

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I was using Cyberlink Power Director - but it seems to be dragging real bad and when I try to overlap video it keeps crashing... It's version 7 and they are up to version 9 but the upgrade is $50 so I am shopping some new software.

I downloaded the Sony Vegas 11 trial BUT all my video files are coming out of a JVC HDD camcorder and they are .MOD files - I can import them and even preview them in Vegas but they are just black when I add them to the timeline :mad: - Googled a bit and some people suggested renaming them from .mod to .mpg - tried that - same deal - no go.

Sucks - cause the Vegas workspace seemed pretty good. I need a fast program because I do a lot of quick edits.

So what software are you using now? Anyone have any suggestions or no of some good trial software I could test before buying?

i would recommend adobe prem pro. my gf uses it for work and it's so compatible with everything, fast and reliable. i do believe you can get a trial from the adobe website for 30 days. might be a bit pricey though.

Adobe Premier Elements is only $79 (as opposed to like $600 for pro...) but its 1.5 gig download.. maybe I will give it a shot

ive not used elements so i cant give an opinion. but pro if you have the cash is well worth it mate. like i said my misses uses it for work so we got a copy of them and i have to say i have never used anything so versatile

Dont know why you had problems, but I edit .mod video in Sony Vegas Studio all the time for a client.
Just renaming the .mod to .mpeg works for me....

Dont know why you had problems, but I edit .mod video in Sony Vegas Studio all the time for a client.
Just renaming the .mod to .mpeg works for me....

windows or mac? I renamed it to MPG not MPEG - maybe I will try that?

I tried MPEG but it still didnt work - the preview is in the media area - and the audio plays - but the video is just black... - it even shows frames in the timeline =/

Last edited:
Maybe change the extension to .avi instead of .mpg. You normally have to install a third party MPEG codec in Vegas (at least the earlier ones) to read those files, and I bet the trial doesn't come with one.

changing the .mod to avi, mpg, or mpeg are all useless. Same thing - has video but no audio.

Adobe Premier Elements is pretty much consumer grade crap for editing birthday videos.

I'm thinking of just upgrading to Powerdirector 9 - it's native 64-bit and uses the video card GPU
CyberLink PowerDirector 9 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Anyone use Avid Pinnacle or Home Studio?

Well I downloaded the Powerdirector 9 trial and so far its working awesome. I am about to swap out a better video card so I will let you know what happens :p

So i removed the Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT and installedf the Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS because it actually have better specs (and it made video preview play back smoother on my other PC) - but it worked worse :mad: not sure why - but I took it all apart and put the 8500 back in - so hopefully this will be a good combination - I think I am just going to have to update my card - the one I have is like 5 years old...

So i removed the Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT and installedf the Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS because it actually have better specs (and it made video preview play back smoother on my other PC) - but it worked worse :mad: not sure why - but I took it all apart and put the 8500 back in - so hopefully this will be a good combination - I think I am just going to have to update my card - the one I have is like 5 years old...

5 years old! Your lucky to be running pac man Wes. :D

5 years old! Your lucky to be running pac man Wes. :D

Time flies when your having fun. Man this was a smoking video card when I got it :mad: - I have like 4 of them - now they sell for $20 on ebay - I guess I should know by now that technology has a 12 month lifespan...

I got a $25 Bestbuy gift card - I think i will go check out what they got

Well I went and bought a new Nvidia GeForce 550 ti and it acts exactly the same - stuttering crappy preview that doesn't even show the smaller edits - #$%#$%#@^

Ok, I installed the Sony Vegas 11 trial on the machine with the new video card and it works awesome. So finally after much toil and trouble looks like I can start making some award winning videos :p

If you want a user-friendly interface with quick straightforward edits and renders then go with Sony Vegas. In terms of efficiency of just straight up timeline cuts and simple effects it destroys Premiere Pro, Final cut, Pinnacle Studio, iMovie (all the other editing softwares I've tried).

With that said you can do some more complex work in Sony Vegas but it is extremely limited. If really want to go in-depth editing I'd suggest working with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects. Those two programs put together provide enough software-power to edit the next film in the Transformers franchise... Well maybe not.

Haven't used Premiere Elements in quite a while, but when I did, I liked it. I switched to Sony Vegas and haven't looked back. I switched because at the time, it was the only program that could do AVCHD natively. Maybe the others have caught up. Pinnacle stuff is/was a joke.

For the video cards, I just bought a new one that does the Cuda stuff. It's suppose to make the preview much better and aid with rendering. when rendering, it's suppose to relieve some of the processing power from the cpu. Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet, but I do see that my preview window works much better. :)

Music is my passion so i am always looking to new softwares.But right now i am using Sony Vegas 6 for video. It is up to version 9, and it is pretty good.

We've had good experiences with Sony Vegas Studio HD and very bad experiences with Premiere Elements. We also have Ulead 11.5 installed. Vegas feels the best of this bunch.

Back