What is the best microphone available?

For one thing, there's no such thing. That's like saying, "what's the best color there is?"
As far as expensive and such, I just saw an Elam-251 go for $40,000 on ebay.

What is the best tool available, and how much does it cost? Have you ever tried to use a Diesel locomotive for a screwdriver?.
I'd say the best microphone is a Shure SM-57. It's cheap ($80), it can record *anything* (voice, guitar, bass, piano, amps, toms and snares. kick, or as an overhead for crashes & rides, etc.). In short, if you're able to ask the question, "what is the best mic?" with a straight face, it's the mic for you, because it will help you learn to ask more meaningful questions for a mere $80. The "best" mic is the one you can afford that will do the job right here, right now. And when you own that Elam, (you rich SOB), you'll still need a Shure SM-57, because for some jobs, that Elam will be the wrong mic, and the SM-57 will rock. BTW, what is the best motor vehicle? -Richie

CyanJaguar said:
I dont know which exact mic it is, but I can tell you right now that its a Neumann.
CJ, you crack me up sometimes!;)
Truth of the matter is, you're all wrong! :rolleyes:
This is the best mic: (attached)
:p :p :p

Attachments

• we.jpg
    we.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 68
Or maybe this one. Depends I guess. Forget tubes, forget dynamics, forget condensors, forget ribbons, that stuff is out the door!...... Carbon is where it's at baby! Gives you that incredible "Vintage" sound!!:D :D :D

Attachments

• westhse2.jpg
    westhse2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 50
Michael--next time, please skip the myriad technical details and just cut to the chase for all us laymen!:D No need to mention brand names, history, mic types or anthing of interest. :D

What are these fucking mics? :D :D :D

Back