What style do you play?

Bdrum

I dont know if this has been posted before but,
I would like to know what style you play?,
how many pieces to your kit?
I like the Peart style,not too busy but interesting!
I play a seven (used to be nine) Piece Pearl Export.

Happy Easter! :)

Wow! That's a hard question. For me it would be easier to ask what styles I have played. When I started out, it was a Phil Rudd "4 on the floor" style. Then it went to a Clive Burr "Iron Maiden Style". Then there was the Kiss phase and then HEAVY into Peart and Rush. I learned every song and solo from the first album to about "Grace under Pressure" when I slowly lost interest. After that I migrated into what I call my Chambers/Castronovo/Phillips/Weckl phase.

Different people I've played with have made comparisions from Bonham to Weckyl. I'm still waiting for someone to say I sound like me.

Styles of music I've played range from Striaght Rock to Speed Metal to Funk to Jazz to R&B to Country. If I hadn't burned out a while back I'd probably be some weird hired gun right now. I'm back into it, but feel I'm too old to try and make a go of it again. Besides I have my own business which makes me pretty good bank, but it all goes to taking care of a family. I divert as much as I can to my studio without getting into too much trouble.

I have an 8 peice kit with about 11 cymbals. Tama with mostly Paiste cymbals. I have a ton of cymbals so I swap out alot.

Here's some picks of my kit at our little rehearsal/recording studio

http://www.monkeyworksinc.com/drums/drums.html

Phil

Last edited:
Man what is with everybody having huge kits? (minus primopyro) Whats wrong with a nice four or five piece? Both the drummers I play with have huge kits. They both have big 7 pieces and one of them has three roto toms too. (Does that make it a ten piece? :)) The room we play in is tiny and the drummer takes up well over half of the space we have. This is probably also caused by the fact that he has a rack. There are cool things about the big kits though. It was fun today when I sat down at the kit and played a five tom fill. Well that is enough ranting for now.

There's nothing wrong with 4 or 5 peice kits. By the same token, what's wrong with big kits? Why should I have to feel limited to a small kit? To be creative I want all the voices available to me that are possible. Would you limit a guitarist to 3 strings? Would you limit a keyboardist to one octave? I really get tired of people thinking the drummer should just play a beat and that's all. I'm a musician, dammit! I need to express myself and i'll be damned if I'm going to let trends dictate what I need to have in my setup be the main factor in how I'm going to play. And don't give me that crap about a small kit forces me to be creative, 'cause that's just total B.S.

you're just fine with jeans and a T-shirt, right?

I guess the reason I have a grudge against bigger kits is because the drummer I play with is not really good enough to use a kit that big. He feels that he has to use every drum so he plays way to much and his fills are too long and he doesn't get back to the beat in time. I think it is probably better to start out on a small kit and then add drums as you get better. Right?

Get him a metronome. Record takes with and without the click and let him hear the difference. I don't mean a studio recording, just room mics at practice. That was a real eye opener for me when I first started out.

After he gets used to playing to the click, he can starting practicing solos to it. Then he'll understand how to bring in the rest of the kit properly.

Also, if you're the cheif songwriter you should have every right to say "Hey, the song doesn't really call for all that. Tone it down on the fills." If he has a professional attitude, he'll do it. If not, you can point out how it's not professional to just do what you want without consideration for the finished product. Any good drummer, whether in a band or a session cat, should know when to play what.

Good luck!

I dont like big kits cuz i cant handle them ... I started out on a barrowed 9 piece, essentially 2 of my current kits. Not to mention it wouldent fit everywhere we would play it was massive!

So i knew when i was going to buy my own it would be a 5 peice. When i added my rack though it acually shrunk my drum kits foot print down 35% or so.

modern progressive partially stoner rock (kinda mars volta, fantomas, melvins)

four piece 22, 13, 16, 14x5 steel snare

22" ride, 14 hats, 18"crash/ride inverted over 17" china

i find that the more peices i have on my kit i tend to play the same shit just on diffenet drums... less stuff kinda forces creativity in my case.

