What is a good way to record chimes?

studiogeek

I've tried close mic'ing (terrible results) and various distance mic'ing with both LD and SD condenser mics. Unfortunately the chimes end up sounding like a shrill white noise. I know it can be done (I've heard recordings - but I can't get a decent sound. I welcome any suggestions.

I second the distance, and would add, use a pair of LDC mics. Record them in stereo.

Think in terms of using a set of overheads on a drum kit. Same principle.

I second the distance, and would add, use a pair of LDC mics. Record them in stereo.

Think in terms of using a set of overheads on a drum kit. Same principle.
I routinely just open the door between my control room and the drum room, turn on the overheads and do hand percussion from the desk

Reactions: RFR
I‘ve miked up a few orchestra chimes, as in tubular bells, and I’d set a pair back over the players shoulders from left and right, but at the desk, whatever the level on the meters, distrust it, and knock the input gain down at least 10, probably 20 dB so it looks low. no idea why they trick meters like this.

Reactions: RFR
Could the transient from the initial attack trick the meters?
As in, it happens so fast the meters don’t register it properly?

I noticed it read very badly on PPMs, less bad on VUs - BUT - I sort of thought LED or onscreen meters I thought were immune, but maybe they too average out a few digital words to smooth real digital one sample clicks?

I've tried close mic'ing (terrible results) and various distance mic'ing with both LD and SD condenser mics. Unfortunately the chimes end up sounding like a shrill white noise. I know it can be done (I've heard recordings - but I can't get a decent sound. I welcome any suggestions.
Firstly, what kind of chimes are we talking about ? There are quite a few different sizes and the number of actual tubes varies. And then are we talking metal or wood ?
I have recorded chimes quite a bit. My chimes are small metal ones and I think they sound pretty lame, bordering on shrill. They're also deceptive. I like to have distance on them, but when I do that, they seem to barely register. And then close up, they don't sound bad at all, but there are sudden, unexpected spikes of clipping which amazes me because it doesn't seem loud enough for that to happen.
What I settle for is a bit of distance and I'll eventually take some of the highs off. Because I use varispeed when I record sometimes, I'll often record the chimes at a fast speed so the tone alters when played back at the right speed. I've garnered fair results with both condensers and dynamics.
The funny thing is, when all the other instruments are added, the chimes always sound good and they really kick through.

I note Mike Oldfield gave up on them, despite having an orchestra for his Tubular Bells tour - they were played from a keyboard!
I found a BBC recording from 1973 which is pretty horrible - the screen shot is two vocal stye cardioids taped to a boom arm!! Clearly the BBV didn't waste time and money on this one. The whole video is here - but it's pretty dire.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 11.06.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 11.06.57.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I noticed it read very badly on PPMs, less bad on VUs - BUT - I sort of thought LED or onscreen meters I thought were immune, but maybe they too average out a few digital words to smooth real digital one sample clicks?
Rob. I too thought 'DAW' meters were instantaneous for years but only about a month ago I read somewhere (prb' SoS) that they are not! They do have a rise time (and a fall time but that is obviously needed) . It seems this is to make the punter less cautious about levels and thus improve the overall S/N ratio. This under read can however catch you out with certain sound sources as the OP any others here have discovered!

I assume the OP is using a soft beater and not a bar of Iron?!!

Dave.

Dave, I was going to ask the same thing. I recorded some chimes and didn't really have a problem, but I didn't them like a gong. Just a soft touch and increase decrease level as required.

Honestly chimes are a good candidate for samples. It takes a few seconds to find a good chime sweep. It takes much longer to "perform" and record a chime sweep.

I've used a 414 and some light optical compression and played with the mic placement. It's not difficult, but you want your room quiet.

Back