What is rep power?

What is it...should I be giving people "rep points"?
Do people get annoyed if I don't give them rep points when I should?
In general what is the protocol for this?
I looked around using the search engine but couldn't find anything addressing this on a basic level!

Din't even know you could get or give them. Waste of bloody time IMO.

Dave.

But now I REALLY WANT TO KNOW because no one will tell me! I should probably just drop it though, because this one time, I got really addicted to playing "Sorority Life" on Facebook. I stayed up too late at night stealing boyfriends and trying to get on the leaderboard. It sounds like this might be a similar thing.

But now I REALLY WANT TO KNOW because no one will tell me! I should probably just drop it though, because this one time, I got really addicted to playing "Sorority Life" on Facebook. I stayed up too late at night stealing boyfriends and trying to get on the leaderboard. It sounds like this might be a similar thing.

When you click the little star thingy at the bottom left hand of someones post a reputation box will pop up and you can give a positive or negative comment about that post. Someone has already given you a few positive reps, I'll give you another, then check your profile and you'll see it. Sometimes you'll notice a newbie with red rep power, which usually means they have pissed everybody off and gotten negative reps Lol !

Rep power is like getting and losing Facebook "friends"..... important to some people, not that important to others, and meaningless to most.

As long as you're not perpetually in the "red".....don't worry about it too much.

Rep power is like getting and losing Facebook "friends"..... important to some people, not that important to others, and meaningless to most.

As long as you're not perpetually in the "red".....don't worry about it too much.

What's Facebook? Ok, I jest! I have Facebook...never DO Facebook!
Guess I am just too old and ornery to give a ****!

Dave.

What no-one's mentioned to date is that the AMOUNT of rep you get or lose depends upon the amount of rep the person giving / taking away has. So people who've been around for a while end up with maximum rep, like I have, and if I was to rep you, you'd get a whole bunch more than if a noob repped you...

And it's why you'll often see noobs with lots of red chicklets.... they've annoyed someone with lots of rep, and a single "neg" has given them quite a big negative score, which it takes some time to overcome... :D

I've been repped many times by noobs for providing some advice or other, and got a total of 0 points or "grey rep" as it's known - the vast majority of my rep has come from being an amusing smartarse (in my mind anyway)... which is why it's not really a particularly useful indicator of anything...

the vast majority of my rep has come from being an amusing smartarse (in my mind anyway)... which is why it's not really a particularly useful indicator of anything...

This. Some of my rep comes from what people thought were good or helpful answers, but a lot comes from cracking some corny joke that someone else (or a lot of people) liked.

You're so old fashioned you're probably still using tube amps.... ;)
You would THINK that wouldn't you? I do have a production, store bought EL34 amp here (for son) but it not a super pure "all valve" job.

I happen to believe that valves (toooobs! Are what you get in the middle of a bog roll) will gradually die out due to "Green" pressure. Partly because they are filthy things to make and if the Eastern factories have to clean up, the cost will sky rocket and of course they are "ungreen" because of their massive inefficiency.

Class D PAs and sophisticated modellers will be the way in ten years, except for the very rich.

Dave (wonder how many points THAT will cost me! (Greg????)

Hey, riding a garbage truck pays pretty good!
But honestly, he sounds more like a good candidate for the Senate! :D

Thanks for the explanations. I get it now. It's like being popular. So, it's EXACTLY like playing Sorority Life.

Eh, it's a little more than that. Sometimes it's nice to get feedback on what you said that was right. It reenforces the positive things you say. Makes you think about your good answers.
On the other hand, you can get nice rep for saying something EU more us.
Hopefully no one gives rep for a bashing, or a tell off but of course that's the rub...people get and lose rep for seemingly random things sometimes...
Like anything else in life, it can be used for good or bad, and you can't always regulate (or even postulate) which is which.

Back