This is great

I'm asking this because my friend got me to break down my kit last year to a four piece :cool:
I missed my high tom so I went back to my 8,10,12,13,18.
I got rid of my other 12,& 16.So this is actually smaller :p
I do understand his point of view on a smaller Jazz type of kit,
Especiallly if your gigging,Everybody hates Big kit's :D

Since I was 8 years old I was exposed to the jamming of the rumberos(congas) which took place in the house where I was living In Cuba (every-week),also to the african culture and drumming patterns with my ancestors through research and teaching.Even when I always was aware of afrocuban music,since around late 60's I was following and playing Rock,and Jazz,(ultimately the reason for comming to the U.S.).I've played with Mexican bands,Colombian Bands,Salsa Bands,Raggae Bands,Gospel Music,etc.On the percussion side I have performed with Nigerian,South African,Afrocuban,Guinean,and Samba-Bateria Ensembles,with Ethiopian Bands,and percussionists from,Senegal,Ghana,India,and Brazil.Actually,several projects,Raggae-Fusion Band,..Santana-Tribute Band..My Drumming Ensemble,and Jamming with DJ's when not playing with bands.Gerry Zaragemca

PhilGood said:
There's nothing wrong with 4 or 5 peice kits. By the same token, what's wrong with big kits? Why should I have to feel limited to a small kit? To be creative I want all the voices available to me that are possible. Would you limit a guitarist to 3 strings? Would you limit a keyboardist to one octave? I really get tired of people thinking the drummer should just play a beat and that's all. I'm a musician, dammit! I need to express myself and i'll be damned if I'm going to let trends dictate what I need to have in my setup be the main factor in how I'm going to play. And don't give me that crap about a small kit forces me to be creative, 'cause that's just total B.S.

you're just fine with jeans and a T-shirt, right?

Couldn't have said it better myself...
If we were in a bar I'd buy you a drink...

:D

Edit: Oh my style.... Pretty much whatever the situation calls for... I play with a local jazz/fusion project as well as a 'Power-Folk-Rock' thing...

When it's just me and the headphones, I sit in with old Kansas, plenty of Rush, Yes, and Dream Theater...

:rolleyes:

Wow

BentRabbit said:
Couldn't have said it better myself...
If we were in a bar I'd buy you a drink...

:D

Edit: Oh my style.... Pretty much whatever the situation calls for... I play with a local jazz/fusion project as well as a 'Power-Folk-Rock' thing...

When it's just me and the headphones, I sit in with old Kansas, plenty of Rush, Yes, and Dream Theater...

:rolleyes:

Portnoy and Peart! :)
I love Kansas "Point Of No Return" The toms sound incredible on Lightnings hand and the other overtures.
Yes, I think you and I share the same interest's :p
The Union albulm is the Greatest Albulm ever recorded! BD

Since I freelance, I play whatever style I'm paid to play/record. While the majority of my live work is in the jazz, jazz/pop & bebop styles I also get many calls to play classic rock and country. Most of my recording work is for singer/songwriter demos in a rock/pop vein.

By far I prefer to play bebop!!!

Depending on the gig/session I will use either a 4 piece or a 5 piece kit and supplement my sounds with numerous cymbals, chimes, bells/blocks, etc. On occasion I may take my electronic kit to a session, but that is rare.

I also get calls as a hand percussionist and have a complete set up (conga, bongos, timbales, etc. etc)

I have played a large as a 9 piece kit (1 bass, 7 toms), and have always
thought a 7 piece (1 bass, 5 toms) was ideal - but the trnsportation & set-up gets to be way too time consuming

Symphonic soft rock, some plain old rock, a little swing, a little slow blues here and there.

Kit... 6 piece. Mostly a low-end Ludwig 5-piece kit (with the 6 1/2" snare), but I added a 10" add-on tom from Pulse. For cymbals, a mix of Pulse 357 (14" hats, 16" crash, 18" crash, and 20" ride), Pearl (16" crash and 10" splash) and a Wuhan 14" china cymbal. Needless to say, the 357s get most of the use. The others are mainly used when I want a sound that contrasts with the 357s.

Back