What is the best microphone available?

crawdad said:
Michael--next time, please skip the myriad technical details and just cut to the chase for all us laymen!:D No need to mention brand names, history, mic types or anthing of interest. :D

What are these fucking mics? :D :D :D

hehehehe, I'm just havin fun!

The first one is a rare "WESTERN ELECTRIC Double-Button Carbon Model 600A" Spring Mounted Microphone, circa 1924. The springs were the shock mount.

The second one is a Westinghouse Condenser, from about the same time period.

Carbon was an integral part of really early mics. Ever see an old movie where someones on the phone, and they can't hear the person on the other end, so they bang the handset on the table or something?
They weren't doing this to be annoying. Sometimes the carbon would kind of "cake up" due to humidity and banging it like that lossened that carbon back up. Your grandmother probably had a phone like that: Big ole' beheameth black, bake-a-lite thing with a giant rotary dial? Those used carbon.

Very interesing site here if you're so inclined.

Thanks Michael! I'm going to check out the site now. That Western Electric model looks too cool! I love this stuff!

Re: Re: What is the best microphone available?

Blue Bear Sound said:
DEPENDS...

Actually, that might be a good product to glue to the interior walls of a vocal booth! :):D:D:D:D

Re: Re: Re: What is the best microphone available?

Buck62 said:

Actually, that might be a good product to glue to the interior walls of a vocal booth! :):D:D:D:D

Yeah, and you can getum for free out back in the bio-hazard dumpster of any hospital!:D

Make good pop filters, too!:D

Re: Re: Re: What is the best microphone available?

Buck62 said:

And if you look for used ones in matched pairs, you can either get a red, a yellowish or even a brownish interior of your vocal booth! ;)

"Goddamn Speedy, you made me loose my appetite for the next month!" :D

Back