What is this click that just started appearing on my recordings?

Hello audio daddys

This weird noise started appearing on my recordings today. I dicked around with all my cords, unplugging and plugging back in and moving them further away from each other, which is the extent of my troubleshooting knowledge and did nothing to help.

thoughts on what might be causing it? its a real bummer. The clip has been slightly amplified.

For some reason if I go to soundcloud I cannot find it, so I cannot download and normalise it, so I can hear it properly - could you normalise it so the noise is brought up so we can really hear it?

I didn't hear a thing, and double checked that audio is working on my computer. I even cranked up the volume all the way and didn't hear it.

All I heard was a very slight hiss, so I know the file is processing. Can you attach an MP3, so maybe we can look at the file more closely? Perhaps it's in your playback, not the recording.

Hello audio daddys

This weird noise started appearing on my recordings today. I dicked around with all my cords, unplugging and plugging back in and moving them further away from each other, which is the extent of my troubleshooting knowledge and did nothing to help.

thoughts on what might be causing it? its a real bummer. The clip has been slightly amplified.

There is no click on this recording - there is hiss which sounds like a preamp is up to high. What is the format?

I see them. I normalized the peaks to 0 dB and heard them. It's a subtle crackle, just two spikes in the waveform. It sounds a bit like static discharge. Is it particularly dry where you are?

1624675579227.png

Hmm yeah, southern california is pretty dry. Is that a thing? a crackle from dryness? and is there anything I can do about it?
Well, Southern California is a big place. I lived most of my life there, and it depends a lot on where you are. Twentynine Palms is generally pretty dry. Balboa Peninsula, not so much. But even near the coast it can sometimes get somewhat dry. Where I lived just a few miles from the beach, it could sometimes get dry enough to get static shocks after walking across the shag carpet.

[Edit] I should add, there could be other causes.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah, southern california is pretty dry. Is that a thing? a crackle from dryness? and is there anything I can do about it?
Cut it out with your DAW. That section is a 'nothing' part of your recording anyway. If it was in a talkie part you would never hear it.

Can I ask how you found the click at it’s unnormalised level that we can’t hear? Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you appear to be hyper sensitive to things we can’t even hear, let alone consider a fault? I used to tell my students that if you have 48 thousand samples every seconds, it’s amazing they all make it through. The reality is if you have a recording and there is a full scale one bit sample at odB fs, then edit it out, you’ll never notice. A low level spike that can’t be heard is too trivial to waste time searching for. In sound forge that I use to tweak my Cubase mixes, you can search for clipping. Then fix them. Your click would not be found. If that’s a mic, then the click might actually be a real click in the room.

I’m not saying you are wrong, but I am saying that it’s poor use of your skills and time to get anxious over this kind of thing. I never look for faults like this, if I hear them in the mix or on an individual track l fix them, but usually my errors are timing, random levels of notes, pitching and thumps, or breath noises. I’m sure if I looked for single sample clicks I’d find them.

I think we are all very surprised at your posts here. The first audio file that troubles you we couldn’t hear, and then the normalised one is very similar. I think our suggestions about your delivery going from excellent to those staccato weird ones are where your efforts need to go. Your capture and voice are fine, and it’s these people hear, not these tiny things, that frankly would fail the business test.

let’s say you were doing a commercial and you supplied the file at the price and they were happy and paid. If you had offered them a new versions with these tiny spikes removed for an extra hundred dollars, what do you think they’d say? That’s the difference between business and a big name going through a track second by second, demanding sonic perfection and not being interested in the people getting rich in the studio time invoice.

Can I ask how you found the click at it’s unnormalised level that we can’t hear?
I found the click during an audition, they asked for 10 seconds of room noise and thats when I noticed the click. It wasn't isolated to the one recording, it was present in subsequent attempts. I definitely was hyper focusing to make sure my breathing wasn't being picked up or that my animals don't make noise in the background, I don't think I would have picked this click up if I were in the middle of editing a piece.

The main reason I was concerned is my recordings have been more clicky, specifically a kind of deeper click that doesn't sound like its coming from my mouth. Though I have been drinking a lot more coffee in the hours before recording which usually makes me more clicky so I'm guessing thats it, but when I first heard this click I was wondering if maybe it was what was causing the other click and the way I edit was bringing it out, but at this point I think the two issues are unrelated.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying the last bit about time and money?

Well, I've found in the 40 years I have been recording that time and money in business really count. I'm the recipient of lots of recording made elsewhere. You press play and hear things you really shouldn't. Aircon in the UK is still a rarity. The usual sort we come across are the cassette type installed in suspended ceilings and they're often very noticeable in recordings - whirring and rumbling away, and quiet ones seem rare. I hear traffic noise and I hear fan noise from lots of kit people have in their recording spaces. I suspect that's why people ask you for room noise examples, to make sure you can do acceptable noise recordings which you can obviously do.

What I mean in my comments is that your examples for us to hear generated confused comments - usually we get a person mention noises and give us examples close to their noise floor - we amplify them and hear problems. Yours didn't generate problems, we tried again and we can see a small spike but even when amplified it's not intrusive.

Is it worth spending time, money and effort on something that cannot be heard, unless you actively chop it out, process it and reveal it. When your clients cannot hear it, why concern yourself with it?

I have two studios, one, my audio studio has all the noisy things in a separate room - and my computers have their monitors and keyboards and mice some way from the actual machine. My other studio is primarily for video and it's bigger but not treated for sound very well at all. I've recorded audio in it quite often on projects this year and the clients haven't noticed the noise floor change at all. In one, I can just hear the sound of the railway crossing out the back, but I had two options. Record the piece there and then, or get in the car and drive back the mile to my house and audio studio. I chose the simplest. Lazy maybe, but my time is precious.

When I work with some singers, they get really hung up on tiny, tiny features and totally ignore others. Often the ones they ignore are the ones that matter to the people who don't understand. I worked with one guy and he had a prosthetic leg. It constantly squeaked. So much that he never even noticed. It wrecked the recording and he simply could not hear it. Trying to convince him we needed to fix this was a battle!

Back