What is a good cymbal cleaner?

Cobra67

I'm looking for a good cymbal cleaner/polish. I'm not a big fan of the Zildjian cymbal creme. All of my cymbals are "A" Zildjians. So basically I'd rather use a spray than a creme. Let me know your suggestions. Thanks ahead of time to whoever replies!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Sayers:
as noone seem to want to touch this one I'll put my bit in - I think you use Brasso - a brass cleaner!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree John. Brasso was what I always used when I was a Zildjian man. It seemed to work the best, and was a heck of alot cheaper than the "name brand" cymbal cleaners out there.

Tim

"Brasso"??? I've never heard of that. Is it actually FOR cymbals or just something you find at a hardware store? Really only two of my cymbals are heavily soiled, mainly fingerprints are my biggest peeve.

Groove Juice!!! To me, Groove Juice is the only way to go. Just spray it on, let it sit, and rinse it off. It's made specifically for cymbals (and maybe other drum parts, I dunno, just know it's made for cymbals) so it isn't really a material-specific cleaner...it's a cymbal-specific. I'm not saying Brasso is bad, but I've heard that it can damage some cymbals. Just regular hardware stuff could damage them too. If you've got good cymbals, don't be risky at all, even if you think it's a dumb risk. You can get Groove Juice at almost any music store that sells drums.

-Kow

Kow said:

Groove Juice!!! To me, Groove Juice is the only way to go. Just spray it on, let it sit, and rinse it off. It's made specifically for cymbals (and maybe other drum parts, I dunno, just know it's made for cymbals) so it isn't really a material-specific cleaner...it's a cymbal-specific. I'm not saying Brasso is bad, but I've heard that it can damage some cymbals. Just regular hardware stuff could damage them too. If you've got good cymbals, don't be risky at all, even if you think it's a dumb risk. You can get Groove Juice at almost any music store that sells drums.

-Kow
The only "damage" that Brasso will do, is take the "Wax Coating" off of a Pasite Cymbal-but ALL Cymbal Cleaners will do that.
Paiste Cymbals comes from the factory with a wax coating on them, and as long as you only use a mild soap and water on them, the wax coating will stay on-once it's removed though, you'll be cleaning those cymbals forever!!! They have such a high copper content, that they get "green spots" really fast.
I do not suggest using a car buffer to clean your cymbals.
I have a friend who uses one, and he "burned" one of his Zildjian cymbals with it, and actually changed the cymbal's sound!

Tim

Forum Rules:

You might check with your local drum shop. Explorers Percussion in K.C. has a high tech machine that does all the dirty work for you. They come out looking like new and at $5-$7 per cymbal it's the only way to go!

Well I did end up buying some "Groove Juice". The guy at the music store said that the only down side to it is that it will take logos off WITH the dirt. He said as long as I'm careful with it around the logos it should be OK. Well anyway I tried it on one of my older cymbals and it polished it but it still looks kind of nasty. But I haven't tried it on my new cymbals yet. I guess I'll wait till I get some more stick marks (those damn nylon ones are hard to get out) before I give it a try. Anyway...ON TO MY ONCE-AN-EON CYMBAL CLEANING ADVENTURE!!! Thanks again guys for the suggestions!

We have a product called "Tarnoff" which is liquid and is used to clean brass, silver etc - is that the same as your juice stuff?

cymbal cleaning

There used to be a company out of Ohio that had a product that was really good. Anyone know of it? I'm having a real problem with dirty cymbals. This was a granual type add water turned into a paste

lol his first post too, hats off for using the search feature :D

Our drummer puts his in the bath with vinegar...no idea why

I have one too good not to share... "Kaboom!" Shower Door Cleaner.
Do not use it on B85 or whatever freaky alloys (Paiste, Sabian).

Supposedly, it contains the same (or very similar) ingredients as "Groove Juice".

Forget about the crap that Zildjian and Sabian sell, and forget about Brasso too. You'll get better results with less rubbing using this:
index_05.gif

I've used it for years and there's nothing as good.

Im I one of the few who prefers not to clean their cymbal? Sure, a nice shiny cymbal looks good on stage, but i feel like the little bit of grime adds some different characteristics to the cymbals.

Back